Sunken Tigers in the Seine

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
gary-1944

Re: Sunken Tigers in the Seine

Post by gary-1944 » 29 Aug 2016, 18:38

I know this is an old thread now - but I wanted to share a little information about the Seine Tigers mentioned. I think in reality it is probably one and the same tank lost in that area.

In the last few years, I have seen parts of a Tiger 1 which were recovered from the Seine near Elbeuf by a collector about 20 years ago. I have the photos somewhere - on an old computer - and they show the front end pieces of the tank. The area below the barrel mantel with the domed top in the middle and the section it sits upon with the opening lids. There was also the side mount areas for the large drive sprocket at the front for each track, and large pieces of the angled front underneath (all disconnected). Some parts of the rear top section grates and lots of large heavy bits of sides (perhaps turret parts I guess). But all in battered condition.

The parts were / still are in a large private collection and not on public display. They were found after a long search and I was told that the tank was blown up on the river bed to stop it causing a problem to shipping. Judging by the information provided by one of the previous posters this would probably have been done by the US Army / Navy to clear the waterway.

I guess it was much easier to blow it up on the river bed than try and pull it out for no real purpose in those days.

I was also told by the owner that no more parts were ever recovered and yet a considerable amount of time and effort were employed looking for more of it. I guess that the rest of it just drifted away over the years and sank.

So - thats all I know and I hope it is useful. If I can find the photos I will post them (if the owner is ok with that).

neicox1204

Post by neicox1204 » 29 Nov 2017, 21:45

Xavier how are you?

Been away from the forums & research and now hunting for tanks again.

Im still in touch with the TV companies and had an inquiry recently from them to see if I knew of any worthwhile recovery projects for a new documentary they would like to make.

I did a bit of research on these 2 tigers a few years ago but really couldn't come up with a worthwhile case to spend any money on a magnetometer
survey. Too may contradictions on locations and did get the river depth charts which showed a narrow channel in that area and limited depth meaning any vehicle would have blocked the channel and most certainly have been either blown up in position or removed completely.

This would tie in with reports of pieces of a Tiger being recovered in that area. I still have the GPS and magnetometer survey from the Tiger in the lake in Germany but that will never ever see the light of day.

Send me a PM as it won't let me send you one I want to see if you remember our research about the Tiger lost onboard the Menes.

Neil

History Researcher

Post by History Researcher » 11 Oct 2018, 12:52

This is a message for Neil (neicox1204) - and anyone else who is interested in replying.
I'm doing some research for a television programme and it would be great to have a chat about World War Two tank wrecks if you've got time for a quick phone call? I can explain in more detail over the phone.
Thanks very much
[email protected]

History Researcher

Post by History Researcher » 11 Oct 2018, 12:53

This is a message for Neil (neicox1204) - and anyone else who is interested in replying.
I'm doing some research for a television programme and it would be great to have a chat about World War Two tank wrecks if you've got time for a quick phone call? I can explain in more detail over the phone.
Thanks very much
susannah.zeff*360production.com

Larso

Post by Larso » 30 Mar 2021, 17:25

This is an article about this topic. I think from this year?

http://museegrandbunker.com/en/willy-fe ... -the-seine

From that posts in 2016 it seems pretty clear what became of it.

Larso

Post by Larso » 25 Jun 2022, 15:27

A short clip by a Dr Felton about out Tiger in the Seine, posted last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29dTc8VYyQ

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”