Midnight Escape From The Fuhrerbunker - 60 years later

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Potsdamerplatz

Midnight Escape From The Fuhrerbunker - 60 years later

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 23 Nov 2005, 16:22

I lived in Berlin for a year in 2002 and in February there were some of the worst thunder and lightning storms that I have ever seen for 2 nights in a row.

On the second of these nights I decided to re-enact the escape from the Berlin bunker on the morning of 2nd May 1945. Accordingly I made my way by u-bahn to Potsdamer Platz and from there it was only a short walk up through Leipziger Platz and on to the apartment blocks at Voß-Straße where the former Reich Chancellery stood.

It was nearly 12am and the streets were largely deserted due to the appalling weather. The rumble of thunder and the lightning was an eerie atmospheric likeness to the Russian bombardment.

I made my way up Friedrichstraße - following as best I could the route that Bormann and the others took, although I have to say that the end of this adventure was a bit of an anti-climax when I reached what I believe to be the Weidendammer Bridge and then got lost!!!

I must be mad but it was an interesting and enjoyable night and the thunder & lightning made it very atmospheric.

Has anyone else ever done anything similar to this?

Schnert

Post by Schnert » 23 Nov 2005, 17:32

I did it for real!

-M. Bormann
Argentina

Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Post by Siegfried Wilhelm » 06 Dec 2005, 17:59

I'd have loved to do that. The 'end' at Berlin is a subject that has absolutely fascinated me for years. But unfortunately even when I lived in Germany I never got to Berlin (the 'wall' had something to do with it)--something I've always regreted. I'll get there yet, and yes, that was something I'd plan to do also. But one thing; they went up Friederich Strasse underground by walking along the U-Bahn tracks--can't do that today. The main bridge you mention was under fire so some of the escapees crawled a small bridge to the west--as shown on your map. You couldn't find any other landmark?
Let me know when you'd like to try again and I just might come over to 'escape' with you!

SW~

wartourist

Re: Midnight Escape From The Fuhrerbunker - 60 years later

Post by wartourist » 04 Jun 2016, 21:51

Should you like to try again, this might help you not to get lost (provided you have a facebook profile) :milwink: ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/berlin-w ... 6878280512

rosstcorbett

Post by rosstcorbett » 03 Oct 2016, 22:45

wartourist wrote:Should you like to try again, this might help you not to get lost (provided you have a facebook profile) :milwink: ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/berlin-w ... 6878280512
Just spent the last 15 minutes reading this. Would love to make a video about this breakout tour.

Would you be interested in a collaboration?

Ross
GOEBBELS HOUSE & BUNKER VIDEO → https://youtu.be/1il8IkoSuuk

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 06 Oct 2016, 00:26

I was intrigued to read (in the "Walking in the Footprints of 1945" link supplied by wartourist) the comments by Dr Schenk:
Dr. Günther Schenck: “It was at least midnight as we plodded into the next station. This was Stadtmitte, the familiar transfer station. I remembered it from my student days in the bustling Berlin of the nineteen-twenties. Here, on upper and lower levels, the tracks cross at right angles..."
AFAIK, the current Stadtmitte has only one underground line. I wonder if, originally, there was a connecting line on the surface or if there are still disused lines under the current one?
Attachments
Stadtmitte 1.jpg
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 10 Oct 2016, 05:56

I wonder if, originally, there was a connecting line on the surface or if there are still disused lines under the current one?
Both tracks cross underground as they always did, but platform for the other line is further away.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 13 Oct 2016, 22:38

Thanks, Greg! According to Wikipedia the second platform for the U6 line is located some distance away through a pedestrian tunnel called the Mausetunnel by locals. I must be losing the plot: I've been on that station countless times and have never seen so much as a sign for the tunnel. I'll be back in Berlin this time next year so I'll check it out.
BTW, I don't suppose you know on which platform the Krukenberg HQ carriage was?
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”