Popular Beer in Nazi Germany

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Ulex

Popular Beer in Nazi Germany

Post by Ulex » 11 May 2004, 01:07

Can anyone tell me what the most popular Beers in Nazi Germany where?

A neighbor of mine was an American WWII vet who fought in Africa, Italy and Germany. He used to talk about the beer in Germany, one he referred to as 'Gold Label'. I wish I would have spent more time with him talking about his life and service to his country, he now as alzheimer's.

Thanks in advance,

WRGV

Re: Popular Beer in Nazi Germany

Post by WRGV » 11 May 2004, 18:12

hler from Wuppertal
Ulex wrote:Can anyone tell me what the most popular Beers in Nazi Germany where?

A neighbor of mine was an American WWII vet who fought in Africa, Italy and Germany. He used to talk about the beer in Germany, one he referred to as 'Gold Label'. I wish I would have spent more time with him talking about his life and service to his country, he now as alzheimer's.

Thanks in advance,
It depended in what area one was.Each town had at least 1 brewery,although the beer was watery stuff later in the war.But there were some big brewers that had distribution depots all over germany.Popular in the prussian are was Dortmunder Union & Dortmunder Hansa,then there was Wickühler from Wuppertal,Pschorr Bräu,Kulmbacher and a host of others.In my home town it was Lohbush Brewery,on Feb 24th 1945 the brewery took a few direct hits during an air raid,several huge vats exploded and the street was awash in beer.

Ulex

Post by Ulex » 11 May 2004, 19:32

Thanks WRGV!

Did Beer companies ever appear at Rallies? or sponsor Sporting events?

Any Beers currently available in the US that you remember during the War?

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 11 May 2004, 20:44

Wasnt there Lowenbrau?

Kasper

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 12 May 2004, 00:11

In my home town it was Lohbush Brewery...on Feb 24th 1945 the brewery took a few direct hits during an air raid,several huge vats exploded and the street was awash in beer.

ALL that waste of great beer 8O

I which I had a brewery of my own. 8)

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 12 May 2004, 01:01

Erdinger Weissbräu was one of the most popular beers at the time in Munich with an annual production of 2500 hl in 1935.

Roderick

Ulex

Post by Ulex » 12 May 2004, 01:09

Roderick wrote:Erdinger Weissbräu was one of the most popular beers at the time in Munich with an annual production of 2500 hl in 1935.

Roderick

Nice! I will have to try that!
Attachments
logo.gif
logo.gif (4.96 KiB) Viewed 27227 times

Prit

Post by Prit » 12 May 2004, 20:33

There was a brewery in Ponarth, just outside Königsberg, which produced both E Prussian 'dark beer' and lighter beers. I believe that Ponarth was a brand known throughout the Reich.

Prit

Sam H.

Post by Sam H. » 12 May 2004, 23:27

Why does it not surprise me that the driver of the fabled scarlet Stug would know so much about beer?

:lol: :lol:

Dora

Post by Dora » 13 May 2004, 12:48

All,
There is a photo in one of my books on U-Boats showing a just returned crew gathered at the base of the conning tower drinking St. Pauligirl beer.
Dora

Ulex

Post by Ulex » 13 May 2004, 17:32

Dora wrote:All,
There is a photo in one of my books on U-Boats showing a just returned crew gathered at the base of the conning tower drinking St. Pauligirl beer.
Dora
Excellent... Thanks Dora! (can you post that?)

Was Spatan, Warsteiner, or Bitburger very popular?... I have those locally..
Last edited by Ulex on 13 May 2004, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 13 May 2004, 18:27

'St. Pauli Girl' was available in the Third Reich? 8O
It's not available in post-ww2 Germany, its solely for export. The German brands of the St. Pauli brewery are 'Astra Urquell' and 'Ratsherren Pilsener'.

The brewery Warsteiner was founded 1753, but I don't know how old their current 'Warsteiner Premium Verum' brand is.
The brewery Bitburger was founded 1884.

Regards
Mark

Ulex

Post by Ulex » 13 May 2004, 18:36

nondescript handle wrote:'St. Pauli Girl' was available in the Third Reich? 8O
It's not available in post-ww2 Germany, its solely for export. The German brands of the St. Pauli brewery are 'Astra Urquell' and 'Ratsherren Pilsener'.

The brewery Warsteiner was founded 1753, but I don't know how old their current 'Warsteiner Premium Verum' brand is.
The brewery Bitburger was founded 1884.

Regards
Mark
Thanks Mark! Any other Brands you know of that were popular in the Reich during WWII, Favorites of the SA, SS, or Wehrmacht?

Maybe Dora can post that picture?

Landser

Post by Landser » 13 May 2004, 22:33

The German?European beer industry and customs were very much localized and not marketed as we know it now.It was very similar to the customs in the states 100years or so ago.Beer was mainly openly from on tap consumed in restaurants or bars.Usually as it's still nowadays.
The brewery usually owns the facility and leases it out with the obligation to only marked their products.Thats why you always see the beweries logo along the establishments name on their signs.And strategicly this places are found far apart which serve the same beers,for the vendors protection,ala cardealerships.

Before the war or during, you generally either drunk your beer in the Gasthaus/bar or at home.Most the beer in bottles (snapcaps only) was marketed on roadsidestands(Kiosks) or in mom and pop stores.Because of the higher price most of the beer for daddy's meals or pleasure at home, were gotten from the restaurants in open containers by the liters.I remember in some places kids stayed in line shortly before sundays dinners to get the beer as fresh as possible for daddy.

Besides and still is, bottle beer was frowned upon by real beer drinkers,its just better tasting at least GOOD beer is.Also you did not have to walk ever very far to find a Gasthaus.

But things have changed with this global crap as you know and so has the quality to some extent.

baldviking

Post by baldviking » 13 May 2004, 22:40

This is my opinion also. The big conglomerates, selling beer all over Germany, like Jevez and Paulaner, did not excist in their present form in the 30's. Instead you had 10.000's of local "brands".

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”