502 Tiger Abt. summer 1944 combats

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Miles Krogfus

Re: 502 Tiger Abt. summer 1944 combats

Post by Miles Krogfus » 23 Nov 2015, 07:43

The 502 Abt. had either 26 or 31 Tigers on June 24th not 56. I know of no German report or veteran calling ko'd Panzers not repaired as non-combat losses, for this would be absurd. I use the Russian and German destruction and repair level information that I have given elsewhere for their combats. Your counting suggestion is quite lucid, but Western Allied ways of counting I can mention if I post details of Panzers versus them, as in November 1944 battles. However, often American, British and Canadian tank combat reports are more lacking in important details than German or Russian ones.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 23 Nov 2015, 16:33

Miles Krogfus wrote:The 502 Abt. had either 26 or 31 Tigers on June 24th not 56.
We need the full numbers for June. Fit Tigers and all those in repair. For June 1st I have seen a total of 58 Tigers of which 34 were ready for action. Thus a full count for June and one in August would solve all our problems. I have a source that give a September 1 total of 27 Tigers. 19 fit and 8 in repair.

Miles Krogfus

Post by Miles Krogfus » 23 Nov 2015, 20:34

The Abt. had a summer 1944 TO&E of 45 Tigers. However Jentz in "Panzertruppen 2" also gives 502 Abt. 57 with 33 operational on 31 May 1944 (page 205) then for 15 March 1945 13 (12 operational) for the 502 become the 511 Abt. (p.247). It gave away cats to other Tiger units after August 1944. In 1945 it had only 1 reduced company of Tiger I's and 1 with a few King Tigers and a Hetzer company. The daily strength reports of the unit from its return to combat in late June 1944 through late August never give any of the 3 companies more than its TO&E strength. They do not get mentioned in the daily after action reports . . .

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 24 Nov 2015, 00:19

The number of in service Tigers is no good on its own. We need the total of all tanks including those 'in repair'. Because tanks rotated in and out of repair it is possible for a unit with 45 Tigers to have (for example) a daily total of 25 fit/20 in repair Tigers for a month thus just reading their records would lead you to believe there were no losses when in fact 8 Tigers a day were getting knocked out whilst another 8 came out of repair. The other 12 in repair could be total wrecks that never got repaired. Without the daily numbers or at least a few check-points all we have is the start and end numbers and 502 were overstrength in June 1944 having more than 45 Tigers. I made allowance for the Tiger transfers and none were within the June-August window anyway.

Miles Krogfus

Post by Miles Krogfus » 24 Nov 2015, 02:25

My original post already gives complete Tiger loss information for the 2 months versus Soviet armor. As Christian Ankerstjerne has stated, it would make no sense for a combat unit to send false information to higher headquarters, and so fail to receive necessary replacement of weapons and their parts.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 24 Nov 2015, 03:46

The mis-match in numbers here is too great to avoid the conclusion one version is completely wrong. One says 11 Tigers lost and the other 29. sPzAbt 502 only got 100-105 Tigers during the entire war.

