Did Hitler do anything good?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
KraniX

Did Hitler do anything good?

Post by KraniX » 11 Jul 2004, 17:56

Ignoring anything to do with the armed forces, did Hitler do anything beneficial for Germany between 33 and 39 which didn't oppress others?

I'm not trying to start a flame-war, but I'm trying to find out actual instances where Hitler was responsible for something positive, but didn't hurt other in achieving that aim.

For example,

A guy I work with said that Germany developed a pretty good health service during the 30's - a sort of National Health Service the like of which we have in the UK today. I'm not sure how true this is though.

Zapfenstreich

Post by Zapfenstreich » 11 Jul 2004, 18:49

He built the Autobahns and was involved in the R & D of the Volkswagen. He pulled Germany out of the Great Depression but, unfortunately, most of the financial recovery was due to his build up of the war machine. It is very difficult for me to refrain from listing his crimes but that would destroy the spirit of this thread.

"The evil men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with the bones."
To paraphrase; "Thus let it be with Hitler."

Z

Germania

Post by Germania » 11 Jul 2004, 19:27

I think he do some good things between 33-39 without the background of an planned war! Like welfare organisations, health and medic organisations, highways, etc.

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 11 Jul 2004, 21:33

This related thread might be of intrest: Positive Lasting Contribution of the Third Reich

The German health system was established 1883.
The Autobahns were planned at the time of the Weimar Republic.

Regards
Mark

Germania

Post by Germania » 11 Jul 2004, 22:05

Planned at the Weimarer Republik doesn´t mean build there! :P
But okay all he do we can find an negative aspect and for such reasons we can say that this tread makes not much sense but not forget you can find on every good thing an bad thing or an bad price which must be paid to reach the good one! But he makes a systeme which gaves everybody bread and work and this is good the price which must pay for this fact is another thing and I think not asked!

Germania

Post by Germania » 11 Jul 2004, 22:08

And Germany 1936 has the best olympic team ever in the time!

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 11 Jul 2004, 22:15

Yes.

All the relative to the social was good in Germany. Maybe some thing were created during the Weimar republic but Hitler did it.

The relative to the workers reivindications and benefits were great, oportunities to hav a House, a car, a good security systems, to be safe against the crime, education.

Except the racist policies, repression against the oposition and Holocaust...

I think the Nazi Germany was a good sistem.

My tesis in the University was about the "Social posibilities to the Workers in the Nazi Germany. the DAF and laboral reivindications".

All the best,

Helly

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 12 Jul 2004, 03:08

benefits and salaries in the German Army increase a lot.

Roderick

KraniX

Post by KraniX » 12 Jul 2004, 07:46

i thought a topic like this would already be around but didn't have much luck when i searched so thanks nondescript handle aka mark - made interesting reading.

i am totally anti-nazi and detest hitler and all that he stands for - but i do find the man very interesting none the less. i wanted to see if i could find anything that he did that was for a decent cause and actually did some good. but as most people have said a lot of positive stuff that occurred had been laid-down during the weimar republic. and eveything else seems geared toward his building up of the armed forces and the repression of peoples freedom.

Helly Angel said;
Except the racist policies, repression against the oposition and Holocaust... I think the Nazi Germany was a good sistem.
thats a few too many exceptions in my book.

wenty

Post by wenty » 12 Jul 2004, 08:49

Since the end of World War I, the German people had been living in poverty. Most ordinary Germans didn't even own a car, and the cost for items was gigantic, especially since Germany was forced to pay reparition costs for the damage in WWI that it couldn't possibly afford forever.
Between 1933-1938, Hitler improved their military, Improved the economy with works programs, etc and most of all restored Germany's confidence and pride, which had been absent for 15 years. But after 1938 everything went bad, and the last 7-8 years of his leadership is what Hitler is infamous in history for. Cheers. :|

mugwort

Post by mugwort » 12 Jul 2004, 12:14

Zapfenstreich wrote:He built the Autobahns and was involved in the R & D of the Volkswagen. He pulled Germany out of the Great Depression but, unfortunately, most of the financial recovery was due to his build up of the war machine.
That is not true. It is clear from the small percentage of the budget spent on the wr machine vs. other things, that he was building up only in a defensive capacity till just before the war was forced on Germany.

