Drop of University Students during the Third Reich

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
phylo_roadking

Re: Drop of University Students during the Third Reich

Post by phylo_roadking » 14 Sep 2014, 23:04

One obvious question...

Were university students in the Third Reich universally immune from compulsory labour or military service...?

Before the war I mean...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 15 Sep 2014, 17:15

Not from military service (and this was common for all countries with compulsory military service)

Boby

Post by Boby » 19 Jan 2016, 11:27

Knouterer wrote:Without checking, I would suppose that WWI was (largely) to blame. An 18-yr old in 1933 about to go to university would have been born in 1915. However, the number of births in 1915 was probably (much) lower than normal: husbands away at the front, many marriages postponed because of the war ... so have a look at the birth rates over the war years and after. Should not be hard ti find.
Yes, you are correct. Here is the German census population of 1939 breakdown by age:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksz%C3 ... Reich_1939

People who reached 22-25 in 1939 were almost half of pre-1915 levels. Note that the numbers are different from registered births; unfortunately many of them died at a very early age.

starr

Post by starr » 27 Jan 2016, 13:15

Boby wrote:In the Summer Semester of 1932 there were 98.852 Students in the 23 German Universities. The number droped to 48.558 in Winter Semester of 1936/37. This number doesn't include Technischen Hochschule (20.494 in SS 1932).

Jewish students were a minority (about 4.000 in 1932) and women 18.316 (18,5%) in SS 1932. In SS 1936 they represented 16% of all Students, almost the same. In some Universities the drop reached 70% in WS 1936/37 compared to SS 1932 (Rostock: 2.686 / 790).

What were the reasons of such decline?
There were foreign students too. I wonder if they were sent packing by the nazis ? Creating a decline in numbers at uni.
Dear Karma: I have a wish list & you had missed it!

Boby

Post by Boby » 29 Jan 2016, 22:06

CRAIG CARR

Post by CRAIG CARR » 30 Jan 2016, 03:52

Maybe seeing these laws passed under the Third Reich may be of help in explaining the drop in students.If one had a supporting parent who were doctors or lawyers providing the funds to send their kids schools of higher education,on April 4th of 1933, all Jewish students were banned from highschool. Jewish doctors had their licenses revoked. If one's family stability was tied to the military, on 4.21 of 1935,all Jewish members of the armed forces were expelled, and whatever military educational privelage given for service to the country was revoked. On 9.15, the Nurnberger laws were instituted without popular consent denying employment to all civil servants who were mass fired and denied civil rights as German citizens...without those rights you were unemployable and virtually "invisible" to society. Jewish teachers were fired en masse under the classification of "civil servant".
On 2.2 of 1938, - all gas and electricity was turned off in Jewish households.And on 9.27 of 1938, - all lawyers licenses were revoked and their driver's licenses.On 11.15- all Jewish students were banned from attending ANY schools.On 11. 23, - all Jewish owned businesses were dissolved and forced to sell for pennies on the dollar. On 12.13.38- all their homes and businesses were forced to sell. On 12.31, all automobiles were confiscated. By April 3,1939 -- Aryan Purity laws were used to evict families from their apartments, as the Eviction Protection Law was dissolved. Given these harsh and unwarranted laws passed overnight with only a pen stroke from Hitler one day and published the following day... and made "Law" the same day without challenge, they caused enormous hardships that made life for any student and their families perilous to say the very least.
Under Section 114 of the " Ermachtigungsgesetz Law" (the Enabling Act) passed March 24,1933, the right to ANY personal expression of personal opinion or public protest against any government action was made an arrestible offense. Worrying about attending a University I think would have been an extremely low priority given the circumstances stated above in each household across Berlin where my mother grew up under this nightmare. Like my mother - a Protestant, the public knew little or nothing of these and many other awful laws passed until after the war ended. Maybe though,this will give you a little insight as to what the civilian public had to endure. kindest regards, CRAIG

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”