This from Schneider TIC 1 Pages 82-88

23 June 1944: After the Soviet main offensive is launched, the battalion (still attached
to the X X X V I I I . Armee-Korps) is alerted at 2000 hours. The 2./schwere Panzer-Abteilung
502 is ordered to support the counterattack of the 121. Infanterie-Division f r om an assembly
area 4 kilometers west of Sseschtkino. T h e 3./schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 starts from
Pyljai, following the road from the Kirowa farm to Schapkowo, advancing to the hills near
Sujewo. After a thirty-kilometer movement-to-contact, 22 tanks reach the assembly area.
The l./schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 is attached to the L . Armee-Korps (16. Armee).
24 June 1944: The attack against the so-called Judennase ("Jew's Nose") is launched
without adequate coordination with the infantry and comes to a halt. Despite warning, 1
Tiger does not stop its advance and is knocked out. 1 T i g e r (Unteroffizier Wesely) has to
be knocked out by German gunfire after several artillery hits. The 3./schwere Panzer-
Abteilung 502 is used by Pionier-Bataillon 121 in a flank attack against Woschtschinino.
Again, German infantry cannot follow. 20 tanks and 15 antitank guns knocked out. 2
Tigers are damaged. The 2./schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 has to withdraw; the
3./schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 is relocated to Pyljai and is resupplied.
Total tanks: 56.
25 June 1944: Both companies stay in this assembly area, except the 1st Platoon of the
2. /schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 which is employed in the defense of the command post
of the 1./Grenadier-Regiment 94 in Schapkowo.
26 June 1944: New enemy attack against the hills. T h e 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung
502 (Hauptmann von Schiller) has 6 Tigers employed with Pionier-Bataillon 121 near
Woschtschinino-Sujewo. The other 6 Tigers (Carius together with 4 Tigers of the
3. /schwere Panzer Abteilung 502) are on the left with Grenadier-Regiment 94. T h e Tigers
support a counterattack up to Sujewo but have to withdraw i n the difficult terrain after 2
losses. Several tanks and antitank guns destroyed. In the afternoon, 4 more Tigers (Hauptmann
von Leonhardt) arrive from Pylai. Altogether, 9 Tigers are immobilized.
27 June 1944: Two of these Tigers have to be destroyed by German gunfire; 5 can be
recovered.
Total tanks: 54.
28 June 1944: A Kampfgruppe under Leutnant E i c h h o r n destroys 2 KV-ls and 1
SHERMAN.
1 July 1944: T h e battalion is attached to the X X X V I I I . Armee-Korps; 41 tanks operational.

2 July 1944
: The battahon is transported by rail to Dunaburg (Dauganpils). I n the
meantime, the enemy forces outflank Witebsk, and the destruction of Heeresgruppe Mitte
starts.
3 July 1944: Another 2 immobilized Tigers have to be knocked out by friendly fire.
Since 24 J u n e 1944, the battalion has destroyed 25 tanks, 2 ISU-152s and 19 antitank guns.
2,200 rounds of 8.8-centimeter main-gun ammunition were fired along with 64,000 rounds
of machine-gun ammunition.
Total tanks: 52.
4-6 July 1944: T h e battalion arrives i n Dunaburg; the tanks are i n an assembly area on
the southern bank of the D i i n a River in the area of Peski and Laucesa, 8 kilometers south
of Dunaburg. 22 Tigers operational.
8 July 1944: T h e battalion receives order to march along the road Diinaburg-Sarasai to
Deguziai to j o i n the 205. Infanterie-Division i n a relief operation to free trapped forces
near Pilkoniai. Despite the high temperature, a road march of 50 kilometers is ordered,
resulting i n numerous breakdowns. Only 5 tanks with the 2./schwere Panzer-Abteilung
502 and 3 Tigers with the 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 are operational by the end of
the march.
10 July 1944: While the 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 (5 Tigers) covers the bridge
at Deguziai, the 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 (9 Tigers) attacks H i l l 216 2 kilometers
southwest of Graniai. German infantry cannot follow and, after two attempts, the relief
attack is called off. I n the dark, the encircled forces succeed in breaking out. The
2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 (Leutnant E i c h h o r n with 6 Tigers) changes positions
with the 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 i n Gateliai. 8 Tigers break down due to mechanical
failures; 2 are knocked out. 16 enemy antitank guns are destroyed.
Total tanks: 50.
11 July 1944: A Kampfgruppe of the 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 ( E i c h h o r n with
3 tanks) covers the withdrawal of Grenadier-Regiment 335 north of Gateliai and pushes
back an enemy attack near Uceniskes. 1 Tiger is damaged by a turret hit. Subsequently, all
immobilized tanks are recovered. Most of the tanks of the 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung
502 (von Schiller with 7 tanks) conduct a road march of 65 kilometers (!) from Deguciai
on the road to Dunaburg, i n order to assist the 215. Infanterie-Division at Tarzeka. 5 tanks
break down; 2 repair tanks rejoin their units shortly later. Karasino is recaptured with the
II./Grenadier-Regiment 435. 10 tanks and 6 antitank guns are knocked out near Teilex. 2
Tigers are destroyed by antitank guns; 2 others suffer engine failure.
Total tanks: 48.
12 July 1944: T h e 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 is employed with 4 Tigers with the
225. Infanterie-Division on the road Drasiniai-Antaliepte. I t knocks out 2 T-34s and then
advances to Kabiciuniai. D u r i n g the night, relocation to Vensavai. I n the northern part of
the strait between Lake Dryswiaty a n d Lake Ricu, a Kampfgruppe (Carius with 4 Tigers)
stabilizes the situation of Estonian and Latvian police forces near Markinkowicze.
The l./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 arrives with 10 Tigers from Idritza, where it had
been attached to the X . Armee-Korps), i n Dunaburg, bringing the battalion to full strength.
But the company is split i n two. One half supports the 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 in
Vensavai (55 kilometers southwest of Dunaburg). the remaining 5 Tigers are sent to the
81. Infanterie-Division as a new Kampfgruppe around the Vazsaliena collective farm (20
kilometers east of Dunaburg).
13 July 1943: Only parts of the 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 i n action with the 215.
Infanterie-Division, again stabilizing the Latvian infantry. T h e main body of the 3./schwere
Panzer Abteilung 502 is in an assembly area at Vensavai; one platoon secures Antaliepte.
14 July 1944: Enemy attack against Grenadier-Regiment 377 (225. Infanterie-Division)
is pushed back near Ataliepte by 2 Tigers (Leutnant Plassmann) of the 3./schwere

