Writing a paper-not sure which topic to choose?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
HistPolity

Writing a paper-not sure which topic to choose?

Post by HistPolity » 19 Feb 2014, 02:19

Hi all,
Hope everything has been well!

I am enrolled in an undergrad senior thesis/capstone class for my one of my major(s) which is history, and the topic is the Third Reich. We have to write a large and extensive paper on a topic dealing with this aspect of European history throughout the semester. It can be on any Third Reich related topic whether it be military, social, or economic history, the Holocaust, politics, culture etc.

I am having a hard time picking a topic to do it on and would like some advice. I have narrowed it down to two totally different one's

1, I was going to do it on the Third Reich's A-bomb program and why Germany placed more emphasis on other developing other weapons(ex. wonder weapons) instead of this one.

2, I was going to do it on relations between Germany/Turkey and why Turkey never entered Second World War on the side of the Axis.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on these topics and whether they would be feasible and fairly uncomplicated to write on? Also would I be able to find many reputable primary/secondary sources on ether of these?

Thank you for your thoughts and advice in advance,

HistPolity,

Linden Lyons

Re: Writing a paper-not sure which topic to choose?

Post by Linden Lyons » 19 Feb 2014, 11:30

HistPolity wrote:...
2, I was going to do it on relations between Germany/Turkey and why Turkey never entered Second World War on the side of the Axis. ...
If you plan to write something on the diplomatic relations and foreign policy of Nazi Germany, a good primary source is "Documents on German Foreign Policy" (several volumes published in London from 1949 onwards). However, I don't know to what extent there is material on German-Turkish relations.

There's also "German Foreign Office Documents: German Policy in Turkey, 1941-1943" (Moscow, 1948). I haven't actually looked at this book, so I'm unsure whether or not it'll be useful.

histan

Post by histan » 21 Feb 2014, 11:25

Hi HistPolity

I would suggest that you chose relations between Germany and Turkey.

If you search this forum you will find heated discussions on German development (or not!) of the A bomb, which when I read them suggests to me that this is a subject to avoid. Too many claims and counter-claims.

The UK had established military relations with Turkey - military missions and training I think so I think there was a struggle between the UK and Germany for Turkey. I am sure there is a story to be uncovered.

Regards

John

steve248

Post by steve248 » 23 Feb 2014, 21:40

I do a lot of research in UK archives among German POW material. Most of this was copied to US intelligence agencies and available at US NARA.

Several subjects have never been researched from these records - and there are thousands of them.

1. Was the technical data on German equipment (airplane technology, engines, equipment of various sorts) taken up by the Allies for their use? Hundreds if not thousands of German POW reports made precise drawings and explanations of various bits of kit.

2. When the POWs disclosed possible air-raid targets (munitions, communications, centres of various operations) were these ever bombed/attacked by the Allies?

3. Many POWs reported on the V-1 doodlebug technology, manufacture and use, similarly with the other V-weapons, what happened to this information and was it used by the Allies?

4. US intelligence agencies of one kind of another, interviewed all the U-boat personnel captured by the US Navy in the Atlantic, and possibly other places, who were all brought to US POW camps. What did they have to say and was any use made of their information.

Just a few ideas.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”