Nazi hideout in jungle location in South America

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Annelie

Re: Nazi hideout in jungle location in South America

Post by Annelie » 27 Apr 2015, 22:17

I have to remark how gormless and silly it is of people to reply on English language versions relating to the archaeological dig by the Centre for Urban Archaeology of the University of Buenos Aires.

That is a bit harsh judgement. Is that also an indication that your intelligent? Well, this is a forum where people are allowed to
interact and give their opinions whether hasty or not. A simple explanation would do without calling them gormless.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 28 Apr 2015, 14:34

Hi Atrevida,

I would point out that my reply was based on a Spanish language link provided by you.

Furthermore, I see the number of recovered items has suddenly fallen from 5,000 to 2,000!

A Venezuelan news report is no more likely to be accurate than an English-language one, but if you think it important, please put a link up here.

You write, ".....one must always suspect that the English language versions are subject to approval and editing from on high before publication...." That is plain silly. Nobody "on high" in the modern world has any interest in this story. It is either fiction or history, neither of which are likely to have resonance for those "on high" today.

There is still not only no evidence of any documentation in anything you have provided here, but no reference to it either.

"Argentina ......was hand in glove with the Third Reich throughout the war". Nonsense. Argentina was trying to pursue a neutral course independent of US domination, which irritated Washington and led the USA to look for Axis influences even where there weren't any. Declining to follow US foreign policy requirements is not the same thing as being "hand in glove with the Third Reich."

Moreover, Argentina was massively supportive of the other major Western Ally, the UK. It supplied enormous amounts of corned beef, leather, etc., to the British Army on credit. The British also bought pistols there for SOE. Nor did Argentina demand immediate payment for all this. Most of this money were kept in frozen accounts in London until after the war, when they were released to Peron. Thus, in effect, the Argentine Government was giving the British a considerable line of credit with which to subsidize their war.

Furthermore, Argentina played a valuable role in keeping Spain neutral. Spain could only feed itself fully with Argentine wheat, much of which was supplied on a deferred payment basis due to Spain's lack of financial resources. This had to pass through the British, later Allied, blockade of Europe. Thus Britain, with indirect Argentine compliance, had enormous influence over Franco's foreign policy. He stayed neutral.

Cheers,

Sid.

Atrevida

Post by Atrevida » 28 Apr 2015, 18:39

Sid Gutteridge

All right Sid, I take your point if your personal reply was based on my Spanish language link. If you were a writer and translator, you would know the interest taken in Argentine wartime and immediate postwar affairs by those "on high" elsewhere. Suddenly you find for example two pages of your own book inexplicably blank in publication. This draws the writer's attention to sensitive material and now he knows that what was censored is sensitive, but of course he is not in a position to broadcast it.

The number of papers recovered is said to be 2,000 in the Venezuelan interview report, that is the German secret service papers, there will be far more paperwork from the Paraguayan and Argentine authorities who were aware of the activity and noted all the comings and goings.

As you can read for yourself, the Venezuelan news report was an interview with the leader of the Argentine archaeological team. He has a Spanish language blog you can consult. The English language reports were based on translations but with the most important facts edited out such that contributors to this sub-forum believed that the story was nonsense and all said so. They were misled and deliberately.

I have to advise that I am not taking part in this debate here any further under advice. In due course matters will come to a head.

However in conclusion I would mention that the last time I was in the San Ignacio area, before this current affair, I picked up some pictorial literature and maps. The third structure, the lookout position, had no accomodation and was perched on a 300-foot mount right at the water's edge. This provided an unrestricted view of movements up- and down-stream, across the Paraguayan plain and over the Misiones jungle. The other two structures were built of masonry from Jesuit ruins: it was the practice of local people to tear down Jesuit ruins and use the stonework to build their own houses: the Germans did the same as a form of camouflage.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 29 Apr 2015, 12:36

Hi Atrevida,

I ask again, can we please have a link to this Venezualan report? Venezuela is not a central part of this fanciful story. It is Argentina, where the find supposedly took place, and Germany, which is supposedly the source of this find, that are relevant.

You will have to be more specific about "blank pages". Otherwise reference to it has no weight or significance here.

You write, "In due course matters will come to a head.". No, I doubt they will. It is classic conspiracy theory smoke and mirrors with changeable numbers of secret documents being held out of reach of others on a promise of later revelation and hints of a cover up from "on high."

This whole thing continues to look deeply unconvincing.

Cheers,

A sceptical Sid.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”