Abteilung 502. Later on, the reinforced 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 forms a Kampfgruppe
with the IL/Grenadier-Regiment 377 for the capture of Stosjunai (behind Hill
175). The attack has to be postponed; 6 antitank guns are destroyed.
Kampfgruppe Carius is employed north of Karasino and captures Bolnorycze; during
the night, it marches back to Nurwiance.
16 July 1944: Enemy penetration of the 215. Infanterie-Division 8 kilometers south of
Turmont is cleared up by the 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 (Carius) together with
Grenadier-Regiment 189. Afterwards, withdrawal behind the hill north of Marnga. Kampfgruppe
Baumann ( l . / s c h w e r e Panzer Abteilung 502) counterattacks to the south with
Grenadier-Regiment 436 (132. Infanterie-Division) along the road Babascki-Borony. The
attack comes to halt; 3 Tigers knocked out. The battalion destroys 10 antitank guns.
Total tanks: 43.
17 July 1944: Kampfgruppe Bolter is moved from the sector of the 225. Infanterie-Division
i n an 80-kilometer road march to the sector of the 81. Infanterie-Division and
employed northeast of Silene, no enemy contact.
18 July 1944: Counterattack of Kampfgruppe Bolter (4 Tigers) with the 8 1 . Infanterie-
Division f r om Silene via Plauskiety to Urbany. Due to strong antitank-gun fire, the infantry
cannot keep pace. Movement back to Silene. Grenadier-Regiment 436 (132. Infanterie-
Division) attacks with Kampfgruppe Baumann (3 Tigers) from Babaszki to Borony and
then on Dzieruki (no success against D z i e r u k i ) . After dark, movement back to a strongpoint
north of Plusy. 7 enemy antitank guns are destroyed on this day.
19 July 1944: The l . / s c h w e r e Panzer Abteilung 502 is withdrawn f r om the sector of
the 8 1 . Infanterie-Division a n d moves i n an 80-kilometer road march to Zarasai (30 kilometers
southwest of Dunaburg). T h e 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 stays with the 225.
Infanterie-Division and is attached to the X X X I I I . Armee-Korps. T h e 2./schwere Panzer
Abteilung 502 remains i n the area of Turmont as a corps ready reserve. Leutnant Eichhorn
concentrates all tanks i n repair at Peski (8 kilometers west of Dunaburg).
20 July 1944: T h e 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 (4 Tigers) is ordered into a blocking
position 6 kilometers north of Komai. T h e company relieves an encircled artillery battery
near Kraupi; the Tigers towing back the guns. In the afternoon, 2 Tigers block enemy
attacks between Romanetjzky and Schipy; 4 T-34s knocked out. During a counterattack
with the III./Grenadier-Regiment 209 of the 58. Infanterie-Division south of Rokiskis, both
Tigers are destroyed by an ISU-152.
Total tanks: 43.
21 July 1944: 2 tanks of the 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 repeat this attack, but
they are also stopped. 6 enemy antitank guns destroyed.
22 July 1944: The battalion (minus the 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502) is ordered
to cross over to the north bank of the D i i n a to block further enemy attacks near Chmelnickaja
i n the direction of Dunaburg. Leutnant E i c h h o r n reconnoiters with 4 Tigers from
Peski up to Chmelnickaja. T h e l . / s c h w e r e Panzer Abteilung 502 follows with 6 Tigers; 2
hours later, the 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502.
The battalion commander is granted operational discretion i n the employment of his
tanks i n support of the 290. Infanterie-Division. He employs the l./schwere Panzer
Abteilung 502 with 6 Tigers i n an attack against L e i k u m i and Lielie-Truli to gain a blocking
position; 6 T-34/85s knocked out.
The 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 (Carius) with 8 Tigers takes a covering position
near Krivani. He attacks the town together with another tank (Feldwebel Kerscher) and
knocks out 17 JS-2s and 5 T-34s. Subsequently, the Kampfgruppe moves to a position 10
kilometers east of Krivani i n order to defeat the rest of the enemy brigade. When the
enemy brigade's main body approaches without any reconnaissance, it is ambushed; 28
tanks destroyed.

