Captured M2 and T35C tanks?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
bertamingo

Captured M2 and T35C tanks?

Post by bertamingo » 21 Jan 2017, 07:53

Hello people, I ran into an article on the captured equipment designation in the German military. On the list, there's mentioning of these two types of tanks. The American M2 tanks, according to Wikipedia, either only served in Asia-Pacific or didn't see combat at all, while the T35C was the mistaken designation of SMK prototype tank. I was wonder under what circumstances did the Germans capture these two types? Any help would be much appreciated.

Besides, did the Germans capture any M7 self-propelled howitzer and Danish armoured motorcycles? :)

Sheldrake

Re: Captured M2 and T35C tanks?

Post by Sheldrake » 21 Jan 2017, 10:53

bertamingo wrote: Besides, did the Germans capture any M7 self-propelled howitzer and Danish armoured motorcycles? :)
I don't know about armoured motorcycles, but they must have captured some M7 equipment in Tunisia or the Battle of the Bulge. The problem with using a captured M7 howitzer, or any other field artillery is ammunition supply. I don't think they captured enough M7s or US 105mm howitzers to make it worth while manufacturing the ammunition. In North Africa and Normandy the British captured enough ammunition for 88mm guns to equip "Mac Troop" troop of four 88mm which joined the artillery of 2nd NZ Division in march 1943, and for the "last ditch" anti tank defences of the Normandy beachhead to include captured 88mm guns manned by detachments from HAA regiments.

bertamingo

Re: Captured M2 and T35C tanks?

Post by bertamingo » 22 Jan 2017, 01:56

Thanks a lot Sheldrake. Last year I saw a photo of an M7 Priest SPG, purportedly captured by Germans, however its quality was poor so there's no way to tell if the soldiers on it were wearing German or US uniforms, and there's no German cross. In addition to Tunisia and the Bulge, Italy and even France could be possible places for a captured M7, as the Germans managed to capture M10 Wolverines in these places. Just as you said, any captured M7 would have suffered from lack of ammo, so probably they were used by Germans briefly before being self-destroyed.

The information on captured 88s is very interesting, thank you!!!

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”