Surname Hitler - is there German verb "hitlen"

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Guy

Surname Hitler - is there German verb "hitlen"

Post by Guy » 21 Oct 2004, 08:07

Would it be possible to "translate" surname Hitler to other languages. I know that in German, like in English, verb ending -er means maker of some thing.

I think there's no verb "hitlen" in modern German standard language, but what about "ancient German"?

Can any German speaker say, if we would decide to introduce "hitlen" as a new verb, what would be it's synonym.

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 21 Oct 2004, 15:34

No there isn't such a verb. Hitler is a changed version of Hüttler or Hiedler, wich means someone who makes a Hut (Hütte).

Aswan_Raafat

Post by Aswan_Raafat » 15 Dec 2004, 21:29

So, Hitler is like english Hatter (?), french Chapelier and polish Kapelusznik ?
"Bonjour Monsieur Chapelier, ici Monsieur d'Acier" / "Hello Mr Hatter, Mr Steel-Man's speaking" (I meant Yossif Vissarionovich)

Funny ;)

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 16 Dec 2004, 12:20

NO. It is english HUT (Cabin, log, little house :? ) not HAT (the funny thing you put on your head) :roll:
comprende, verstanden?

Heil, Herr Kirch-krank (Hail, Mr.Church-ill)

LEVE

Post by LEVE » 16 Dec 2004, 23:41

maxxx wrote:...Heil, Herr Kirch-krank (Hail, Mr.Church-ill)
Humm... I believe that would be: Heil, Herr Kirchehügel ( Church-Hill).

panzertruppe2001

Post by panzertruppe2001 » 17 Dec 2004, 04:04

maxxx wrote: Heil, Herr Kirch-krank (Hail, Mr.Church-ill)

Very good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Panzertruppe2001

Truffelschwein

Post by Truffelschwein » 18 Dec 2004, 07:20

LEVE wrote:
maxxx wrote:...Heil, Herr Kirch-krank (Hail, Mr.Church-ill)
Humm... I believe that would be: Heil, Herr Kirchehügel ( Church-Hill).

considering it's a name..it does not get translated.

But he was making a joke.....Kirch Krank means Church Ill,Not church Hill.

I don't get the joke though. :cry:

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 19 Dec 2004, 00:27

The name "Hitler" may be an aberrant spelling of the word "Hüttler" which means "dweller in the small cabin" ("Hütte" = cabin, hut).

Strangely, the speeling "Hitler" is not standard German, and looks like a transliteration of the Yiddish word "hitler", which means "cap-maker", derived from the Yiddish "hitl" = small hat, cap.

There were Jews with the surname "hitler", meaning "cap-maker". There was even a Jewish Adolf Hitler who lived in the town of Trembowla in Podolia.

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 20 Dec 2004, 17:42

i wonder what happened to him. he must have been a living insult to every nazi official... :(

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 21 Dec 2004, 00:35

The name "Hitler" is an invention and came about in the following manner.

Hitler's father Alois was born on 7 July 1837 to Anna Maria Schicklgruber. The father was not declared on the birth certificate, but when the mother married Johann Georg HIEDLER in 1842, the Church Register at Doellersheim recorded that: "...Johann Georg HIEDLER has acknowledged paternity of the child Alois and requests that his name be entered in the Baptismal Register." The entry was signed by the parish priest and four witnesses.

The omission of father's name from the original birth certificate was never corrected, and Hitler's father had continued to be known by his mother's maiden name, Schicklgruber.

Alois' younger brother Johann Nepomuk HIEDLER made a will leaving money to Alois on the condition that he changed his name to HIEDLER, and this is ratified in the records of the Mistelbach local authority for 6 January 1877.

Eventually, Alois HIEDLER began to deliberately misspell HIEDLER as HITLER because the latter sounded better and was easier for people to remember.

Another name change of note is apparent: in Hitler's certificate of birth and baptism, his true name is ADOLFUS HITLER.

Source: Kubizek - The Young Hitler, 1956.

GothStag

Heard that too.

Post by GothStag » 29 Dec 2004, 19:09

Doggowitz wrote:No there isn't such a verb. Hitler is a changed version of Hüttler or Hiedler, wich means someone who makes a Hut (Hütte).
I've heard that too. It seems one of his ancestors was illiterate & spelt his son's name wrongly on a birth certificate.

Ehrenwinkel

Post by Ehrenwinkel » 21 Apr 2005, 21:26

Sorry this comes a bit late (idle browsing through old threads), but if Hitler is a variant of Hüttler, meaning someone who dwells in a hut, i.e. a smallholder, then its English equivalent would be "Cotter", a surname occasionally met with.

Jeremy Chan

Post by Jeremy Chan » 22 Apr 2005, 08:42

Ehrenwinkel wrote:Sorry this comes a bit late (idle browsing through old threads), but if Hitler is a variant of Hüttler, meaning someone who dwells in a hut, i.e. a smallholder, then its English equivalent would be "Cotter", a surname occasionally met with.
If that would stem from Micchael Mill's post, then the translation of 'Hitler' would mean that one of his ancestors may have had Jewish roots, though that hasn't had much proof.

However, I happened to have read (in some travel guide) that there were 22 Hitlers registered in New York City's phone book in 1939. After 1945, that number had plummeted to zero. Considering the strength of German (or German-Jewish) heritage that the USA bears, that may be true. I shouldn't assume that there would be any Hitlers around in the US anymore?

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 23 Apr 2005, 14:44

Go here to find some Hitlers in the US White Pages:

http://www.whitepages.com/5050/search/F ... &state_id=

There is even a Martha Hitler.

lukeo

Post by lukeo » 02 May 2005, 09:40

Hitler's surname could not came from word "Hüttner". His father's surname was Hiedler.

Very interesting theory says, that Hitler's surname is Czech in it's origin. According to this theory, it is derived from Czech surname "Hidlarczek", which is quite popular in southern Czechia (around Czeske Budejovice), near Austrian border. And Hitler was born near Bohemian border, in area populated by Czech minority...

I wonder, what would he say, if he knew that...

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”