Ladungsleger I

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Falou

Ladungsleger I

Post by Falou » 27 Dec 2003, 18:14

Hello the community,

I'am actually searching informations on the Ladungsleger I auf PzKpfw I Ausf B. Specialy the combat service of this vehicul... I've read that 10 PzKpfw I Ausf B of each 3rd Pz Pioniere Kompanie in the Panzer Divisions were converted with Ladungsleger Device. Is it correct? Could you tell me more about this info? Which division were concerned?

Thanks a lot for your help.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 27 Dec 2003, 18:31

Hello,

During the French campaign in 1940, a new mine clearing / strongpoint destruction method was developped, using modified Pzkpfw I Ausf.B with an arm and a 50kg explosive charge. 10 Ladungsleger auf Panzerkampfwagen I were used in the 3.Pionierekompanie of the 1. PzD.

David

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Dec 2003, 18:46

Only two Ladungsleger I were completed. It could carry up to 75kg. One was given to Pionier-Batallion 39, 3. Panzer-Division and one was given to Pionier-Batallion 58, 7. Panzer-Division.

You are probably referring to the Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung. It was first employed by Pionier-Batallion 38, 2. Panzer-Division, and in K.St.N. 716 of 6 March 1940, five vehicles were to be placed in each of two Zerstörungszuge, with each Panzer-Pionier-Kompanie in each Panzer-Division.

Source: Panzer Tracts 14; Thomas Jentz and Hilary Doyle; Panzer Tracts

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 27 Dec 2003, 19:15

Hi Christian,

Is the achtungpanzer website wrong when stating that :
In 1939/40, 100 of PzKpfw I Ausf A/B were converted into Ladungsleger I (Ladungsleger auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A or B / zerstorerpanzer) - 50kg explosive charge layer vehicle. Two variants existed and differed only in the equipment used for the delivery of the charge. They were especially designed for engineer units to provide them with the charge carrier for delayed action explosives and saw combat service during the Blitzkrieg in the West (e.g. with 7th Panzer Division) and then some in Russia.
I never heard about the Pz.Kpfw.I mit Abwurfvorrichtung, what is the difference with the Ladungsleger auf Pz.Kpfw.I ? Any photos of the first one ?

Regards,

David

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Dec 2003, 19:27

Yes, it's wrong - the Ladungsleger I was merely a prototype of which only two vehciles were manufactured. The name was mixed up with that of the Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung...

Christian

Falou

Post by Falou » 27 Dec 2003, 20:02

Hi Christian,

I'm a little confused with that Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung

On the "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War II" from Peter Chamberlain and Hilary Doyle, I read that the Ladungsleger auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B was produced more than 2 prototypes... and I don't find a word about the "Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung".... and I see on your post that your source (Panzer Tracts 14) has been written by one of the same author of my book: Hilary Doyle.

So, what is the good work?

Rhooo, excuse my bad english.. and thanks for your participation!

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Dec 2003, 20:15

Your English is just fine.

Peter CHamberlain, Hilary Doyle and Thomas L. Jentz made the Encyclopedia a long time ago. Since then, many of the facts in it have been found false.
Thomas L. Jentz and Hilary Doyle are making the Panzer Tracts series only with correct (primary source) information.

Christian

Falou

Post by Falou » 27 Dec 2003, 21:38

Ok, thanks for this very precious information!

But, could you precise the number of Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung produced?
in K.St.N. 716 of 6 March 1940, five vehicles were to be placed in each of two Zerstörungszuge, with each Panzer-Pionier-Kompanie in each Panzer-Division.
So what was the number of this vehicule in each Panzer-Division? And all the Panzer-Division received it?

In definitive, all the photos we can find with the name "Ladungsleger I" are in fact photos of Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung?

Thanks a lot for your precious help!

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 28 Dec 2003, 00:20

100 were produced, with 10 ditributed to each Panzer-Division.

Christian

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 28 Dec 2003, 15:14

Here's a ladungstraeger model in 1/35 scale that I saw in a modelling competition.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 28 Dec 2003, 16:02

These bridgelaying tanks of Pz.Pi.38 are often misidentified as Ladungsträger I guess.

\Christoph

Falou

Post by Falou » 28 Dec 2003, 22:49

@ Christian Ankerstjerne:

One more question about this "Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung". In this term, what is the meaning of (M.G.)? Is it for "Machine Gewehr"?

@ Christoph Awender:

These Panzer are Bridgelaying tanks? Are they not Demolition charge laying tank? Precisely some "Pz.Kpfw.I (M.G.) (Sd.Kfz.101) mit Abwurfvorrichtung"?

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 29 Dec 2003, 01:10

YOu are correct that M.G. is the German abbrevation for machine gun

Christian

WSchneck

Ladungsleger

Post by WSchneck » 09 Nov 2005, 18:38

There is an account of the use of Ladungslegers by C Company (probably 3. Kompanie under Lieutenant Schneider), 59th Armored Engineer Battalion, 8th Panzer Division in "German Armored Engineers Capture Two Bridges" (24 June 1941). This article was a part of "Small Unit Actions during the German Campaign in Russia" (DA PAM 20-269). In part, this account states, "1st and 2nd Platoons, each equipped with five special engineer tanks. These vehicles were Mark II tanks, each armed with a 20-mm gun and a machine gun. At the back of each tank a special boom had been mounted for the purpose of depositing demolition charges and removing obstacles. The seven half-tracks of the 4th Platoon, equipped with frame-type rocket projectors." A Russian fort near one of the bridges (over the Dvina River near Dvinsk) proved particularly troublesome during the operation: "one of the 2d Platoon's special engineer tanks was ordered to back up to the gate and lower a 110-pound HE charge from its boom... The terrific explosion destroyed the gate and stunned the Russians." At another gate, "a special engineer tank had to be brought up with a 110-pound HE charge which was set off with the same result as the first." The German pioneers eventually captured the fort, killing or wounding 70 and capturing another 30 Russians.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”