Kampfgruppe Eichhorn moves via Naujene railway station to Teltini. T h e 290. Infanterie-
Division succeeds i n establishing a blocking position i n the area Barkusi-Malinava-
Bondariski. T h e l . / s c h w e r e Panzer Abteilung 502 stays on the road near Malinava; the
2. /schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 i n Barkusi. A l l repaired-but-not-returned-to-their-unit
tanks are ordered to Krivani under the command of Hauptmann von Schiller. The
3. /schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 is relocated to Rokiskis. T h a t night, it is furthered
ordered to Pandelys (30 kilometers northwest of Rokiskis) and is attached to the 58. Infanterie-
Division.
23 July 1944: T h e attempt to free trapped forces at Malinava fails due to presence of
several J S tanks; 2 Tigers are damaged. I n the dark, relocation to the Liksnanka sector
near Silaciris. T h e 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 is assembled near Krivani. After an
enemy penetradon near Sarasai (40 tanks), the l./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 (5
Tigers) clears up the situation, knocking out 2 T-34s and 3 antitank guns. T h e 3./schwere
Panzer Abteilung 502 (with 3 Tigers) supports a Kampfgruppe attacking to the south from
Pandelys along the road to Skapiskis and throws the enemy back to Twiry. 1 T-34 and 6
antitank guns destroyed.
24 July 1944: Enemy attempts to cross the Liksnanka Creek. T h e 2./schwere Panzer
Abteilung 502 receives an order from the 290. Infanterie-Division to take positions with
one platoon along the line Tiltu-Sloboda-Rimsas i n order to block any flank attack on
Dunaburg. T h e remaining 6 tanks (Leutnant Nienstedt) stay near Krivani with Grenadier-
Regiment 503 and cover the road Diinaburg-Rositten to the northeast. Later on, they contain
strong tank forces, destroying 17 tanks including 2 SU-122s within 10 minutes at close
range. 1 T i g e r is knocked out by a 15.2-centimeter hit.
Total tanks: 42.
Kampfgruppe Carius is i n position near Rimsas. While conducting reconnaissance
near Kosniski, Leutnant Carius is badly wounded. He receives the Oak Leaves to the
Knight's Cross as the 535th recipient of the German Armed Forces on 27 J u l y 1944. (He
would not return to the battalion and would later command a company of Jagdtiger tank
destroyers i n the closing weeks of the war.)
The 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 supports an attack on Skapiskis again.
25 July 1944: Intending to close the gap between Milinava a n d Viski, the 16. Armee
orders a counterattack. Grenadier-Regiment 503 and 5 Tigers (Nienstedt) attack Malinava;
2 tanks and 3 antitank guns knocked out. Kampfgruppe Carius (now under command of
Leutnant E i c h h o r n ) fights its way through Auzgliani and contains an enemy tank attack
east of it, destroying 16 tanks. T h e last tank is knocked out by Kerscher at a range of only
50 meters. Afterwards, it r e t u rn to Tiltu-Sloboda. I n the afternoon, an attack on the peninsula
1 kilometer west of Auzgliani; 2 enemy antitank guns destroyed.
26 July 1944: Grenadier-Regiment 501 is moved to the east bank of the D i i n a i n order
to attack the L i k a n a railway station. Kampfgruppe Eichhorn supports it with 4 tanks, starting
i n Tiltu-Sloboda. Again, the strongly defended town of Auzgliani has to be passed. T he
tank of Unteroffizier Wiegand is totally destroyed by an antitank gun. Shortly after, Kerscher's
tank is also knocked out (3 men dead).
The attack gains ground as far as Leceji ( 1 kilometer f r om L i k a n a ) , but the infantry
cannot maintain contact. T h e Tigers are withdrawn to the D i i n a by order of the I I . Armee-
Korps. T h e two remaining Tigers have to break through and reach the bridgehead after
being hit many times, making factory repair necessary. Another Tiger is destroyed. A total
of 12 T-34s, 1 SU-122 and 10 antitank guns are knocked out.
Total tanks: 37.
27 July 1944: T h e 1. and 2./schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502 are ordered to move back
to the I l l u x Sector. The l./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 marches to the Lake Rauten
f a rm (10 kilometers south of E g l a i n e ) ; the 2./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 into a forest

