GD Tiger?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
kerryboo

GD Tiger?

Post by kerryboo » 09 May 2013, 00:22

This photo came with a lot from a GD album, including several graves marked 1 A R G D and dated July 1942. I am supposing that the nearest vehicle, and possibly the 3rd, maybe even the 2nd, are Tigers? I know little of tanks, but the exhausts on the nearest look curious. This may be just a run-of-the-mill poor quality shot of some other vehicle, but it would be nice to know.
Thanks for looking,
Kerry.
Attachments
img321.jpg

kerryboo

Re: GD Tiger?

Post by kerryboo » 09 May 2013, 00:29

My apologies, I did not mean to imply that the grave dates were relevant to the question, it just places the album within a loose time frame. Sorry for any confusion which may have been caused,
Kerry

eldar1

Post by eldar1 » 09 May 2013, 05:20

kerryboo,the photo is indeed of tiger tanks.The nearest vehicle has the early fiefel air filter system .That is what is on either side of the exhaust.If you look carefully at the second tigers tracks,you will see it still has it's transport tracks and not it's combat tracks still mounted.Tiger's were to wide with thier combat tracks to transport by train so a narrow set of tracks was neccesary to transport by train flat car.The full size set would be stowed on the same flat car till its arrival at it's next assignment.The outer set of wheels was also removed to narrow the tiger and also stowed on the same flat car. :milwink:

John Hilly

Post by John Hilly » 13 May 2013, 20:01

This Fiefel filtering was intended to DAK troops and operations, but these first batch Tigers were also sent to Russian front.

With best,
J-P :milwink:
"Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch!"

kerryboo

Post by kerryboo » 13 May 2013, 20:47

eldar1 and J=P,
Thank you both for your answers. In summary then, early production Tigers. But, do the transport tracks imply that they are not on active service, but, possibly, delivery behind the front line?
Cheers gentlemen,
Kerry.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 13 May 2013, 23:45

There seems to be something 'blocking' the view of the rear Tiger's RH side. This is also covering the track of the tank in front.
Has it been photoshoped to remove a watermark or tear?

kerryboo

Post by kerryboo » 14 May 2013, 00:03

No, slightly "blown-up" to clarify,and cropped to remove some background clutter, but otherwise exactly as it came from the album. I see what you mean, it looks like a floor-length cover, but it has not been added digitally.
Kerry

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”