Winterhilfswerk

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
pionier44

Winterhilfswerk

Post by pionier44 » 22 May 2005, 12:01

I am interested in the WHW (Winterhilfswerk) program the NSDAP used as a succesful propaganda tool before and during the war. where can i find info at?

Dora

Post by Dora » 23 May 2005, 03:37

Pioneer44,
I recall reading a little about this organization in the Time-Life series volume, "The Home Front: Germany".
Dora

pionier44

Thanks

Post by pionier44 » 24 May 2005, 04:30

Dora, thanks for the reply. my father gave me the time Life series, one a month, as a child. I remember seeing the info you mentioned. As soon as i get back from vacation,i'll dig it out. Thanks. Does your screen name come from the German Railgun nicknames?

Dora

Post by Dora » 24 May 2005, 14:44

Pionier44,
Yes is does. I have been fascinated with the giant guns, why they were built, how they were built, what they accomplished and what they represent in terms of German military strategy.
Dora

pionier44

Post by pionier44 » 24 May 2005, 23:51

What books do you own on the subject? Are you working on any projects related to the railway guns? Did you see the 1/35 version of Anzio Annie?

Dora

Post by Dora » 25 May 2005, 00:26

Pioneer44,
There is a few web sites devoted to Dora and her twin, do a Google search and you'll see them. One book I receommend is Ian V. Hogg's "German Artillery of World War Two" (Greenhill Books, 1997).

I've finished a manuscript on the eastern front entitled "Russia and the Normandy Invasion, the Cross Front Connection" which deals with the impact of the eastern front on the successful outcome of the Normandy Invasion in France for which I'm looking for a publisher and I have visited the Aberdeen Proving Ground's tank museum in Aberdeen, Maryland which contains in its collection of artifacts a German World War II rail gun, however I don't recall if it is one of the famous ones, such as Anzio Annie you mentioned.
Dora

stcamp
In memoriam

Post by stcamp » 25 May 2005, 00:41

Hello,

On the WFW you might try: The 12-Year Reich: A Social History of Nazi Germany 1933-1945 by Richard Grunberger, Da Capo Press (Paperback) An excellent book that you order through this site. I saw copies starting at $2.95 used.

Dora

Post by Dora » 25 May 2005, 02:29

Pioneer44,
Don't forget to use the vast resources right here in the forum. Use the search engine/find function and see what you come up with. As my research has been primarily eastern front based I have precious little on life in Germany during the war. I will be interested in knowing what you find as I too am curious on what transpired in the streets of The Third Reich during the war.
Dora

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 25 May 2005, 04:22

pioneer44,

For some other references to the WHW, try James Lucas' World War Two Through German Eyes and Terry Charman's The German Home Front 1939-45 (not the Time-Life series volume but a monograph on the subject).

For a look at the primary evidence and a feeling of how the Winterhilfswerk used and was represented in propaganda of the period, the "ephemera" of the organization are fascinating. For example, take a look at some of the tinnies handed out in token for contributions, or the postage stamp issues (and especially some of the postmarks or cancellations) of the organization. In some of the series of tinnies and stamps, the message conveyed is subtle; in some, like one of the tinnies with the slogan "Ein Volk hilft sich Selbst!", much less so!

For the tinnies, check here on the Forum or on Wehrmacht Awards Forum (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com). For the stamps and postmarks, check both Forums or Alf Harper's Philately of the Third Reich: Postage and Propaganda.

Hope this helps, on a very interesting subject!

~FV

pionier44

Post by pionier44 » 25 May 2005, 05:40

Fraulien, thank you for the info. I'm hoping to collect as much info and original examples as possible for a future reference book. I just got Ray Cowderys book, Nazi Para -Military Organizations and their Badges and can't put it down. Mr. Robinsons Tinnie collection featured in it is simply amazing. Do you have any original examples in your collection?

pionier44

Post by pionier44 » 25 May 2005, 05:53

StCamp , thanks for the info.I'll have to check that book out. It sounds like there is some stuff i would be interested in.

Geli

Post by Geli » 26 May 2005, 04:19

It's a shame you live in CA. My WHW collection is on display at my local library right now. I have some tinnies, postcards, a minibook, and a certificate thanking someone for a clothing donation.

For photos of zillions of WHW items, just do a search on "WHW" at ebay.de. Then try to keep yourself from collecting them!

Dora

Post by Dora » 26 May 2005, 12:21

Geli,
I'd like to see your collection, what library is it in? Thanks.
Dora

pionier44

WHW

Post by pionier44 » 26 May 2005, 12:25

That sounds like a cool idea, to get the local library involved in preserving all of history. I too have a pretty decent collection of WHW items . I think thats why I am facinated by tinnies and related items, there is a neverending chance to see something new and different .Where are you located ? I travel and am leaving sunday for Chicago. Am going through Nevada, Arizona,Utah,Colorado,Nebraska, Iowa,Illinois. How about pictures? For credit in the sources section, would you be willing to show your stuff. Thanks, Josef.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 31 Dec 2005, 08:46

My WHW collection isn't on display at my local library right now, and this is one of my favourite pieces from it.

This is perhaps the most beautiful example of WHW propaganda I've ever seen. Notice the subdued NSV (NS Volksvohlfart, the NS Social Welfare) insignium and letters above the food-bearing women, the almost unnoticed WHW letters and WHW eagle above the heads of the SA(?) men with the collection cans in their hands. I'm not sure whether it shows on the scan, but the WHW eagle appears, as faint as a watermark, behind the text of the centre of the document.

The colour, the subdued symbolism, the overall design and detail of the whole piece make it one of my favourite Third Reich documents.

~FV
Attachments
WHWdoc1.jpg
WHWdoc1.jpg (207.84 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
Last edited by Vikki on 31 May 2009, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment had disappeared

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”