northwest of Eglaine. At midnight, the 16. Armee issues the order to relocate to Abeli,
more than 35 kilometers into the sector of the X V I l l . Armee-Korps.
After the enemy launches an attack on Lotkuntzy, the 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung
502 (Leutnant Plassmann) is rushed there, but it has to be redirected during the march
back to Skapiskis, because strong enemy forces have encircled German forces there. I n a
counterattack, the enemy is forced to withdraw to Radzuniai (6 kilometers southwest of
Pandelys). 1 antitank gun is destroyed.
I n the period from 4-27 J u l y 1944, the battalion—scattered i n many places—knocked
out 84 tanks and 71 antitank guns, firing 1,431 rounds of 8.8-centimeter main-gun ammunition
and around 36,000 rounds of machine-gun ammunition.
28 July 1944: The 3./schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 is ordered by the 58. Infanterie-
Division to support an infantry attack on Lebedziai (while still dark). After a three-hour
engagement, the attack comes to a standstill near Schawdynizi; 5 T-34/85s and 2 antitank
guns are destroyed. A l l 4 Tigers receive severe hits and have to be withdrawn. T h e complete
battalion is attached to the X X X X I I I . Armee-Korps and moves to its new engagement
area south of Panemunis. I t initiates its march f r om Eglaine and moves via Subate,
Abeli and Rokiskis.
29 July 1944: The battalion is i n a defensive position around Miciunai; the 3./schwere
Panzer Abteilung 502 has to repair all its tanks i n the area north of Panemunis.
30 July 1944: I n the evening, the battalion is ordered into the area of Nereta (20 kilometers
north of Panemunis) as the ready reserve of the corps.
31 July 1944: Bridges of limited capacity prevent the battalion (8 Tigers) from supporting
the attack to the southwest of the 61. Infanterie-Division via Krievini and
Spalviskiai to the Paroveja road j u n c t i o n 8 kilometers northwest of Birsen ( B i r z a i ) . The
tanks can only follow slowly. A t about 1700 hours, 8 Tigers start attacking Birsen with
Grenadier-Regiment 435; 5 antitank guns destroyed. The attack stops after dark near
Stosjuniai, 6 kilometers northwest of Birsen. T h e tanks relocate to Pitiskis.
1 August 1944: 4 Tigers (Leutnant Baumann) and infantry are encircled on the road
Paroveja-Birsen. 12 tanks operational.
2 August 1944: 5 Tigers (Leonhardt) counterattack against Birsen. Having crushed an
enemy counterattack, 8 Tigers start the attack anew and finally seize Birsen. 11 antitank
guns knocked out.
3 August 1944: Several enemy immediate counterattacks on Birsen are pushed back.
4 August 1944: Kampfgruppe Bolter (5 Tigers) supports the heavily engaged 215.
Infanterie-Division and advances to the south from Kirkelai via Kalai. 8 enemy antitank
guns destroyed.
5 August 1944: Kampfgruppe Nienstedt (4 Tigers) repels Soviet attempts to break out
of a pocket north of Spalviskiai along the road to Krievini. T h e battalion is ordered to
become the field army's reserve nearjecava (40 kilometers south of Riga). Kampfgruppe
Nienstedt remains i n the area of Spalviskiai for several days. T h e battalion commander
breaks his leg; Hauptmann Leonhardt assumes acting command.
During the road march to Jecava, the battalion is stopped i n Schonberg after an
enemy breakthrough north of Birsen i n the sector of the 8 1 . Infanterie-Division ( I . Armee-
Korps). T h e battalion is attached to the corps.
6 August 1944: 2 Tigers, screening with Grenadier-Regiment 174 ( 8 1 . Infanterie-Division)
at Baizuni, spot 30-35 enemy tanks moving from the Pleiriai f a rm to the northwest
via Grumsliai. T h e y are headed right for Kampfgruppe Bolter (4 Tigers) at Pauperiai. Bolter
counterattacks and drives the enemy back, destroying several antitank guns. Reinforced
by 2 more Tigers ( E i c h h o r n ) , he pursues the enemy until he is stopped by the 8 1 . Infanterie-
Division near Swidziai (4 kilometers southeast of Schonberg) and ordered to take up
a blocking position on both sides of Jasikiai.

