Beer and Brewing in the Third Reich

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Ononefoot39

Beer and Brewing in the Third Reich

Post by Ononefoot39 » 21 Oct 2015, 06:08

This is something I've wondered about and would like to eventually write on. Germany is known for its beer. How was beer and breweries regulated under the Nazi regime? What kind of sources and materials are available on this topic?

The only mention I've seen on this topic is in Waitman Wade Beorn's book "Marching into Darkness" where he mentions the Pupko Brewery in what was then Belorussia and how the head brewers, who were both German deployed by the Nazi regime, employed Jews to save them from being murdered. Also, according to Beorn, the brewery was a haven for the Bielski brothers in recruiting partisans. It has not been proven whether or not the head brewer, Joachim Lochbihler, turned a blind eye to partisan activity.

der Eiserne

Re: Beer and Brewing in the Third Reich

Post by der Eiserne » 04 Nov 2015, 03:49

I am quite interested in this topic too since I love beer especially German beer brewed in Munich. I was also wondering myself. I hope somebody posts some information.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 04 Nov 2015, 07:03

There is some information available, but mostly in German.

Legally speaking, pre-1933 law applied (from 28.Mar.1931 and 19.Mar.1932) with later amendments:

1936 Verordnung über die Erhebung der Gemeindebiersteuer im Saarland
21.Dec.1938 Gesetz zur Änderung des Biersteuergesetzes
17.Feb.1939 Verordnung zur Überleitung der österreichischen Biersteuer auf das Reich
29.Nov.1939 Verordnung zur Änderung des Biersteuergesetzes
17.Aug.1940 Verordnung über Biersteuer

There were further amendments for occupied territories where some extra taxes were imposed.

Most of these regulations are available on the internet if you are a fan of German legal language!

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 06 Nov 2015, 12:34

Before WW II they brewed beer as usual. During war barley and wheat were short for breweries. So they brewed more and more "Dünnbier" (beer wih less malt and therefore also low alcohol). Some breweries were closed. But there was also usual beer available nearly till the end, I wonder how they managed it. "Good connections", black market?

Weißruthenien

Post by Weißruthenien » 20 Feb 2016, 17:05

I believe Beorn has a project on Beer and the Nazis.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”