Wehrmacht Veterans in other Armies of the World

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Peter H

Re: Wehrmacht Veterans in other Armies of the World

Post by Peter H » 24 Jul 2010, 12:27

Can you give a page reference for that? I can't find this recollection in my copy.I can't even find a reference to Chosin in the index.

JackDreaddy

Post by JackDreaddy » 06 Aug 2010, 21:51

My dad was in the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment in the early 1970's and his sergeant major was a German who had been in the German Army in world war 2, and also on the german side on Juno Beach

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 21 Aug 2010, 00:48

Gentlemen,

It's been awhile that anybody could come up with examples of Wehrmacht veterans serving in other military services of the World. I for one is out of ideas for now. Thank you so much for you contributions to this topic that I put together a very years ago! :D

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao :milsmile:

Paddy

Post by Paddy » 22 Aug 2010, 02:55

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:Gentlemen,

It's been awhile that anybody could come up with examples of Wehrmacht veterans serving in other military services of the World. I for one is out of ideas for now. Thank you so much for you contributions to this topic that I put together a very years ago! :D

Sincerely,

Check this link out.
http://en.baomoi.com/Info/Part-1-Join-t ... /40839.epi

This link claims that Ho Chi Minh adopted him and gave him the name Long (Dragon).
http://www.allempires.com/Forum/forum_p ... PID=626591

kenify

Post by kenify » 11 Mar 2011, 05:08

My "Uncle" Karl was also on the beach on D Day, was eventually captured and was a POW in the USA, migrated to Australia in the 50's where he served in a reserve unit for 3 years, the 4th/19th Prince of Wales Light Horse regiment, whose Col Commandant is the Prince of Wales, his motto "Ich Dien" "I Serve" is the the unit hat badge as its motto! He thought that this was hilarious.

UMachine

Re: Three Other Sevices of the U.S.

Post by UMachine » 13 Mar 2011, 02:39

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:Gentlemen!

So far I knew that the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS veterans had served in the US Army and the US Marine Corps after World War II. I wonder if there were any other German veterans from WW II that served with the US Air Force, the US Navy, and the US Coast Guard?

I think I should add Taiwan to my list above as of German WWII veterans that served in other countries. Germany had a long history of helping the Chinese Nationalist Armed Forces. I won't be surprised that ex-German servicemen decided to help them this time in Taiwan.

Sincerely,

Edward :wink:
Since when were former wss members allowed into the U.S?

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 14 Mar 2011, 02:56

Well, I can think of one I know of who emigrated to and had a long career in the U.S. as an MD - and happens to be a member of this forum! 8O
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

UMachine

Post by UMachine » 14 Mar 2011, 04:18

phylo_roadking wrote:
Well, I can think of one I know of who emigrated to and had a long career in the U.S. as an MD - and happens to be a member of this forum! 8O
He must have hid his past by some luck.In the armed forces as well?They were not welcome.Canada was more forgiving.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 14 Mar 2011, 19:07

He must have hid his past by some luck.In the armed forces as well?
I'm not aware that he ever hid it. You could ask him...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

UMachine

Post by UMachine » 15 Mar 2011, 03:43

He might be sensitive to those kind of questions.They had a list...and they were checking it.

schrisbpd

Post by schrisbpd » 04 Jan 2012, 12:30

When I attended high school in in Fayetteville, North Carolina (which is where Ft. Bragg is) , my history/german teacher was a former german soldier (panzer grenadier) who fought on the eastern front. He later emigrated to the U.S. and joined the US Army and was sent to Korea...he retired from the US Army SF and began teaching. He would tell us the most amazing stories!! He is the reason I became interested in WW2 german military. God bless you where ever you are Ernst Smitka!!

106th Art.Reg.(TUR)

Post by 106th Art.Reg.(TUR) » 04 Jan 2012, 13:32

Hi schrisbpd, actually your former history teacher Mr. Smitka has been mentioned in another forum, too, might be of interest for you:

http://www.navyseals.com/forums/archive ... 20571.html
2.Ordu, 6. Kolordu, 106. Topcu Alayi, 1. Topcu Taburu, 1. Batarya, AMM cavusu Topcu Cavus Mehmet Y. Istanbul- EMRET KOMUTANIM!

schrisbpd

Post by schrisbpd » 04 Jan 2012, 15:11

Hey!!! Thanks alot for the response! Not exactly sure if he's the same Ernst Smitka though....i thought he had told me he was a panzer grenadier he even stated a regt. # but i cant remember nor did he meantion anything about being a POW in the USA. But stupid me was to young to think of asking more questions of him about his experiences! Then again it might be the same Smitka. Thanks again!

Edward L. Hsiao

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 21 Sep 2012, 08:13

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your contribution to this long and important topic of Wehrmacht Veterans who end up serving other armies in many parts of the world. Yes there were German POW's in the United States,Canada,and elsewhere that end up becoming U.S. citizens after the war and served with the U.S. armed forces and fought in Korea and Vietnam.

Sincerely,

nameless

Post by nameless » 19 Oct 2012, 16:11

Interesting story...
FIDEL Castro, the former Cuban leader, hired veterans of Hitler's notorious Waffen SS and bought arms from neo-Nazis to boost the strength of his army.

The disclosures come from the archives of the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), the German secret service, which has been analysing the role of West German intelligence in the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.

"The Cuban revolutionary army had no qualms about working with personnel who had ties with Nazism as long as it served their goals," said Bodo Hechelhammer from the BND.

Mr Castro, who has handed over power to his brother Raul but is still known as El Comandante, was worried about his dependency on the Soviet Union.

The files show that Mr Castro offered four times the average income to German veterans to come to Cuba to train his army. Waffen SS officers - those who had not been sentenced at Nuremberg - were in high demand as mercenaries across Africa, South America and the Middle East after the war.

At least four Waffen SS officers were recruited, though only two of them were actually stationed on the island. The aim was to train the Cubans more effectively than Soviet officers. And in another flash of independence, Mr Castro's officers bought 4000 Belgian machine guns from two German dealers. The weapons never reached him.
Source: The times 16-10-2012

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”