Dramatic video clip of Panther crew bailing out under fire

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
kobold

Re: Comments On Documentary

Post by kobold » 13 Feb 2004, 09:04

military history writer wrote:Dear Sir,
In this same documentary that you saw, there is an American crewman bailing out of his tank with one of his legs shot off. As he is getting out, another American is attempting to help him and carry him to safety. This documentary was shown on the History Channel. May God Bless-Major Robert A. Lynn, USMCR

I watched the whole video but I don't see that incident on it-sorry.

The programme I have is called Die Schlacht am Rhein - is it the same one you refer too?

dave

military history writer

Clarification

Post by military history writer » 13 Feb 2004, 14:31

Dear Sir,
I'm sure that it is a different one but the narrator does state that the video footage shows a tank battle in Cologne, Germany. May God Bless-Major Robert A. Lynn, USMCR

kobold

Post by kobold » 13 Feb 2004, 20:01

There is no narration on the footage i have only music.

dave

Kurz Patrone

Cologne panther

Post by Kurz Patrone » 14 Feb 2004, 13:00

I have been looking around the net for some time now about this particular incident and i can tell you that whole picture is way more wider,
Im going to put what i found in a particular forum,which sums up pretty much what happened that fateful day.
Im just going to copy and paste so please spare me.

from Axis WWII AFV discussion group:

This is a pretty grizzly bit of footage to watch both for the poor old Sherman crewy with the smoking stump where his lower leg was and to see the Panther crewy get cooked as his vehicle goes up. But "After the Battle" Mag No.104 covers this the incident pretty throughly and adds a few more pieces to the puzzle along with a ton of pics. Though there are a lot of shots around in numerous books of this Panther taken after the incident burnt out in the square in various positions presumably after being shunted around a bit.

Apparently this lone Pz.Rgt.33 Panther either had mechanical trouble or was left behind as a rearguard in the Cathederal square down Marzellan Strasse and was simply "playing Possum". To the approaching US tanks in Komödien Strasse it appeared to be KO'd or abandoned with its gun depressed and turret turned away, before suddenly traversing its gun to their horror which is how it managed to take out the first 2 Shermans at such a close range killing 3 of the crew from at least one in the process.

The Sherman crewman who lost a leg from the Panther hit was apparently the Gunner not the TC according to the article. He was carried by the Bow Gunner Oliver Griffin who had himself also been blown out of his own hatch by the blast but was amazingly uninjured. Thus by elimination the TC was therefore killed along with the driver and loader if 3 men died.

The nearby T26E3/Pershing of Sgt. Early of E Company, 32nd Arm.Rgt., 3.Arm.Div. was called up and gunner Clarence Smoyer fired 3 T33 shots as it rounded the corner which led to the Panther cooking off soon after.

One hit was at the base of the mantlet as the turret was turned to 2 o'clock so if deflected downwards, and it did so above the RHS of the hull roof (ie. above the Bow Gunner). One hole is on the upper RHS hull side and the last below the sponson line (but above the top run of tracks) - these can be seen glowing as 2 orange holes in the footage as the tank begins to burn. So it would either have been the Bow Gunner and/or the Loader who was killed not the driver - who is seen making a hurried getaway.

There is some doubt as to the veracity of the notion that the Pershing's gun was actually gyro-stabilised as the photo caption of this incident in Belton Cooper's otherwise excellent "Death Traps" claims between p.198 & 199 and it wasn't just lucky shots if it was indeed still on the move. This has been debated on other DGs previously incl. AFVN in Dec 2000 ( http://www.mo-money.com/AFV-news/cgi_bi ... ?read=9682 )and many Allied buffs don't think the T26E3s were stabilised as that book implies;

"An M26 Pershing comes around a corner and faces a Panther tank, (not in photo). The Panther expects the M-26 to stop before firing but gunner Clarence Smoyer's tank had a gyro stabilizer which let him fire when moving."

But Hunnicutt seems to think only the 105mm T26E2 and the later M26 has stabilized fire control and not the early 90mm E3, though whether some from this first batch of Zebra Mission ones had it unofficially installed is perhaps possible, as one of the German crewman after capture when asked why they hesitated engaging the Pershing, he apparently replied they was waiting for it to stop before firing which if so, obviously didn't happen...

