The Bundesheer and anschluss

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Winston Smith

The Bundesheer and anschluss

Post by Winston Smith » 09 Oct 2005, 21:12

I know that the German invasion to Austria met no resistence from the Bundesheer, what what happend to it after Austria became the German province Ostmark, was the Bundesheer incorpereted into the Wehrmacht? disbanded? and what about it's generals, did they continue to serve and keep they ranks in the Wehrmacht?

Kaiser Franz

Post by Kaiser Franz » 11 Oct 2005, 19:12

well, the Bundesheer was incoporated into the Wehrmacht, as was its Airforce, although it needed a massive modern overhaul...its Generals continued to serve with the Wehrmacht till the end of the war, if you check there is a segment on the website if you click on Germany & Austria on the front page, then there will be a heading for Military organisations (pre-WW2), there you will find a heading for the Bundesheer...

hope this helped! :D

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 13 Oct 2005, 21:09

There is a very funny movie reel of former austrian soldiers including some long service NCOs trying the unfamiliar "goosestep" in a 1938 parade. Disastrous! :P

Austrians are just not made for that sort of militarism!

Kaiser Franz

Post by Kaiser Franz » 14 Oct 2005, 16:52

really? sounds quite funny......i have seen some very interesting films of the Austrian parliament saying (Engish trans.) "Not untill we're dead...Red-White-Red!!" had the large Austro-Fascist Cross and the eagle behind the man speaking...quite interesting, as we don't see many film reels of Austria before the Anschluss...

Animal

Post by Animal » 09 Dec 2005, 16:01

Kaiser Franz wrote:really? sounds quite funny......i have seen some very interesting films of the Austrian parliament saying (Engish trans.) "Not untill we're dead...Red-White-Red!!" had the large Austro-Fascist Cross and the eagle behind the man speaking...quite interesting, as we don't see many film reels of Austria before the Anschluss...
I believe that the Nazis would have gone out of their way to destroy anything that smacked of Austrian nationalism. That of course, would've included any film reels of pro-Austrian demonstrations or speeches.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”