Nazi hideout in jungle location in South America

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
alexWong

Nazi hideout in jungle location in South America

Post by alexWong » 26 Mar 2015, 20:25

Archaeologists may have discovered secret Nazi hideout in jungle location.
Archaeologists in Argentina believed a collection of ruins found deep in a remote jungle region might be the remains of a secret hideout built by German Nazis to flee to after the second world war, it was reported.

A team of archaeologists was studying the remains of three buildings located in the Teyu Cuare provincial park in northern Argentina on its border with Paraguay, the Clarin newspaper said.

The University of Buenos Aires researchers have found five German coins minted between 1938 and 1941 and a fragment of porcelain plate bearing the inscription 'Made in Germany'.

"Apparently, halfway through the second world war, the Nazis had a secret project of building shelters for top leaders in the event of defeat - inaccessible sites, in the middle of deserts, in the mountains, on a cliff or in the middle of the jungle like this," the archaeologists' team leader Daniel Schavelzon told Clarin.

Ultimately, though, the hideout wasn't needed.

Thousands of Nazis, Croatian Ustasha fascists and Italian fascists arrived in Argentina after the war with the blessing of president Juan Peron, who led the nation from 1946 to 1955 and again in the 1970s, according to the Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre.

In 1960, Nazi Adolf Eichmann, who helped organise the Holocaust, was captured in Buenos Aires by an Israeli commando team and tried in Israel, where he was executed.

Among the other Nazis who sought refuge in Argentina was the infamous Dr Joseph Mengele.

The so-called 'Angel of Death', notorious for his horrific experimentation on prisoners at the Auschwitz concentration camp, fled to Argentina, then Paraguay and Brazil, where he died in 1979.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as Archaeologists may have found secret Nazi hideout
Attachments
german-coins.jpg
German Nazi era coins founded at the site

alexWong

Re: Nazi hideout in jungle location in South America

Post by alexWong » 26 Mar 2015, 20:26

Bokkop

Post by Bokkop » 26 Mar 2015, 20:45

What astonishing powers of deduction. Some coins and a piece of tableware 'Made in Germany' = proof of a Nazi hideout.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 27 Mar 2015, 11:43

Bokkop wrote:What astonishing powers of deduction. Some coins and a piece of tableware 'Made in Germany' = proof of a Nazi hideout.
I agree ...... what a bunch of Crap :lol: .... maybe "Nazi Zombies" were brought there by UFOs :lol: .... or they moved their secret North Pole U-Boat base to the jungle :lol: .... or some native kid lost his coin collection....

John G.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 27 Mar 2015, 14:54

I, who do not collect either coins or Nazi memorabilia, have six, greying, base metal, Nazi era coins myself and I inherited two pieces of Delft from my Gran. Not only that, but my grandfather left me a typewriter containing an SS rune key.

Despite this overwhelming evidence that my flat was used as a bolt hole for fleeing Nazis, I would like to declare the innocence of both myself and my grandparents in the sheltering of war criminals.

Cheers,

Sid.

Harro

Post by Harro » 27 Mar 2015, 17:03

Well, luckily Aprils fools day is just around the corner ;)

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 28 Mar 2015, 11:47

It often seems that the job of a journalist these days is to discover a molehill and somehow make a mountain out of it before their deadline.
Cheers,
Max

Atrevida

Post by Atrevida » 24 Apr 2015, 18:42

I have lived in Argentina for fifteen years.

What must be remembered is that, under current policies of the Kirchner Government in bed with the Russians, any archaeological find which highlights collaboration by the Argentine Government with the Third Reich during the war must be suppressed. "Nazi leaders" hiding themselves in the jungle of Misiones province without anybody knowing is acceptable. A Nazi laboratory protected by the local gendarmerie and troops from across the River Paraná is quite another matter.

These are the pertinent facts.

It is reported that 5,000 German items have been discovered besides the coinage and porcelain.
The site is that of old Jesuit ruins from the 16th century. These are found in the park only nine kilometres down a dirt road from the small town and tourist trap of San Ignacio. The German structure is allegedly a three-storey command post with stone walls three-metres thick built "in the middle of the war" by the Luftwaffe. It is less than a mile from the River Paraná which runs from the doorstep southwards to join the River Plate and the South Atlantic. Paraguay is on the other side of this river, only one mile wide at this point.

What seems far more likely than a premature "Nazi hideout" is that this was a Luftwaffe command post protecting some underground laboratory where work could proceed unhindered by the bombing in Europe. (After the war technological projects were transferred to Bariloche.)