There are a ton of shots of the Panther around once Cologne was taken as it sat there for months after and became a backdrop for every GI to pose against for a happy snap. Theres also this great colour pic of it burnt out and rusted bright orange taken a few weeks/months later clearly showing the upper hullside hole in a colour pic aircraft book by Jeff Ethell who's title currently escapes me - "Mighty Eighth in Color" or similar maybe??
The driver is clearly seen escaping in the footage and these stills by diving headfirst out his hatch and "ATB 104" states on p.22 that 3 men got out but that 2 others burned to death inside (The TC appears to be one and probably the loader is the second). On page 23 it states that;

"The three escaped crewmen were captured shortly after when a group of 30 German policemen emerged from a shelter beneath the cathedral (the so-called Dom-Bunker), surrendering to the first Americans they saw: four reporters...the Americans found the three Panther crewmen in the emergency aid post below the Dom: Leutnant Barthell Bortr had three leg wounds, Obergefreiter Otto Koenich a burned face and the third man lay dying on his bed."

This in itself is a little odd though as you'd think the Lt. would be the CO who we apparently see killed in the cupola...? So as a guess perhaps he was actually the first to bale out but not caught on film as the camerman ducks back behind the building during the Pershing's shots and its actually the gunner or loader who gets snagged on the way out and is seen perishing in the cupola as it goes up with the one other still trapped inside the turret??

Anyway, hope this adds a little bit more to the big picture on this vehicle...

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel » 14 Feb 2004, 13:15

Good one Kurz :)

Kurz Patrone

Cologne panther

Post by Kurz Patrone » 18 Feb 2004, 14:02

It will be great if someone could post a link
to the whole video,with the shermans crew bailing out
before the panther gets hit.

kobold

Re: Cologne panther

Post by kobold » 18 Feb 2004, 15:12

Kurz Patrone wrote:It will be great if someone could post a link
to the whole video,with the shermans crew bailing out
before the panther gets hit.
Its definatly not on the footage I have, sorry.

dave

karltrowitz

Post by karltrowitz » 18 Feb 2004, 23:11

Yes, i've seen this piece of footage before and as well as hoping the stories of the crew's demise are not true, I think it shows probably THE bravest action actually caught on camera in any war so far. The fact that the gunner remained behind to fire that last shot from the burning Panther while his crew mates were bailing out, shows exactly why the men of the Panzerwaffe were so feared by the Allied troops, both in the West and the East.If any one thing should remind us of the bravery of the Panzer crews, this film should be it.

cuski

Re: Cologne panther

Post by cuski » 19 Feb 2004, 20:00

Kurz Patrone wrote:There is some doubt as to the veracity of the notion that the Pershing's gun was actually gyro-stabilised as the photo caption of this incident in Belton Cooper's otherwise excellent "Death Traps" claims between p.198 & 199 and it wasn't just lucky shots if it was indeed still on the move. This has been debated on other DGs previously incl. AFVN in Dec 2000 ( http://www.mo-money.com/AFV-news/cgi_bi ... ?read=9682 )and many Allied buffs don't think the T26E3s were stabilised as that book implies;
I find assuming that that Pershing was gyrostabilized just because it fired on the move a little bit far fetched. Due to the nature of the terrain (in this case, straight road), i'm sure variations of the gun elevation were minimal given a low enough speed of the Pershing. Not to mention the close range of the engagement, which would make these small variations irrelevant. My 2¢.

stoat17

Post by stoat17 » 20 Feb 2004, 09:27

Am not sure if the history channel offers it still but...

the whole video engagement was on their series "suicide missions- the sherman."

here it shows the battle between the two as well as the american bail out with his leg severed... i wish their was more of these videos around. I remember reading in I think an ambrose book were he tells of war correspondants on omaha during the first waves and how they filmed reels upon reel of film only to be confiscated by government officials and never shown because of the negative impact it would have produced by showing so many dead and wounded. And unlike Capa's negatives that were destroyed these film reels are definatley around and survived.

also suicide missions had a great episode on the Rangers when a battalion engaged an entire Panzer Division somewhere in Southern Italy.
Does anybody remember this?

Panzermacher

Post by Panzermacher » 22 Apr 2007, 05:31

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 22 Apr 2007, 09:25

The Panther is already identified as belonging to Panzerbrigade 106...

Jan-Hendrik

Ome_Joop

Post by Ome_Joop » 22 Apr 2007, 21:39

Dierk has a lot of pics about Koln and this battle:

http://www.anicursor.com/colpicwar.html
http://www.anicursor.com/colpicwar2.html

AlifRafikKhan

Re: Dramatic video clip of Panther crew bailing out under f

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 13 Jun 2012, 13:48

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”