Vehicles used by Sipo/SD

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Re: Vehicles used by Sipo/SD

Post by Maxschnauzer » 20 Aug 2014, 12:24

SIS 5 wrote:Hi Kerry,

Your "fine-looking charabancs" are police vehicles I think, maybe police vans (Polizei-Mannschaftswagen) or vans of so called flying squadrons (Überfallkommando). They could be NAG vehicles, the type D 6, D 7 or NAG-Protos type 201 or 204. Here a pic of such a vehicle from from Holger´s site (his ID: NAG-Protos).

Regards

Bert
Hi Kerry & Bert,

I was trying to decipher the license plates on those vehicles in Kerry's fine pic. They don't look to be Reichswehr plates like the one in the foreground, likely civilian plates on police vehicles (as in Bert's pic, but unmarked) since AFAIK the POL or SS plates were not issued until after 1935 when RW became WH. I can't quite resolve the first two characters on either vehicle though. :(
img521_new.jpg
img521_new.jpg (51.02 KiB) Viewed 508 times
img521_new (1).jpg
img521_new (1).jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Cheers,
Max

kerryboo

Post by kerryboo » 20 Aug 2014, 13:44

Aha! It is back again, hello Max, my reply is above,
Kerry.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 20 Aug 2014, 14:58

Hello Kerry,
Sorry for the confusion. I deleted the original post because I wanted to study the pic a little more carefully, then went to dinner. I didn't think anyone had noticed! :oops:
In any case if the characters are IA it is of course Berlin which would make perfect sense.
Cheers,
Max

JoeW
Financial supporter

Post by JoeW » 21 Aug 2014, 05:00

Maxschnauzer wrote:
SIS 5 wrote:Hi Kerry,

Your "fine-looking charabancs" are police vehicles I think, maybe police vans (Polizei-Mannschaftswagen) or vans of so called flying squadrons (Überfallkommando). They could be NAG vehicles, the type D 6, D 7 or NAG-Protos type 201 or 204. Here a pic of such a vehicle from from Holger´s site (his ID: NAG-Protos).

Regards

Bert
Hi Kerry & Bert,

I was trying to decipher the license plates on those vehicles in Kerry's fine pic. They don't look to be Reichswehr plates like the one in the foreground, likely civilian plates on police vehicles (as in Bert's pic, but unmarked) since AFAIK the POL or SS plates were not issued until after 1935 when RW became WH. I can't quite resolve the first two characters on either vehicle though. :(
The attachment img521_new.jpg is no longer available
The attachment img521_new (1).jpg is no longer available
The only problem I see with the vehicles (non-RW plate) in this post #27 being Prussian police is the lack of Prussian state insignia on the side of the vehicle visible, as well as the non-Prussian police uniforms. At least the uniforms seem non-Prussian police, which were a tunic of green and pants of black, providing visible contrasts in black and white photos such as the one here.

Here are three variations of Prussian police vehicle from the fine book "Polizei greift ein" by Hans Rodel.
Attachments
Prussian police truck 2.jpg
Prussian police truck 2.jpg (111.67 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Prussian police truck.jpg
Prussian police truck.jpg (165.79 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Prussian police car.jpg
Prussian police car.jpg (123.49 KiB) Viewed 445 times

edelweiss

Post by edelweiss » 22 Aug 2014, 11:19

I know that in France the Citroen Traction Avant was very willing by the Gestapo, same as the Peugeot 402, and the with Simca 4 or 8 and the Fiat Topolino A.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”