Panzer Turret number Id.

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Tirdad

Panzer Turret number Id.

Post by Tirdad » 12 Apr 2015, 16:40

hello...

is posiblle to id. a tank by its turret/engine numbers?

where i`m in, there are some ww2 vehicles and tanks...

i. e.: A Pz. III ausf M has a turret number: AI 0286

can someone tell me which unit had this tank in it`s service?
Hey guys, please follow me on social medias.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/red.tulip.75641
Twitter: @ RedTulip2017139
Support me on Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=7849537
Thank you.

Sam Wren

Re: Panzer Turret number Id.

Post by Sam Wren » 16 Apr 2015, 09:32

Hi Tirdad,

There was a standard system of markings that was "suggested" for all Panzer Divisions, so very often the numbers themselves are not very useful for identifying the unit to which the Panzer belonged. However, some units decided to create their own number systems or changed them a bit. In other cases, the numbers themselves may be the standard numbers used by many other units, but the color and/or style and/or the location of the numbers may be unique, which can be the basis for identifying the unit to which it belongs. You will probably have a better chance at getting an accurate identification if you were to post an image of the tank in question.

Simon H

Post by Simon H » 16 Apr 2015, 11:26

Hi Tirdad,
I think you are referring to the cast Fahrgestell number on the hull? This can tell you when it was made. If there are indeed Pz III relics in Iran then many people will be very interested in seeing them.

Best,
Simon
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

Tirdad

Post by Tirdad » 17 Apr 2015, 09:04

Sam Wren wrote:Hi Tirdad,

There was a standard system of markings that was "suggested" for all Panzer Divisions, so very often the numbers themselves are not very useful for identifying the unit to which the Panzer belonged. However, some units decided to create their own number systems or changed them a bit. In other cases, the numbers themselves may be the standard numbers used by many other units, but the color and/or style and/or the location of the numbers may be unique, which can be the basis for identifying the unit to which it belongs. You will probably have a better chance at getting an accurate identification if you were to post an image of the tank in question.
hi Sam,

it`s a military base, i can`t take a photo.

this panzer is hit by 2 57 mm rounds...

one, direct to driver`s priscope, and the 2nd, hit turret`s right side.

i found an id. tag, and a name on it:

Obergefreiter Nordwin Ker(Unreadabele, badly burnet.)

i just know that these Panzers and other equipments in this base, was moved to iran by Soviets in 1943.

and i`m sure this tank is hit by a soviet 57 mm AT gun, but where & when, i don`t know.
Support me on Patreon:
Thank you.

Tirdad

Post by Tirdad » 17 Apr 2015, 09:17

Simon H wrote:Hi Tirdad,
I think you are referring to the cast Fahrgestell number on the hull? This can tell you when it was made. If there are indeed Pz III relics in Iran then many people will be very interested in seeing them.

Best,
Simon
hello simon,

yes ... i saw again... it`s on the hull,

sorry for mistake.

also:

there are many things of that era in iran ... but all of them are in military bases ...

we are a group and are trying to convince them to repair and show Open to the public...

like reencaments in UK and other countryies...
Support me on Patreon:
Thank you.

Simon H

Post by Simon H » 17 Apr 2015, 09:38

Very unusual to find an ID tag with a name on it. This was not encouraged as it was an obvious security risk. The tag should tell you the unit the owner was in? A picture of it would be useful.
WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken Identification.

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 17 Apr 2015, 09:56

Hi Tirdad,

I think I misunderstood your original question. I thought you were referring to the Turmnummer which was painted on the turret to indicate, usually, the Kompanie, Zug and individual tank within the Zug. But it seems that you are actually asking about a number that identified a specific subassembly of the tank and that was attached to the subassembly in the form of a plate or etched/struck into the metal and/or was painted. I am not very familiar with these various numbers. The Fahrgestellnummer is the one that is most referenced and this was - if I understand it correctly - the serial number for the tank as a whole. I have seen various people claiming that certain Fahrgestellnummern belong to "X" unit. There are probably scattered records where certain units that received AFVs documented the Fahrgestellnummern of those received and there may be scattered records of those that were allocated and/or shipped to certain units, but to my knowledge no comprehensive lists survived. The same goes for the numbers for the various subcomponents, but there might be partial lists in existence. The various Panzer Tracts makes references to these various numbers. Like I said, I am not very familiar with this topic so hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”