Question concerning Type 89 capabilities

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Tanksandmaritime

Question concerning Type 89 capabilities

Post by Tanksandmaritime » 26 Mar 2015, 21:22

Hi all, I'm a tank enthusiast conducting a bit of informal research into various armoured vehicles utilised during WWII. As the title says, I'm currently interested in the Japanese Type 89.

Specifically, I'd like to know more about how effective the Type 89's main gun was at certain ranges against enemy armour. Most stats I've seen so far say that at 500 metres, the tank could penetrate 20mm armour. But what about at shorter distances - for example: 250m, 100m, 50m, 10m, 5m? At these sort of ranges (assuming it could get within these distances to an enemy tank without being destroyed), was the Type 89 more effective at penetrating armour (or not)? If yes, by how much?

Also - and this is purely hypothetical - assuming that a Type 89's weapon is more effective at shorter ranges, are there ways it could theoretically neutralise the American M4 Sherman? By 'neutralise', I don't just mean destroy (though this is one meaning); I'm also referring to possible ways of putting the tank out of action without outright obliterating it (such as targeting the treads to immobilise it, etc).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”