How did the germans view the greeks???

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
tonyh

Re: How did the germans view the greeks???

Post by tonyh » 22 Jan 2009, 14:51

Peter H wrote:The Crete Rebellion of 1938:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 3&t=106304

As indicated most weapons were confiscated by the Metaxas regime.

Posted this elsewhere but German Intelligence report,pre May 1941,Major Reinhardt,Student's Intelligence officer:
The Cretans are considered intelligent,hot=blooded,valorous,excitable as well as obstinate and difficult to govern.The agricultural population is accustomed to using arms,even in everyday life.Vendetta and abduction is still customary and criminality is high.In case of invasion account must be taken of obstinate resistance by the civilian population.
Hmmm, seems they were prepared quite well.

Tony

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 26 Jan 2009, 14:10

Hello Adam,

Yes, Beevor's "Crete" is also another excellent title. I couldn't help but chuckle at the the thought of the priest concealing his weapon in his cassock (to attack the Germans).

JGSS,

Many of the weapons that the Cretans held were not bought, many were muskets and or other rifles and pistols, 'liberated' from especially the Ottomans. You may also know of the adage "περίμενε εκεί, να ξαναγεμίσω" (= "wait there, so that I can reload"). Many households, as you would know, still retain many of the weapons handed down from father to son, so you can find MP40s there, as well as the much older engraved type rifles.

Cheers

Nick

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 27 Jan 2009, 14:54

yes.in crete nowdays you can find and tiger panzer in a cave and many guns from ww2

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 27 Jan 2009, 15:00

nickzark wrote:yes.in crete nowdays you can find and tiger panzer in a cave
There is? o_O

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 27 Jan 2009, 15:10

yes.it is true.it is said from a friend who is from crete.but nearby a villager,in this cave, has his sheep and cows :lol:

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 27 Jan 2009, 15:12

JGSS,

This website (from Greece) shows pictures from circa 1897 (and possibly afterwards). There are a number of photographs which show Cretans armed with rifles.

http://clubs.pathfinder.gr/kissamoslive/1046348

I've not checked the following sub-page, but it seems to have many historical pictures. Peter H, you may be interested, it seems to have pictures of Kontomari, not sure if there is anything new, though.

http://clubs.pathfinder.gr/kissamoslive ... bum=266124

--edit--

Nickzark,

LOL! Thankfully, I had just swallowed my gulp of beer (stifling Melbourne heat :D ) before I read your post :lol:
Last edited by Mr Holmes on 27 Jan 2009, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 27 Jan 2009, 15:12

and in onother village they have and an old german anti-aircraft gun.not of course for use.it is old.. :D

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 27 Jan 2009, 15:26

Mr Holmes wrote:JGSS,

This website (from Greece) shows pictures from circa 1897 (and possibly afterwards). There are a number of photographs which show Cretans armed with rifles.

I've not checked the following sub-page, but it seems to have many historical pictures. Peter H, you may be interested, it seems to have pictures of Kontomari, not sure if there is anything new, though.

--edit--

Nickzark,

LOL! Thankfully, I had just swallowed my gulp of beer (stifling Melbourne heat :D ) before I read your post :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

JGSS

Post by JGSS » 28 Jan 2009, 00:11

Mr Holmes wrote:JGSS,

--edit--

Nickzark,

Hahhaha, thanks Mr Holmes i appreciate it.

Just to clarify what i said previously, i didn't mean that the Cretans had no weapons at all just not in abundance my good man.

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 28 Jan 2009, 01:02

JGSS wrote:
Hahhaha, thanks Mr Holmes i appreciate it.

Just to clarify what i said previously, i didn't mean that the Cretans had no weapons at all just not in abundance my good man.
Cheers JGSS,

My intention was not to make it look like I was taking you to task or anything -- I apologise if I came across that way.

Τα λέμε (= we'll catch up again) :D

NIck

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 28 Jan 2009, 13:56

the weapons are not for use of corse in crete.

emvard

Post by emvard » 30 Apr 2009, 22:17

As far as I know, Ancient Greeks were not blonde or fair skinned (for the most part). There were of course some fair skinned Ancient Greeks but not more so than modern ones. Aristotle, regarded Greeks as superior because of their slightly more tanned skin than the red-haired pale barbarians (Celts, etc) and the slighty less dark skin than the southerners (egyptians, etc). Also, the curled Greek hair is very prominent in Ancient Greek art. I am Greek and I am fairly white, brown curly hair - green eyes. However, during the summer I become quite dark skinned because of the sun. If I lived in Finland I would be fairly white. So my conviction is that dark skin is a natural thing for people living in areas such as Greece. Either way one thing that no one ever mentioned is that Rudolf Hess, deputy of Hitler, was half-Greek

mike peters

Post by mike peters » 01 May 2009, 02:14

emvard wrote: Either way one thing that no one ever mentioned is that Rudolf Hess, deputy of Hitler, was half-Greek
Sou-vara ?? Don't tell me ...uhh , "Hessopoulos" ? :D
At least they didn't call him "Hjesstees"

(I couldn't pass on that one !)

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 01 May 2009, 03:04

Hess was born in Alexandria, Egypt, the eldest of four children, to Fritz H. Hess, a German Lutheran importer/exporter from Bavaria and Klara Münch. His mother was of Greek descent, of the Georgiadis family of Alexandria.
(Wikipedia)

emvard

Post by emvard » 01 May 2009, 04:58

I don't even know if you are making fun of me or what. However, it is spelled SO-vara. Not souvara. And yes he was half-Greek. His mother's side though that's why he didn't have a Greek name.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”