Could a Mischling 2nd deg work as an MD in 42-44? +adoption question

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
winterlight

Could a Mischling 2nd deg work as an MD in 42-44? +adoption question

Post by winterlight » 09 Feb 2015, 04:22

I'm writing a novel and trying to fill in some gaps (many gaps, actually!). I would like to have my female protagonist, who has one Jewish grandparent only, be able to work in Vienna as a doctor during some part of the period 1942-44. Would this have been possible? On a related matter, how were people with untraceable/adoption backgrounds (foundlings, etc) treated as far as determination of Aryan/Jew/Mischling? Would such people be able to get regular papers/travel documents, or not? Lastly, a truly obsessional question: the person in the book left Austria in 1932 (for education in US), after growing up there, and decides to return in mid-1941(for complex reasons). She is able to obtain a current/new German passport from the overseas consulate by presenting her defunct Austrian Reisepass (anyway, that's what my local German consulate says today). Obviously, the birth/baptismal/etc records of her parents and ancestors are not available to this consulate. Do you think they would just rely on what she tells them? Could she get away with neglecting to mention her one Jewish grandparent?
Thanks in advance - I just discovered this forum and I can see I'll be spending a lot of time here. Sorry if these questions have been covered already, I did not find them in my search.

Helmut0815

Re: Could a Mischling 2nd deg work as an MD in 42-44? +adoption question

Post by Helmut0815 » 12 Mar 2015, 21:29

winterlight wrote:I'm writing a novel and trying to fill in some gaps (many gaps, actually!). I would like to have my female protagonist, who has one Jewish grandparent only, be able to work in Vienna as a doctor during some part of the period 1942-44. Would this have been possible?
As far as I know there were no restrictions for a Mischling 2nd degree to work as a doctor or pharmacist. Misxchlinge 1st degree certainly were not allo.wed
But since 1934 women in general were not allowed to run their own doctor's surgery so your protagonist would only be able to work as an employed doctor in another surgery or in a hospital.

regards

Helmut

Paratrout

Re: Could a Mischling 2nd deg work as an MD in 42-44? +adoption question

Post by Paratrout » 13 Mar 2015, 09:30

Bryan Rigg has an excellent book about mischling soldiers and the info regarding racial laws might be of assistance to your work. Take a look at it if you haven't already read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitlers-Jewish-So ... ers+jewish

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”