How did the germans view the greeks???

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
emvard

Re: How did the germans view the greeks???

Post by emvard » 11 Aug 2009, 22:31

I think we've already been over this, but the Nazis would have been aware of the prevalent view that the modern Greeks are only very tenuously descended from the ancient Greeks. This view held that Greece was virtually depopulated by the late Roman period and was resettled by Slavs, Albanians, Vlachs (Romanians) and, later, Turks. Whether this view is historically correct or not is not the point - it was widely believed and would have influenced the view that Nazi racial theorists took of the Greeks. They regarded them not as descendents of the Hellenes, but as a degenerate "mongrel" people.
Total bullshit man. First of all, the Greek Soldiers weren't even prisoners of war. If they had been Slavs and Turks they would have been EXTERMINATED not grant freedom!! Mongols and Turks were considered by the Nazis to be in the category of gypsies and jews - that is the category of "life unworthy to live". Secondly, read Goebbels journal. Third, Hess was half-Greek half-German. Fourth, Karajan (the famous conductor) was of Greek descent. He was also a member of the Nazi Party.

And lastly, take a look at racial laws of Nazi Germany. See where Greeks were placed.

Listed from the most privileged to the least:
* Germans from Germany (Reichdeutsche) - Nordic Germans are said most favorable, but all German citizens are in the top category.
* Germans from outside, active ethnic Germans, honorary "Aryans" from axis European countries in Volksliste category 1 and 2 (see Volksdeutsche).
* Germans from outside, passive Germans and members of families, handicapped, political dissidents, common criminals in Volksliste category 3 and 4.
* Other Germanic peoples closely related to Germans (Norwegians, Danes, Swedes, Finland-Swedes [11], Estonian Swedes, Faroese, Flemish, Icelanders, English and the Dutch) but treated as categories 1 and 2 in most privileges, especially pro-Nazi sympathizers. Until 1942, the Greeks were included in this category by virtue of their being descendants of the ancient Greeks.
Italians (particularly from regions north of Rome, e.g. Tuscany, Lombardy, etc.), Spaniards (particularly Basques) and Portuguese were treated as category 1 and 2, especially pro-Nazi sympathizers (e.g. Fascist Italy and Francoist Spain diplomats). Some southern Italians were treated as least (Suspicion of miscegenation with African and Semitic peoples), but within the same category. The Greeks are included in this category after 1943, due to their strong anti-Nazi resistance movement.

The Greeks were viewed as Other Germanic people closely related to Germans! Only after fierce resistance, Nazis moved them to... surprise surprise, the level of Italians and Spaniards.

So that was not what Nazis thought of the modern Greeks. That's what you think of the modern Greek and it's very sad if you don't mind me saying.

Greeks were NEVER viewed by anyone to be blondes and blue eyed all that. If you pay close attention to ancient Greek pottery Greeks are portrayed as Black haired (not golden) and CURLY. Additionally, Aristotle considered Greeks to be the ideal race because they weren't as pale as the northerner barbarians and they weren't as black as the southern cannibals.

AND as someone else here pointed out, it is stupid to believe that the MAJORITY of the people who live in the mediterrenean will be fair skinned and blonde. Blue eyes and green eyes - yes. But blonde - not. Some are but not the MAJORITY. And that's normal for the climate of the mediterrenean...

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 12 Aug 2009, 15:59

Well said

Linoxilos

Post by Linoxilos » 23 Aug 2009, 04:20

Blondes are rare in Greece. We use to call blondes the ones with light-brown colored hair. But the real blondes are rare.
My ID card says Tsioudakis George.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 24 Aug 2009, 02:00

I don't see much connection between that rant and my post to which it is supposed to be a reply.

I'll just confine myself to pointing out that the ancient Greeks were of course not a Mediterranean people. They migrated into the Mediterranean area from the north only a few centuries before historical times, displacing the original inhabitants, the so-called Pelasgians. The ancient Greeks knew this perfectly well. That's why Nazi theorists were able to theorise that the ancient Greeks were really Aryans. It is a historical fact that the Greek homelands were largely depopulated in late Roman times and then settled by Slavs, Albanians, Vlachs and Turks at various times. Much of the modern Greek population is descended from these settlers.

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 26 Aug 2009, 20:23

Yes but DNA is the same

Linoxilos

Post by Linoxilos » 03 Sep 2009, 14:50

nickzark wrote:Yes but DNA is the same
Source? It is said in Greece that a scientific research exists. However i haven't still found a source for that. I don't know if it is true or it's just another urban legend.
My ID card says Tsioudakis George.

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 06 Sep 2009, 11:50

Linoxilos wrote:
nickzark wrote:Yes but DNA is the same
Source? It is said in Greece that a scientific research exists. However i haven't still found a source for that. I don't know if it is true or it's just another urban legend.
I find this article.It is in Greek, i can not translate it but as i see you are from greece so you can read it.It is about about trying from an greek profesor to find this greek dna (ancient e.t.c.) and see if it simmilar with todays greek dna

http://greekgenetics.blogspot.com/2005/03/t-d.html

nickzark

Post by nickzark » 06 Sep 2009, 12:01

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”