Leutnant E i c h h o r n is sent back on the road Birsen-Schonberg to Bobenai (1 antitank
gun knocked out). T h e r e he receives the mission to relieve an artillery battalion i n the
area of Lupisuis-Totoriai, 6 kilometers south of Bobenai. O n the way back from this successful
action, Eichhorn's tank is knocked out near Lupisuis and has to be destroyed. The
battalion is ordered to guard the towns of Baizuni, Pauperiai and Bobenai during the day
and to resupply at the ford near Schonberg during the night.
Total tanks: 36.
7 August 1944: I n the morning the battalion is ordered to attack to the south from
Kacenai to Bobenai despite an enemy penetration near Suostas. Contrary to the recommendations
of the battalion, the useless attack against Bobenai is condnued. When Bolter
(4 Tigers) is finally directed to Suostas at mid-day, the German infantry is already retreating.
After fierce fighting, Suostas is taken back (4 tanks and 3 antitank guns knocked out,
including one captured German 8.8-centimeter Pak, which knocked out 2 Tigers). After
dusk, the 8 1 . Infanterie-Division withdraws behind the Memel sector to Struski (4 kilometers
north of Schonberg) under cover of the Tigers.
Total tanks: 34.
8 August 1944: T h e battalion assembles near Sturni.
9 August 1944: 5 Tigers (Oberleutnant Schorer) destroy an enemy bridgehead on the
Memel east of Radviliskus i n the sector of the 6 1 . Infanterie-Division to the south. They are
assisted by Grenadier-Regiment 502. Destroyed or knocked out: 1 T-34, 2 T-34/85s, 1 SU-
122 and 1 SU-152. 1 Tiger burns out after several 8.5-centimeter hits. Hauptmann von
Foerster becomes the new battalion commander.
Total tanks: 33.
11 August 1944: Enemy forces break through the front of the 6 1 . Infanterie-Division
(near Cuzuli) and the 8 1 . Infanterie-Division. T h e available tanks of the battalion (Bolter
with 6 T i g e r s ) , counterattack together with parts of Grenadier-Regiment 189 along the
road form Gradnas to Anes and Memele. T h e German infantry suffers heavy casualties.
The Tigers fight on their own but have to withdraw after dusk. 1 Tiger burns out after a hit
from a captured 8.8-centimeter gun.
Total tanks: 32.
12 August 1944: New attack with Grenadier-Regiment 174 and Grenadier-Regiment
501 on the bridgehead, again without success. T h e Tigers wipe out an enemy position (7
antitank guns destroyed). Later on, an enemy immediate counterattack is pushed back (4
tanks knocked out). 1 T i g e r receives several direct artillery hits and starts burning; a second
one gets stuck i n a water-filled crater; a third one is immobilized after a hit i n the
engine compartment; and a fourth is immobilized with radiator damage. I n spite of this,
the last 2 Tigers continue the attack, but they cannot enter the strongly defended town.
After repulsing a tank attack, one Tiger tries to recover the bogged-down tank and is hit.
Bolter calls for support, but only two repaired tanks j o i n h im i n the evening. Another
attack results i n damage to the two newly arrived tanks. Only two of the immobilized tanks
can be recovered during the night.
Total tanks: 29.
13 August 1944: O n the recommendation of the battalion commander, the 2./schwere
Panzer Abteilung 502 is withdrawn from the sector of the 61. Infanterie-Division and
arrives at 0700 hours with 7 Tigers north o f Gradnas. T h e battalion (plus 2 repaired tanks)
again attacks Ames-Memele. Bolter knocks out an ex-German 8.8-centimeter Pak but is
also knocked out by a second one. Only the badly wounded commander and the driver
manage to bail out. (Leutnant Bolter later receives the Oak Leaves to the Knight's Cross
on 10 September 1944 as the 581st recipient of the German Armed Forces.) Ames-Memele
is taken
Total tanks: 28.

