Tiger Tank Units and their (IN)famous crews

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Miles Krogfus

Tiger Tank Units and their (IN)famous crews

Post by Miles Krogfus » 08 May 2015, 21:24

Hi,
Starting in 1985 I corresponded with veterans of Grossdeutschland and many other Panzer divisions, and smaller units, as 12 Tiger tank companies/battalions (and had the addresses and phone numbers of all the members of the Knight's Cross organization) including Willi Fey and Paul Egger of the 102/502 SS, received documents from these vets that no archive has, including the War Diary of 2/102 SS in Normandy, so as I read the excellent forums in your site I may be able to share some information with you. I have 150 microfilm rolls of German records from the National Archives, data from Russsian, British, Canadian archives, American Watertown Lab reports on WW II armor plate and AP rounds, firing tables of tank/
anti tank guns and . . .
Miles Krogfus

nomis

Re: Tiger Tank Units and their (IN)famous crews

Post by nomis » 10 May 2015, 12:03

Hi Miles,

As a Tiger 'enthusiast' I would very much like to hear what you have to offer reference Tiger Battalions, crew, unit actions, etc.

Regards,

Simon [UK]

Miles Krogfus

Post by Miles Krogfus » 10 May 2015, 16:54

I corresponded with the head of the German RAL and exchanged documents and other data with him. I have a complete collection of RAL color chips of Panzer colors, including the 2 examples of Dark "Yellow" that were the base colors for Panzers in the late war. Also, for example, I have German paint supply data to some Panzer units for Operation Citadel, and listings of individual tanks production numbers, as the 2 Panther units and the II SS Panzer Corps. So I know in some cases when different camo schemes were used. Thus if you have a 1942-45 Tiger, 1943-45 Panther or Panzer IV model that you want to know the correct colors for, I may be able to help . . .
Last edited by Miles Krogfus on 10 May 2015, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Miles Krogfus

Post by Miles Krogfus » 10 May 2015, 17:15

In a week or so, I will finish Spring Cleaning and arranging, and then will find more letters from Das Reich and 102 SS Tiger vets (I looked at some yesterday). Also, Fey's Berlin Document Center personnel records have no copy of ANY decorations, including DKIG and KC. He was credited with 11 kills on August 7, 1944 not 15 (versus 2 British units). Weiss was more a friend of his than Weiss was with Egger, so said that Fey was the best Tiger "ace" in the 102 SS but that was a post war remark . . . Kurt Meyer and Julius Hinrichsen were the two best Das Reich Tiger gunners, and Julius told me that Kurt was the BEST. I will check books published about their units, and since they both gave me their complete lists of kills and some battle tales, I will see what has not been published about them . . .

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”