German views on Japanese culture, people, philosophy, history?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Sarge3525

German views on Japanese culture, people, philosophy, history?

Post by Sarge3525 » 16 Jan 2015, 17:42

Hello all.
I am curious about the German (1933-1945) view of Japanese culture, people, philosophy, language, history, etc. I mean the opinions of all Germans in position of political or military power (Wehrmacht), Nazi or not.

1. Was the German leadership mostly clueless about Japanese culture, being very focused on European knowledge (as is typical for a European of the time)?

2. Do you know of any quotes from the German leadership, German thinkers, etc...About Japanese culture and their view of it?

This is not a question about "why Japanese & Germans were allies", or "Oh Nazis were racist why they were allied to Japanese" and so on. I am simply interested in first hand sources on the German mentality about Japan. The question is really *less about politics* than it is about the really anthropological/cultural discussion (for example I am not so interested about the fact that Nazis probably weren't happy about the British Empire losing ground to the Japanese in Asia, I mean not in a military context).

1. I am aware of the German treatment of Japan as "Honorary Aryans". This seems to possibly indicate they understood Japanese culture to be superior than surrounding Asian cultures and thus that Japanese culture was researched?

2. I am aware of actual exchanges between the two countries. For example Hitler youth visiting Japan aswell as other Top Nazis.

Timmy
Banned

Re: German views on Japanese culture, people, philosophy, history?

Post by Timmy » 26 Jan 2015, 20:10

Hitler certainly had nothing against the Japanese people.

Hitler's views on the Japanese:

"Pride in one's own race – and that does not imply contempt for other races – is also a normal and healthy sentiment. I have never regarded the Chinese or the Japanese as being inferior to ourselves. They belong to ancient civilizations, and I admit freely that their past history is superior to our own. They have the right to be proud of their past, just as we have the right to be proud of the civilization to which we belong. Indeed, I believe the more steadfast the Chinese and the Japanese remain in their pride of race, the easier I shall find it to get on with them."

Hitler expressed support for the Japanese in Mein Kampf when they defeated the Russians:

When the Russo-Japanese War came I was older and better able to judge for myself. For national reasons I then took the side of the Japanese in our discussions. I looked upon the defeat of the Russians as a blow to Austrian Slavism."

Himmler also took great interest in the Japanese, he viewed them as having the same racial qualities as the German-Nordics.

GIEH

Post by GIEH » 30 Jan 2015, 01:19

At the start of WW2 Hitler admired the British for their empire (apparently) and he was an avid reader/admirer of Napolean and yes he admired the Japanese so it's feasible that Hitler admired any nation or race that he considered was wanting to take over the world. One exception to this of course were the jews who he considered did want to take over the world but evidently did not impress him.

I certainly do not believe that Hitler would have looked down on the Japanese for not being Aryan, in fact there's a lot to support the concept that Hitlers rallying calls about superior Aryanism was exactly that, a rallying call to unite Germans into a patriotic fever. We certainly know that Hitlers personal views were not always parallel to his speeches. In a common piece of film footage showing Hitler stood idly chatting with Himmler at his Bavarian lair, they recently got deaf German lip-readers to translate and he is commenting to Hitler how hard and brave the average Russian soldier is, this at a time when he was telling Germany how sub-human and inferior they were.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 02 Feb 2015, 20:11

An off-topic post by Timmy was removed.

/Marcus

CRAIG CARR

Post by CRAIG CARR » 07 Feb 2015, 21:57

This is highly unscientific, but when my mother performed in the 1936 Olympic Games opening ceremonies.... the teachers instructed the high school students. like her, were given a strange and silly classroom instruction as a way to determine what Asian country nationality the guests to Berlin were from without appearing to be rude or too inquisitive. They were told that Japanese visitors had a distinct scent of fish from the steady diet of sashimi. Chinese guests were scented of spice from the herbs they used in their cooking. And Koreans were known for their scent of cabbage from the national consumption of
" Kimchee". My mother at age 90, looks back at these instructional directives and thinks they were pretty silly, but everytime they got on the subway or trolley during the Olympics of 1936.. they found themselves subconsciously sniffing the air around Asian guests in hopes they could determine their nationalities.It did not deter the students from expressing their daily classroom blackboard assignment to say in English: "Welcome to Berlin! we are so pleased you have come to our city, have a wonderful time while you are here!" and told to look the visitor in the eyes and extend their hands with a big smile of welcome." 79 years later.. it still is a nice polite piece of advise.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”