Popular Beer in Nazi Germany

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Larrister

Post by Larrister » 26 Nov 2004, 13:46

A few beers later.... the knives and guns are out. :D
Attachments
24a.jpg
24a.jpg (69.59 KiB) Viewed 4922 times

Latrans

Munich Beers

Post by Latrans » 13 Jan 2005, 02:27

Didn't Hitler get his start in the Burgerbraü Kellar?

Munich in the 1950s had seven major breweries and each one had a Keller or a big tavern.
They all must have been active during WW2. Let's see if I can remember them
1. Löwenbraü 5. Hofbraü
2. Paulaner 6. Augustiner
3. Pschorr
4. Hacker

Sorry, I can't remember the seventh. They were all old established breweries. Each had a
beer tent at the Oktoberfest. Sadly, some of them have merged

There was a great beer brewed in the former Sudetenland. It was Budeweiser! Or Budejovice.
Both versions of the name were on the label, or are now.

In the 1950s every Bavarian town had one or two local breweries. They also made their own
soft drinks. Coca Cola killed the soft drink business.

Landser

Post by Landser » 13 Jan 2005, 02:58

Latrans.

You wanted to bring up Spatenbraeu!
! yes.

About the softdrink status,I think you are not quite up to date.Coke is mostly with the McD. croud.Approx 60% supposed to be carbonated water type consumed nowadays.Coca cola is a major market force as a single company but not dominant with its brand.

BTW The major brewing company in Germany or EU is a Belgian one (Stella,Becks,Hasseroeder,Diebel etc amm).In Munix its a former Contracter (Bauloewe) who controls the szene.Schoerggruber ownes Paulaner,Hacker-Pschorr,Augustiner and some others out of town.
Last edited by Landser on 14 Jan 2005, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

drmessimer

bIER IN gERMANY

Post by drmessimer » 13 Jan 2005, 23:55

Schultheiß and Berliner Kindl were the local beers in Berlin. Every neighborhood had at least one Lokal that sold either Schultheiß or Berliner Kindl exclusively. And many neighborhoods had two Lokals, each one representing either Schultheiß or Berliner Kindl. Don't ask me to say which one was the better, because they are both terrific beers. Dwight R. Messimer

PJF

Post by PJF » 14 Jan 2005, 17:50

Schultheiß and Kindl are still the mainstay local beers in Berlin... sure there's a more cosmopolitan array of beers available at the trendier bars and clubs, but at the neighborhood Kneipe/lokal these are still the mainstay

I prefer Kindl but it's a close call

Landser

Post by Landser » 14 Jan 2005, 18:31

One thing seemed strange in Berlin
the ever popular Weisse wth Cranberry juice.WOW.

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 14 Jan 2005, 19:22

PJF wrote:[...]but at the neighborhood Kneipe/lokal these are still the mainstay[...]
But there are some others as well: the brown and yellow Engelhardt signs are ubiquitous in Charlottenburg and Berliner Bürgerbräu is quite popular in the east.

Regards
Mark

drmessimer

Beer in Nazi Germany

Post by drmessimer » 14 Jan 2005, 22:25

This photo might be of interest to some of you. It was taken in 1935 in Spandau, a Berlin suburb. In the left background is the Sturm-Lokal featuring Schultheiß Bier. The Lokal was typical of the brewery-associated Lokals throughout Berlin. In fact, this sort of Lokal was common troughout Germany, each one offering a local or regional product.
Attachments
sa.jpg
From the Dwight R. Messimer Collection
sa.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 4777 times

Latrans

More Beers Enjoyed During War times

Post by Latrans » 14 Jan 2005, 22:44

Freising in Oberbayern has Weihenstephan (Founded abt. 1042). There is also a brewmaster's college there, probably the only one in existence now.

Close to Munich is the Klosterbraürei at Andechs. It is still in operation and is owned by the Catholic Church. Their beer was not bottled when I went there.

Nürnberg had Grüner Braü and Lederer Braü,among others. They must have been drunken at Partei Tagen.

Landser

Re: Beer in Nazi Germany

Post by Landser » 14 Jan 2005, 23:14

drmessimer wrote:This photo might be of interest to some of you. It was taken in 1935 in Spandau, a Berlin suburb. In the left background is the Sturm-Lokal featuring Schultheiß Bier. The Lokal was typical of the brewery-associated Lokals throughout Berlin. In fact, this sort of Lokal was common troughout Germany, each one offering a local or regional product.
What this picture shows is a typical outdoor Biergarten with lots of shadetrees. Which is common
in all major cities for family outings or social gatherings
in the summertime.People sit usually on long simple tables with benches in the shade,bring family and kids,most have bands playing to listen to or even dance to it.

It's also called Ausflugslokal and still is very popular.

Like it goes in a drinking song;

"Bier her,Bier her- oder ich fall um...dra ra dumm...

zerrakk

All this talk of fine German bier brings up a question

Post by zerrakk » 20 Jan 2005, 21:33

Last summer I visited D-land for a couple of weeks. We have had exchange students from D-land in the past, and decided to go over and visit them all. While in the former DDR, I especially liked a bier whose name I cannot remember so maybe someone can help me. It was in a short squat bottle and had a cork in it which you released with a sort of wire like the old preserve jars had. It was by far my favorite, and as my local liquor store can order any bier made, I would really like to get some. Does anyone know of the bier I am thinking of? I had many (my wife would say too many :) ) while in the eastern Berlin area. Thanks much

jamie

Post by jamie » 09 Feb 2005, 03:04

Hallo zu Alle!!

Since I left Flensburg naval base, six days ago, I cannot left the beer, and in this trip we dont have our beloved Beck´s, it the first time oberbefehl von flensburg gives us this beer from Holland...Grolsch is the name, and is gut also.

Prost!!

Ok. seriously,the most widely embarked beer was beck´s (a great surprise for british sailors they are not allowed to drink on board) and when the war advanced beer from Denmark and Holland was embarked, but Beck´s was the bulk of the embarked beers. One of those beers was Grolsch from Holland.

Grüsse von Baskenland!

Jamie

Ah, sorry for the tricky pic, the Oblt zur see drinking a grolsch...its me
Attachments
Jürgen-U-Klapperstorch-1.gif
Jürgen-U-Klapperstorch-1.gif (91.08 KiB) Viewed 4623 times

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 09 Feb 2005, 18:47

Korvkpt. Kentrat with the well earned Beck's beer after his outstanding 225 days patrol.
Source: http://uboat.net/men/kentrat.htm

Regards Michael

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 09 Feb 2005, 20:13

300+ old german beer signs (Brauereischilder/Bierschilder)...

Please look at: http://www.bierschilder.de/top100.shtml

Prost! Michael

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 09 Feb 2005, 20:26

After 1945, Beer and the NVA... 8O

Source/More: http://www.rhebs.de/mauer/alkohol.htm

Michael

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”