The reason Hitler was so popular was directly owing to the good he did for the German people, who had just gone through 2 decades of hell which
included WWI, communist coups, 3 quarters of a million Germans starving to death after the armistice owing to a blockade by the victors--the punishing Versailles Treaty, the gigantic foreign-engineered inflation in the 20s that caused many to lose their homes just in order to feed themselves, and massive (6 million in total population of about 80 million) unemployment. Hitler solved that problem (and not by going to war, which FDR was forced to do to cover up the miserable failure of his New Deal--see the book, The New Dealers' War; I forget the author)

Hitler broke down class barriers, introduced better working conditions for workers and longer vacations (a legacy that endures even now in Europe), provided access to cultural and recreational activities that many had not been able to enjoy before--his Kraft Durch Freude (Strength Through Happiness) program; and of course presented the people with the Volkswagen--which he at first wanted to call the Kraft Durch Freude Wagen (Does this sound like the evil dictator of the war propaganda, or the Nutty Professor?), and of course, built the Autobahns.

That people don't know these things is a sign of how one-dimensional the history taught in our schools is, and represented in literature and onscreen.

If Germany had not been forced into WWII, which was plotted and precipitated by those who declared war on Germany, won the war, and then wrote the history of it, Hitler would have been remembered very differently.

"The evil men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with the bones."
Indeed.

Z[/quote]

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 12 Jul 2004, 13:05

If Hitler had had a heart attack and died anywhere between 1937 and 1940 he would today have been hailed as The Greatest German that Ever Lived. He didn't - but blotted the script with the rest of his life. If it hadn't been for the business about the jews - he might still have aspired to an elevated pillar in the pantheon of history. He wasted his considerable gifts and talents on a mad obsession that instead has relegated him to the horror chamber of the past.

nondescript handle

Post by nondescript handle » 12 Jul 2004, 16:18

First Autobahn: AVUS (Berlin) opend for public 1921 (today "A115").
First intercity Autobahn: Colone-Bonn opend for public 1932 (today "A555").

Was there anyone who had brought KDF-stamps and actually got a KDF/Volkswagen? I think not.

Hitlers economic policy was to make depts and to pay them with war loot.
Hitler had 'inherited' 11'793 million RM debts in 1933 (20% of the GDP).
In 1939 Germany had 47'889 million RM debts, that was 43% of the GDP.
1945 the debts were 379'800 million RM.
If Hitler had had a heart attack and died anywhere between 1937 and 1940 he would have been remembered as 'the man who made Germany bankrupt'.

Regards
Mark

KraniX

Post by KraniX » 12 Jul 2004, 16:58

1925 to 1929 were not good years for Hitler and the Nazis.

In 1928 unemployment fell to 650,000 - a figure that Hitler supporters seem to forget, they only compare to the post Wall Street crash figures.

Also in 1928 retail sales went up 20% over that of 1925.

Industry output in 1923 had dropped to 55% of that in 1913 but had risen to 122% by 1927.

By 1929 wages had reached a figure 10% higher than in 1925.

The Weimar Republic was doing well, not only economically but in the arts and intellectual life in general. I wonder now if the Wall Street crash hadn't occured how much better life in Europe could be today.

mugwort

Post by mugwort » 12 Jul 2004, 18:05

If Hitler had had a heart attack and died anywhere between 1937 and 1940 he would have been remembered as 'the man who made Germany bankrupt'.
If the economy in Germany in the thirties had been a bust, I suspect there would have been no war, because there would not have been so much jealousy and animosity among the leadership of other powerful, but less fortunate countries, who made it their business to precipitate the war (see David Hoggans'The Forced War: When Peaceful Revision Failed).

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”