Hetzer, Jagdpanther and waffenfarbe

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
edelweiss

Hetzer, Jagdpanther and waffenfarbe

Post by edelweiss » 22 Aug 2014, 10:18

I asked this question in the Waffen-ss section, but got no reply, so i'm going to ask it here.

Here it goes:

1)
What was the role of the Hetzer in the waffen SS?
For exmple in the aufklarungs-abteilung of panzer-jager or what abteilung and SS division has used most Hetzers?
And what was the waffenfarbe of SS personnel of the Hetzer?

2)
Same question about the Jagdpanther.
What was his role in the SS, in wich SS abteilung and in wich SS division mostly used, and wich waffenfarbe does the SS crew of a Jagdpanther use?

I hope i have formuled my questions good and get a fast answer.

Much regards in advance

edelweiss

Re: Hetzer, Jagdpanther and waffenfarbe

Post by edelweiss » 25 Aug 2014, 13:30

Nobody knows?

Dang :s

spannermann

Post by spannermann » 25 Aug 2014, 14:30

Hi,

I think you have confused people by the fact you have already stated in your question that the Waffen-SS used these vehicles differently to anyone else (the Heer for instance). Well they did not.

The Hetzer was a self-propelled anti-tank gun and would have eventually replace all the towed anti-tank guns in In the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS. which is why the Hetzer was scheduled to be produced at 600 vehicles per month eventually, and to increase over time to 1000 per month.
Consequently it would have been found in all divisions that would have had towed antitank guns and then in independant PzJag Abteilungs that could be used anywhere to improve local anti-tank defences.

However as the war neared its end Hetzers were also used instead of "the proper" vehicles in some sPz (Tiger) Abt and several Pz AA, as anything was better than nothing.

The Jagdpanther was to be the future (1945 and onwards) heavy anti-tank vehicle along with the Hetzer for the lighter roles. Its production was planned to be 150 per month and increasing.
The intention was for the Jagdpanther to also be in independant Pz J Abt but at the Corps or Army level of control, whereas the Hetzer PzJ Abts were for Corps and divisional level control.

But again as the end of the war got nearer, the Jagdpanther was also used as a susbstitute for panzers in some Pz Regts, and as far as I am aware the only time the W-SS used Jagdpanthers was as substitute vehicles in some panzer Regiments.

Waffenfarbe is for someone else to answer.

cheers leonard paul

edelweiss

Post by edelweiss » 25 Aug 2014, 14:52

So if i find out what the PanzerJäger waffenfarbe of the W-SS is, i can use it for the Hetzer and Jagdpanther?

And much thanks for the answer :)

spannermann

Post by spannermann » 25 Aug 2014, 15:25

Hi Edelweiss,

I am not a waffenfarbe person, but only to say that the waffenfarbe used, as I understand it, is to match whatever the unit designation is, (PzJ, Pz, Pz Art, Pz AA, Pz Pi etc.,), no matter what vehicle type they were using.

cheers leonard paul

edelweiss

Post by edelweiss » 25 Aug 2014, 15:32

Okay, thank you very much.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 25 Aug 2014, 19:56

Spannermann answered part of your question quite well. I am in no way a uniform expert, and I suspect you would get better results in the Uniform section. I would, however, suspect that the crewmembers of tank destroyer units would have the pink piping, while those Jagdpanzer 38's that were used as assault guns would have had the red piping. I am in no way certain about especially the latter.

edelweiss

Post by edelweiss » 25 Aug 2014, 20:12

StuG crews had red piping, maybe was the Hetzer the same categorie as those.
But i will ask in the uniform section.

And thanks for the reply :)

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”