The SA after 1934 during the war

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
scottylad

The SA after 1934 during the war

Post by scottylad » 07 Apr 2014, 17:08

I must admit to not knowing much information about the SA after the Night of the Long Knives in 1934 though I was interested to read that this paramilitary group were still active in 1945
Clearly before 1934 they were involved in the murder of Nazi political opponents, as well as I understand guarded concentration camps.
Does anyone know what were mainly the crimes carried out by this organisation after 1934 - I am aware in 1938 they carried out much of the horrific violence against Jews during the Night of Broken Glass
I read in a book "Hitlers Empire" by Mark Mowzer [Correction Mazower / Mike Miller, Moderator] that as well as SS Governors in different districts of occupied Europe there were also SA Governors running different districts = would these areas be more therefore controlled by the SA than the SS and policed by the SA?

Were there still concentration camps being run by the SA during the war or police buildings?

I used to think the SA had all but disappeared in June 1934, but clearly they did not

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Re: The SA after 1934 during the war

Post by Maxschnauzer » 08 Apr 2014, 03:41

scottylad,
You may be interested in this "Diary of an S.A. Leader" of 1938-39. It gives a fascinating look at the mission and day to day activities of the SA (mainly organizing, political education, propaganda and physical training from what I can tell) during this period just before the war. I suspect most of the SA members of military age were absorbed into the Wehrmacht once the war started.
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/tagebuch.htm
Cheers,
Max

scottylad

Post by scottylad » 08 Apr 2014, 12:48

Maxschnauzer wrote:scottylad,
You may be interested in this "Diary of an S.A. Leader" of 1938-39. It gives a fascinating look at the mission and day to day activities of the SA (mainly organizing, political education, propaganda and physical training from what I can tell) during this period just before the war. I suspect most of the SA members of military age were absorbed into the Wehrmacht once the war started.
Max thank you very much for this link

Tessio

Post by Tessio » 23 Apr 2014, 23:41

Do you happen to know the name of the SA leader that wrote that journal. It seems to be missing from the article.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 24 Apr 2014, 00:07

Tessio wrote:
Do you happen to know the name of the SA leader that wrote that journal. It seems to be missing from the article.
Negative, Tessio. Sorry.
Cheers,
Max

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”