Insane amount of Beute-Panzer (captured tanks) - what happened to them?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
militaryhistoryvisualized

Insane amount of Beute-Panzer (captured tanks) - what happened to them?

Post by militaryhistoryvisualized » 03 Sep 2016, 13:03

I recently stumbled across the number of tanks the Germans captured in Operation Barbarossa. The Source:
Das Deutsche Reich und der Zweite Weltkrieg - Band 6, S. 787 (Germany and the Second World War - Volume 6).
It lists the original source as: OKH, GenStdH Gen. Qu., 10-Tage-Meldung vom 25.3.1942, BA-MA, Wi/I F 5.1919.

Now the number of captured tanks is: 15 004
In contrast planes is: 1042
artillery pieces of all types: 27 814
MGs: 33742

I know that the Germans used quite many captured tanks throughout the war, but 15 000. I assumed it includes non-operational or something, but still, what did they do with them? I know the melted B-17s and other planes, but funnily I never heard/read about the melting of tanks. The only thing I know are companies of T-34 (or various French tanks), but T-34s were rather limited in 1941, so the majority of these tanks was probably T-26, BT-5, BT-7, etc.

What happened to them?

MadderCat

Re: Insane amount of Beute-Panzer (captured tanks) - what happened to them?

Post by MadderCat » 07 Sep 2016, 15:54

hi
most disabled tanks were towed to scrapyards/collecting points or were just left at the place where they were knocked out
running tanks were used as long they had fuel or spare parts were available, but this was done not on special orders mere pn individual actions of unit
please check for pictures or units the beutepanzer.ru site, this will give you some hints

weapons as guns or artillery pieces were used as long they had ammo for them,
please remember that some artillery guns or antitank weapons did use the same caliber as the german ones

regards

Stefan

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”