15 August 1944: 4 Tigers of Kampfgruppe Schiirer trap 25 enemy tanks south of Gradnas
and knock out 14.
16 August 1944: Kampfgruppe Leonhardt is again attached to Grenadier-Regiment
189 for the attack on Gradnas. T h e infantry suffers heavy casualties and cannot move on.
5 T-34s, 1 SU-85 and 2 T-34/85s are destroyed.
17 August 1944: Continuation of the fighting; 2 T-34s destroyed.
18-20 August 1944: T h e battalion remains under command of Leutnant Nienstedt
with 6 Tigers; it is placed i n reserve with the 290. Infanterie-Division n o r th of Emilgas.
22 August 1944: Kampfgruppe Plassmann supports a counterattack of the 215. Infanterie-
Division south of Bauske. 4 antitank guns and 1 assault gun destroyed, but also 1
Tiger. Relocation to 1.5 kilometers northwest of Eukeni.
Total tanks: 27.
25 August 1944: T h e battalion is ordered to be transported by r a i l to the X . Armee-
Korps i n the area northwest of E r g l i . Since 24 J u n e 1944, the battalion has destroyed 156
tanks and assault guns and 175 antitank guns.

Miles Krogfus

Post by Miles Krogfus » 24 Nov 2015, 19:48

Beschussen-Schaden am Panzer-Kampwagen VI (Tiger) Einsatzeit vom 22.6.-15.8.44 dated 502 Abt. !a/Wug 15.8.1944 lists-- I. Totalausfalle, nicht geborgen, zerstort in Feindeshand gefallen: 10 Tigers, some that could have been repaired if rescued from the battlefield. II. Ausfalle durch Beschuss, vom Gefechtsfeld geborgen, von Werkstatt-Kompanie Instand gesetzt: 22 Tigers. A later report adds 2 more to destroyed (1 from damaged), a final total of 12 destroyed. Final total of damaged and at 502 Abt. workshop repaired of 21.
Remember that I list in my original post the complete numbers of Tigers destroyed and damaged by Soviet armor. I do not give how many Tigers lost wheels and tracks to mines, how many motors and other Tiger parts were replaced, as my research concerns actual armor vs. armor and Pak combat results. The "destroyed" figure of Tigers for these 502 Abt. battles is larger than if certain damaged in combat Panzers would have been obtained from their combat areas and sent to the unit's workshop (or homeland repair depots, and thus listed as "totally lost" to the unit itself along with actually destroyed tanks, burned out or otherwise complete wrecks.)

