Help Identifying a Soldier

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
joe.sbg

Help Identifying a Soldier

Post by joe.sbg » 15 Feb 2015, 15:11

My Great-grandfather was in the Waffen-SS and I have some German paperwork, not much of it making sense to me but its all birth and marriage certifcates. However I do have a photo to upload and I was hoping somebody on here might be able to tell me a bit more by his uniform. I know he was a mechanic by trade and he drove trains. Sorry for the lack of information. I tried to attatch the photos but htey were too large so I made a little video on youtube containing the photos, only 14 seconds long. My great-grandad is the taller man on the left. Thanks

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Help Identifying a Soldier

Post by John G. » 16 Feb 2015, 12:29

Both are wearing the uniform of the Reichsbahn (Railroad/Transport/Tram Operators-Drivers....), most obvious are "winged RR wheel" devices on his collar tabs- can't see enough detail to say much more....(Great Granddad does have a "party pin".... so party member)

It's "possible" an older R.Bahn worker ended up in the Waffen SS but would need to see the paperwork, etc. ..... nothing in the " clip" has anything to do with the SS directly....
John G.

joe.sbg

Re: Help Identifying a Soldier

Post by joe.sbg » 16 Feb 2015, 21:38

Thanks John. I've been trying to put bits and pieces together. I've been meaning to get in touch with a German speaker I know to go through some papers. Along with the papers I have my great-grandmothers certificate for having 6 children, not that that answers any more questions. I also tried getting in touch with the people at the German archives place but to no avail.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”