What has to be remembered is that during the Great Paraguayan War of 1864-1870, the Argentines excavated numerous tunnels in this very place and not all have been discovered. All I am suggesting is that here we have a Third Reich outpost reachable by Type II U-boats from the South Atlantic (see my entry today in the U-boats sub-forum) where work on advanced Luftwaffe technologies could proceed in peace with the proviso that, as at Luftwaffe places in Europe such as Castle Kiasz in Poland, upon the advance of hostile forces the defenders in the post would hold them off while evacuating the underground laboratories before blowing them up.

If this is the truth of the matter, rest assured that every effort will be made to suppress the information and you will have to make do with a "Nazi hideout".

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 25 Apr 2015, 12:46

Hi Atrevida,

Well, those 5,000 items haven't surfaced yet. My bet is that they never will.

The whole story is silly in the extreme.

As far as I am aware, the Luftwaffe had no operational presence in South America. The Army's and SS's security services did and the Navy also engaged in monitoring Allied shipping movements

German air interests consisted of holdings in several Latin American civil airlines and pre-war production of trainer aircraft in Argentina and Brazil.

Cheers,

Sid.

Atrevida

Post by Atrevida » 25 Apr 2015, 16:54

No suggestion was made of Luftwaffe operations, but of laboratory work similar to that being carried out at Ksiaz castle and at Waldenburg in Poland in connection with the Bell project.

Based on six coins and a piece of pottery, those amazing Argentine archaeologists and academics established that that jungle structure was built by the Luftwaffe probably in 1942. My bet is that most of the other items mentioned will be papers and not necessarily found in situ.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 26 Apr 2015, 10:27

Hi Atrevida,

I was not suggesting Luftwaffe operations either. My point was that there seems to have been no known Luftwaffe presence in Latin America at this time, whereas there was known navy, army and SS intelligence activity.

Why is your bet "that most of the other items mentioned will be papers and not necessarily found in situ"? What do you think you know that you are not telling us?

This whole story is silliness on stilts. So far there is absolutely no evidence for any of it. My bet is that it will stay that way, like all the other Argentina-related Hitler stories.

Cheers,

Sid.

wm

Post by wm » 26 Apr 2015, 19:01

The hideout:

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 26 Apr 2015, 21:04

Hi wm,

From the clip, I see that there were, in fact, more non-German coins found than German coins and that one of them was a British King George V penny. I presume, by logical extension, this means that MI5 were also operating from this site?

Furthermore, from the commentary, it appears that only one piece of pottery was found and this, by pure coincidence, happened to have the words "Made in Germany" on it in English. Perhaps this is more evidence of British deviousness?

I am sorry, but there is no trace of 5,000 pieces of additional evidence anywhere in the clip. It simply shows that earlier reports were only partial and inclined to flag up the tenuous German connection at the expense of other contradictory things found.

Cheers,

Sid.

wm

Post by wm » 27 Apr 2015, 12:23

To be quite correct the made in labels have usually been written in English only - for convenience reasons. They were/are required by tariff/trade regulations (so called rules of origin) of many countries.

The British coins can easily be explained by assuming von Ribbentrop was there :) .

Atrevida

Post by Atrevida » 27 Apr 2015, 17:54

I have to remark how gormless and silly it is of people to reply on English language versions relating to the archaeological dig by the Centre for Urban Archaeology of the University of Buenos Aires.

One must go to the original language for the greater depth, since one must always suspect that the English language versions are subject to approval and editing from on high before publication as appears to be the case here.

El National of Caracas of 27 April 2015 (see Internet) reports an interview with the director of archaeology at the site. The purpose of re-examining these ruins is to debunk the myth that it was a hideout for Bormann, as the local official tourist mythology has it.

The number of items found and to be assessed is said to be 2,000. The physical items include porcelain of German origin, containers and bottles of German origin from the 1940s. The German coins were found below the concrete foundation of the structure, ie. they were there before the walls were put up.

There are three complex structures. One is a small house for a few people. The second is a large store and the third is a defensive post on a ridge overlooking the entire territory. The major items are documents from 1941 prepared by the German secret services.

The documents will not necessarily be all of German origin. Argentina and Paraguay were hand-in-glove with the Third Reich throughout the war and the building of these structures can hardly have gone unnoticed either by the park rangers or by observers on the River Paraná.

Therefore one awaits the official report before jumping to any conclusions.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”