Panther D Normandy

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
thepanzergrenadier

Re: Panther D Normandy

Post by thepanzergrenadier » 23 Oct 2012, 17:06

sorry lehr is not a D. John

barbarossa28

Post by barbarossa28 » 23 Oct 2012, 23:55

Hello John,

the upper Panther D from your last post is not from 12. SS. Note that the crewmen wear Heer uniforms. This photo - and others of this series - were most probably taken in autumn 1943. Most probably, the crews are from I./Pz.Rgt. 31.

The Panther D's are from the training unit in Mailly le Camp. They were used by different units for training (amongst them I./31, I./24, I./GD, I./35).
Note the typical modifications: Additional spare tracks on the right side of the hull and the turret sides and spare wheels on the rear of the hull sides. In addition, there were small tactical numbers painted on both sides of the commanders cupola.
Only in autumn 1943, we can see alls these modifications on these training Panther D's from Mailly le Camp. Some of these features can be seen on Panther's from I./Pz.Rgt. 31 on the eastern front in winter 1943/44. So probably these modifications were made by the crews of I./Pz.Rgt. 31 or they adopted these modifications to their own tanks taken over after their training in Mailly le Camp.
On different photos, these training Panther D's can be seen in different conditions of wear and usage over the time. On many vehicles, the spare tracks and spare wheels were taken away (probably by other trained units) but on most photos, one can see these small numbers on the cupola.

12. SS took over some tanks from Mailly le Camp. Panther D number 219 is such a tank. It has the small number on the cupola, the mountings for the spare wheels at the hull rear (wheels are missing) and the lengthened spare track mountings on the right hull side. The spare track mountings on the turret were removed some time bevore (when I./Pz.Rgt. GD was trained in Mailly le Camp in fall 1944, these mountings were already gone).

Regards, Holger.

thepanzergrenadier

Post by thepanzergrenadier » 24 Oct 2012, 12:16

Thank you Holger for the info , its allways good to learn new things[especially about German AFVs] . I genuinely did not see the Hear uniforms and simply took what the caption said for granted, which i know i should not do .
I had allways thought these Panthers were from the 12th so im very great full that you have put me straight with a detailed response.
Thanks again John.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 25 Jan 2015, 13:40

That first Panther immediately above this cannot be an HJ Panther since it has an Army crew.
Alan

Panther Arthur

Post by Panther Arthur » 08 Mar 2015, 21:20

Hello Holger/Barbarossa28

I see above you state: "Some of these features can be seen on Panther's from I./Pz.Rgt. 31 on the eastern front in winter 1943/44."

I am very curious to see a photo identified as I./Pz Rgt 31 winter 43-44. I do know the abteilung spent a short time at the front due to unfavourable circumstances and the loss of many Panthers, before turning over their remaining vehicles to I./Pz Rgt 15. I have a great deal of non-IDed photos of 43-44 Panthers, and some of them may be I./Pz Rgt 31. Do you have one photo you could post or email me for discussion purposes?

interfectores_v

Post by interfectores_v » 18 Mar 2015, 15:01

wow!!! its AWESOMEEE!! by the way how many what is the most lethal version of the Pzkwf.V/Panther tank?

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”