Relations between French Civilians and German forces

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Uffz d Res

Re: Relations between French Civilians and German forces

Post by Uffz d Res » 25 Jan 2015, 04:57

Just found this wonderful website.

Sage 3525, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your long post above.You have put into words the thoughts of many, particularly when it comes to propaganda. I am a German, but spent most of my life overseas. It never ceases to amaze me at the ignorant attitudes about Germans still prevalent in european societies. Particularly the French and yes, British.

"I think it has to do with the fact that France, UK, governments...Were the STRONGEST in brainwashing their population with black propaganda.
The Germans even under the Nazis never dehumanized the French or English in that sort of way. The propaganda was there, but very different (focused on Jews or some other racist ideology. But the propaganda always wanted to turn the English&French to the German cause, not antagonize them as much)"

You have really hit the nail on the head with that paragraph. How very, very true. I think Goebbels was an amateur compared to the propaganda chiefs of other nations! I have some personal experience in that regard:
Living in the U.S. in the sixties, (remember, only 20 years since the war and idiotic TV sitcoms like Hogan' Heroes being watched by most.) An acquaintance of mine told me that just after the war her mother had seen a train full of German P.O.W's passing by their town. She was amazed that the young men leaning out of the windows of the train did not at all look like monsters, but perfectly normal men.
Once, while watering my garden, I inadvertently splashed some water on some young man visiting the people next door (Of course, the neighbours knew me), when this young visitor started complaining, he was told "watch out, he's a German," whereupon the young man beat a hurried retreat.

Another time, visiting some friends in Texas, I was alone in their house when a newspaper boy knocked on the door. When I answered it, the boy asked me where I was from (my non-American accent). I told him I was German. You should have seen the look on his face when he stammered: " ...gee, I've never seen a German before"

i could go on and on about such experiences.

So thanks for your post Sarge 3525. More than just enlightening. I hope lots of young people read it and try to understand.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”