German/Soviet Engineering?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
IronKross44

German/Soviet Engineering?

Post by IronKross44 » 13 Oct 2014, 19:20

Hi.

Just wanted to ask if anyone had any links to any videos or books about manufacturing and engineering, particularly German and Soviet during the first or second world wars? I'm trying to research the engineers, machinists and fabricators from this era, but I'm having no luck finding much of anything.

Any plans, accounts, videos or books on the matter would be fantastic. Blueprints, documentaries, I'll take it.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

SIS 5

Re: German/Soviet Engineering?

Post by SIS 5 » 21 Oct 2014, 17:44

Hi Ironcross,

there was no German and Soviet manufacturing and engineering during the first or second world wars, as far as I know, because in this time they were enemies. But between the two world wars there was some cooperation, especially between the Reichswehr and the Red Army.

Here three tips of literature:

Helm Speidel: "Reichswehr und Rote Armee"

Christpher Bahn: "Die ZUsammenarbeit der Reichswehr und der Roten Armee von 1919 bis 1934"

Manfred Zeidler: "Reichswehr und Rote Armee 1920 - 1933. Wege und Stationen einer ungewöhnlichen Zusammenarbeit".

Regards

Bert

kerryboo

Re: German/Soviet Engineering?

Post by kerryboo » 31 Oct 2014, 00:50

Bert,
To say that Germany and the Soviet Union were enemies throughout the Second World War is not strictly true. The two nations had entered into a trade and non-agression pact, brokered by von Ribbentrop and Molotov, on August 23 1939. The two countries were not strictly enemies until the opening Operation Barbarossa, the invasion, by Germany and her allies, of the Soviet Union.
As this operation began on June 22 1941, for about 30% of the duration of WW2 Germany and the Soviet Union, whilst not allies, were not enemies.
Given the mutual distrust between them, however, it is unlikely that there was any major exchange of technologies before they found themselves at war with each other.
Kerry.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”