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 25 Nov 2015, 04:03

Here is the basic Tiger loss info:

56 Tigers.

26 June 1944 9 Tigers are immobilized.
27 June 1944: Two of these Tigers have to be destroyed by German gunfire; 5 can be
recovered.
3 July 1944: Another 2 immobilized Tigers have to be knocked out by friendly fire.
10 July 1944: 8 Tigers break down due to mechanical failures; 2 are knocked out.
11 July 1944. 2 Tigers are destroyed by antitank guns; 2 others suffer engine failure.
16 July 1944. 3 Tigers knocked out
20 July 1944. 2 Tigers are destroyed by an ISU-152.
24 July 1944. 1 Tiger is knocked out by a 15.2-centimeter hit
26 July 1944. The tank of Unteroffizier Wiegand is totally destroyed by an antitank gun. Shortly after, Kerscher's tank is also knocked out (3 men dead). T h e two remaining Tigers have to break through and reach the bridgehead after being hit many times, making factory repair necessary Another Tiger is destroyed.
August 6 1944. Eichhorn's tank is knocked out near Lupisuis and has to be destroyed
August 7 1944. one captured German 8.8-centimeter Pak, which knocked out 2 Tigers
August 9 1944. 1 Tiger burns out after several 8.5-centimeter hits.
August 11 1944. 1 Tiger burns out after a hit from a captured 8.8-centimeter gun.
August 12 1944. 1 Tiger receives several direct artillery hits and starts burning; a second one gets stuck in a water-filled crater; a third one is immobilized after a hit in the engine compartment; and a fourth is immobilized with radiator damage. one Tiger tries to recover the bogged-down tank and is hit. Only two of the immobilized tanks can be recovered during the night.
August 13 1944. Bolter knocks out an ex-German 8.8-centimeter Pak but is also knocked out by a second one.
August 22 1944. 1 assault gun destroyed, but also 1 Tiger.
27 Tigers.

Tiger numbers
Start 56
Finish 27
Missing 29

5 Tigers were knocked out and unable to be recovered were destroyed by gunfire however they are still knocked out Tigers.
2 Tiger were damaged so badly they had to be sent home for rebuild. They are certainly knocked out Tigers.
3 knocked out and immobile Tigers were simply abandoned when the crews fled. Knocked out Tigers again.
4 Tigers claimed to be victims of captured 8.8cm (if you believe it) are still knocked out Tigers.

There is a total shrinkage of 29 Tigers of which it is being claimed only 11 were total losses. This means we would have 18 'phantom' unrecorded Tigers floating about the system .

Miles Krogfus

Post by Miles Krogfus » 26 Nov 2015, 09:28

502 Abt. Tigers destroyed/damaged sent to unit workshop June 24-August 22, 1944:
June 24-1/0, June 26-2/4, June 28-0/2.
July 10-0/2, July 11-0/2, July 16-0/3, July 18-0/1, July 22-0/2, July 26-3/0, July 28-0/1, July 31-0/1.
August 1-0/1, August 6-1/1, August 9-1/0, August 11-1/0, August 12-0/2, August 13-1/0, August 17-1/(5), August 22-1/0.
Totals of 12 destroyed, 22 damaged and repaired by unit. On August 17th, the day's 5 badly damaged Tigers were sent to a German repair depot.
So a grand total of 27 damaged. Thus the "total loss" figure is 17 (destroyed and returned home for repair). The Tiger kills and losses in armor combats listed in my initial post are complete.
The 502 Abt. lost 15 killed, 3 missing, 100 wounded. No officers killed, 1 missing, 3 wounded. Killed 6390 Soviets.
502 Abt. records that I have quoted never mention more than a Tiger unit's TO&E of 45 big cats.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”