German Methods of Salvaging Tanks

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
ChristopherPerrien

Re: German Methods of Salvaging Tanks

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 16 Sep 2016, 21:12

High temperature fires soften and warp armor plating and make such parts useless for anything but being melted down. Once a tank "burns" , either the hull and/or turret often are no further use , except for "scrap metal".

I would doubt most of the ones with burnt turrets AND hull/engines were dragged home, as the cost in recovery assets (fuel, manpower, vehicles, and vehicle hours) used plus reforging would outweigh the ton value of recovered metal. But it may well be possible the German's blanket order applied to such and wasted a bunch of assets doing so. Seemed to occur often in Germany at the time with rules such as various "Fuehrer directives".

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 20 Sep 2016, 14:52

http://www.panzerworld.com/homeland-armor-maintenance

There are some amazing stats in this link. The Germans apparently continued repairing even light panzers as long as they did. StuGs seem to be under-represented considering the numbers fielded (compare to Panzer IV). StuGs may have been easier to fix in the field in most cases. Soviet tanks were repaired but that stopped soon. Armored cars were evidently easily rebuilt. March 44 saw a big 'scrap-out' to possibly clean house and make room. Overall, the effort was a stream of AFV once a 'junkyard' stock had been built. Also, parts and the scrap actually had alloy value.

I suppose with the retreats in late 44, the 'stream' of drag-backs dwindled.

Kawinksy

Post by Kawinksy » 01 Oct 2016, 15:55

Just for comparison:

10,259 tanks have been repaired in the field, while ony 603 in homeland repair during same period.

Scorpio

Post by Scorpio » 01 Nov 2016, 04:04

I think the main reason therefor was the allied air superority at this time. Because the railway tracks were destroyed through bombings, it was quite more difficult for the germans to send their tanks back in homeland for repairing as in the earlier days of the war.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 26 Nov 2016, 01:38

Kawinksy wrote:Just for comparison:

10,259 tanks have been repaired in the field, while only 603 in homeland repair during same period.
This would probably be all repairs done in the 'field', anything beyond first line maintenance. I suspect it would then also entail depot service as well as actual 'field' repairs.

The homeland repairs, by definition are actually losses to the units that were assigned them. They are overhauls and repairs that could not be attempted by the hard pressed mechanics.

Something like a Tiger I transmission overhaul could not be done in the field. It was taken back to a rear depot unit since it entailed the removal of many parts and was beyond what most repair units could accomplish. Not so with most engines. It would require a crane but most field repairs could be done.

The 'homeland' repairs are the end of the line and could produce afv but it also produced valable parts and scrap.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 26 Nov 2016, 03:10

Kawinksy wrote:Just for comparison:

10,259 tanks have been repaired in the field, while ony 603 in homeland repair during same period.
Interesting document, thanks! Is it from a NARA roll?

Kawinksy

Post by Kawinksy » 01 Dec 2016, 13:47

Yoozername wrote: This would probably be all repairs done in the 'field', anything beyond first line maintenance. I suspect it would then also entail depot service as well as actual 'field' repairs.
Yes, I do belive that it also include the repairs done in the Western Front and the Italian Cmpgn, as the return of tanks for homeland repairs are listed separately.
Yoozername wrote:The homeland repairs, by definition are actually losses to the units that were assigned them. They are overhauls and repairs that could not be attempted by the hard pressed mechanics.

Something like a Tiger I transmission overhaul could not be done in the field. It was taken back to a rear depot unit since it entailed the removal of many parts and was beyond what most repair units could accomplish. Not so with most engines. It would require a crane but most field repairs could be done.

The 'homeland' repairs are the end of the line and could produce afv but it also produced valable parts and scrap.
I agree, I've read that 70-80% of the repairs were done at the frontline maintenance, either in the first (minor repairs, including engine and transmission, 25 km away) or in the second line (rear, 200 km away, supply headquarter, service units and repair depots for the general overhauls of engines and transmissions) and less than 5-10% of repairs were meant for homeland repair.
Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Interesting document, thanks! Is it from a NARA roll?
I have it from http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/. If you like I can post further documents as I don't have a link at hand.

Kawinksy

Post by Kawinksy » 01 Dec 2016, 14:02

Tanks to return for homeland repairs, Eastern Front:

Kawinksy

Post by Kawinksy » 01 Dec 2016, 14:10

Continuation:

Last edited by Kawinksy on 01 Dec 2016, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kawinksy

Post by Kawinksy » 01 Dec 2016, 14:13

Tanks were used without proper maintenance day and night, week for week until they broke down:

tigre

Post by tigre » 09 Jun 2018, 15:19

Hello to all :D; a little more......................

Werkstatt Kompanie in action!

Recovery was mandatory, even though cannibalization was often the only possible use to which the recovered vehicle could be put............................................

Source: http://odkrywca.pl/panzer-1939-czesc-14,721701.html
ARMY PAMPHLET No. 20-202 GERMAN TANK MAINTENANCE IN WORLD WAR II.

Cheers. Raul M 8-).
Attachments
image008.jpg
Personnel of the workshop section recovering the usable parts of a Pz Kw III Ausf. C during the Polish campaign of 1939..................................................
image008.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 6454 times

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 09 Jun 2018, 20:08

Does anyone know to what extent the Germans brought back destroyed enemy tanks (in the east) just for the scrap value? I can't imagine they would not since the alloyed metal would be prime scrap. Especially all the Soviet tanks lost early in the war.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”