Opel Maultiers of DAK

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
ilfil

Opel Maultiers of DAK

Post by ilfil » 10 Dec 2014, 12:02

Hi all!
I need your help.
Here is a picture I've thought from years was taken in Africa.

You know those white strips on the softskins bonnets are typical for DAK. However, a friend turned my attention the white strips are surrounded by black (or some dark colour) stips both sides. So now I don't know what to think. Was this pic shot in Africa indeed, or elsewhere?
Note also the vehicles are with the experimental Opel suspension of the tracked part.
The same freind claims there were no Maultiers in Africa, of any make. Is he right or not? I'll be really thankful if somebody here can shed a light on this problem. Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
"...and on the 8th day He made truck so that man, made on 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night."

SIS 5

Re: Opel Maultiers of DAK

Post by SIS 5 » 10 Dec 2014, 16:47

Hi ilfil,

a really interesting pic, but it cannot be in Northern Africa. For me the photo was taken in Russia during the winter or in the spring. I will try to explain why I think so:
1. You can see snow in the forground on the left and rest of snow in the background on the right.
2. You can see the mud under the tracks of the "Maultier"-trucks.
3. The uniforms are not from the German Africa Korps.
So Your friend is right and there were no Maultiers in Northern Africa, of any make. I have seen a lot of pics, but none with a Maultier of the DAK.

Regards

Bert

ilfil

Post by ilfil » 10 Dec 2014, 23:14

Hi Bert!
I'm really thankful for your comprehensive reply with comments on obvious facts I've apparently missed with my old Mk. I eyeballs. :( Well, I'm not much into the uniforms, any of them, but it is supposed I can distinguish snow from rocks! :oops:
Thanks again, that's why I like this place!
Cheers!
Ilian
"...and on the 8th day He made truck so that man, made on 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night."

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 11 Dec 2014, 09:38

Is that not snow on the hill in the background in the photograph ?

As for the mud, there was lots of mud in North Africa, especially in Tunisia. That said this isn't North Africa.
Alan

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”