Peter-Erich Cremer's recollections of Flensburg

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Bouwmeester

Peter-Erich Cremer's recollections of Flensburg

Post by Bouwmeester » 20 Jul 2014, 14:00

I'm currently investigating the Flensburg government and have already read several books and articles, both in English and German, dealing with this particular period. However, in Jordan Vause's biography of Wolfgang Lüth I read a quote from Peter-Erich Cremer's autobiography (U-Boat Commander: A Periscope View of the Battle of the Atlantic) which provided a few details about Cremer's days in Flensburg-Mürwik, where he was in charge of the naval academy's guard battalion: "there were nightly shootings, short bursts from a machine gun, and hand grenades were occasionally thrown—every kind of dangerous mischief was practiced."

Does anyone know more about this book, and to which extent the days of the Flensburg government are described? I'd like to ascertain if my research is complete enough, and Cremer's book is relatively hard to obtain. Should it provide important additional details, I might try to purchase it after all.

Ponury

Re: Peter-Erich Cremer's recollections of Flensburg

Post by Ponury » 16 Aug 2014, 19:35

It was the end. Probably were scenes like the movie "The Fall" in 2004. Drunkenness, debauchery .... what were they to do?

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”