Vielfachwerfer / Reihenwerfer

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Rui

Re: Vielfachwerfer / Reihenwerfer

Post by Rui » 07 May 2011, 19:10

A Waffen-SS 8cm Raketen Vielfachwerfer auf Fahrgestell Maultier.

“Ground Power Nº 17: 8cm Raketen Vielfachwerfer auf Sf (Maultier)”
Link from the site: http://www.portierramaryaire.com/foro/v ... &start=135

Regards,
Rui
My Christmas Book Wishlist:

T. Jentz - "Becker Funnies": All Vehicles Converted by Alfred Becker
Martin Block - Bible with all allocations from H.Za to the units
Martin Block - Bible with all Lage (Pz; StuG; Art & Pak; Berge; Beute; gp Kfz)

Rui

Post by Rui » 07 May 2011, 20:04

Note the extended cabin:

Probably from eBay
Link from the site: http://forum.motag.de/viewtopic.php?p=4 ... d642e147ca

Link from the site: http://www.zvlastnezbrane-galeria1.estr ... werfer/586
This photo also appears on Spielberger, Walter J. Beute-Kraftfahrzeuge und -Panzer der deutschen Wehrmacht.

In the Spielberger book states that this version was made in March 1942 in Waffenfabrik Brünn (Brno, Czech Republic)

According to Chamberlain in Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two, the production of Opel Maultier with armored body began in March of 1943, initially the 15cm Panzerwerfer 42 auf Sf (Sd.Kfz. 4/1).

Spielberg could be wrong in the date? Because in 1942, started the Maultier production and only in 1943 the armored version, the Sd.Kfz. 4/1 (15 cm Panzerwerfer auf Maultier), started.

Spielberg also says the cabin was extended from the "original" Sd.Kfz. 4/1. Only I have see this type of cabin on a vehicle with the 8cm Raketen Vielfachwerfer. The 8cm Raketen Vielfachwerfer auf Fahrgestell Maultier also was mounted on the "original" Sd.Kfz. 4/1 chassis. Was this vehicle, the prototype?

Regards,
Rui

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 31 May 2011, 17:28

German had several thousands GrW 278(f) on hand , why she did not equip all panzergrenadier regiments' regimental units like 21. Pz division ?

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 01 Jun 2011, 07:15

I have ideas that Reihenwerfer was replacement for sd.kfz.251/9 in 21. Pz division as that divison did not have any sd.kfz.251/9. So Reihenwerfer could make up for its lack of firepower. :)

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 07 Oct 2012, 06:56

A summary:

There is to my knowledge no record of any unit other than schnelle Brigade West/21.Pz-Div. being issued with any Somua MCG or MCL with armored ausbau (with the exception of Stug.Abt. 200, when it was transferred from 21.PD to another unit which I do not remember after Normandy, and it took surviving Somua MCL armored ammunition carriers with it). This does not include Somua MCG/MCL halftracks that were employed by the Germans in many units in the early years of the war as they were captured from the French with no or minimal modifications.

REIHENWERFERS: carried two rows of French 8.14 cm Brandt mortars. There was an attachment holding the mortar bombs which allowed the mortar shells to be fired in two salvoes or all at one time. There were two versions:
leichter Reihenwerfer (16 tubes) auf Somua MCG, S 307 (f) - two rows with 8 mortar tubes in each row
schwerer Reihenwerfer (20 tubes) auf Somua MCL, S 303 (f) - two rows with 10 mortar tubes in each row

RAKETEN VIELFACHWERFER: was a rocket launcher with two rows of rails with each row containing 12 rails. Each rail could hold a rocket on top and one on bottom simultaneously, with the possibility of a total of 48 rockets being fired in one salvo.

ALLOCATIONS (based in part on Kortenhaus's history of 21.PD but I have found no documentation supporting that the MCGs were used by the Pz.Gren.Rgts and the MCLs by artillery regiment):
l.Reihenwerfer auf Somua MCG S 307 (f) - 10./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 125 & 10./Pz.Gren Rgt. 192 of 21st Pz.Div. (4 in each company)
s.Reihenwerfer auf Somua MCL S 303 (f) - 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 (2 vehicles)

8-cm-Raketen Vielfachwerfer auf Somua MCL, S 303 (f) - Stab, Stug.Abt. 200 (unknown number but max of 6 per Spielberger)

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 01 Feb 2015, 10:10

A discussion in another thread (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 2#p1918542) turned to the Reihenwerfer & Raketenwerfer/Vielfachwerfer and I decided it was more appropriate to move it over to this thread. Because of continued confusion over not only the allocations of these vehicles but also what exactly they were (as recently revealed in the English translation of Kortenhaus' History of the 21.PD), I am posting some additional info that will at least make clear the differences between the Reihenwerfer and the Raketenwerfer/Vielfachwerfer and will also strive to clarify the question of allocations.

A point of terminology first: I will use Raketenwerfer in this post for brevity’s sake, but both Raketenwerfer and Vielfachwerfer were used. Spielberger uses both “Raketenwerfer” and “Raketen-Vielfachwerfer” and the records of the 21.PD refer to them as “R.v.-Werfer”. Also, for the sake of clarity, I will use the English plural form for Werfer (Werfers) rather than the German except in direct quotes from the German.

All of these vehicles were built on the chassis of the French SOMUA halftrack, of which there were two major forms: the MCG and the MCL. The MCL had a more robust chassis and a more powerful engine and was constructed to tackle heavier jobs than the MCG. There were two forms of Reihenwerfer: one constructed on the MCG chassis (which Spielberger calls the leichte Reihenwerfer) and one constructed on the MCL chassis (schwerer Reihenwerfer). Following is a translation of the appropriate sections of Beute-Kraftfahrzeuge und -Panzer der deutschen Wehrmacht:
***********************************************************************************
"USE OF SOMUA HALF-TRACKS BY THE GERMAN ARMED FORCES

D-specifications, apart from the usual identification numbers, were published for the two base types MCG and MCL:
- Zugkraftwagen S 303 (f), Type MCL
- Zugkraftwagen S 307 (f), Type MCG
Both types were used by Panzerjäger units and artillery as towers for heavy cannons (including the 7.5 cm Pak 40).

Among the equipment for the "Schnelle Brigade West" provided by the Baustab Becker, both SOMUA types played an important role. A majority of these vehicles was armored, however, it must be mentioned that the shortages of materials of those years made a sufficient armoring impossible and the quality of the armor plates as well as their processing left much to be desired. Almost all vehicles converted by Becker had the MCG chassis as base:
- Panzerjäger with 7.5 cm Pak 40 (72 vehicles)
- Armored ammunition carriers (48 vehicles)
- Armored Engineer vehicles with side-mounted portable bridges (no number given)
- Light Reihenwerfer with 16 tubes (36 vehicles)
In the rear part of the vehicle there was a 360˚ swiveling platform on which were arranged 16 grenade launcher tubes (today: mortar tubes) in two rows. The mortar bombs were secured by a holding device at the upper end of the tube and fired either individually or in salvos. The official designation read "Reihenwerfer-Schießgerät RG 16". The elevation amounted to 40 to 90 degrees.

The MCL chassis was used for:
-Heavy Reihenwerfer with 20 tubes, likewise using French 8.14 cm Mortars 278 (f). (16 vehicles)
Allocated to the heavy weapons companies. The first presentation of the device was in 1943 in Hillersleben.
- Raketenwerfer with 48 rockets (6 vehicles)
The 8 cm rocket launcher was a mobile launching pad for 48 rockets in two layers one above the other each with 12 launcher rails. Total movement in traverse 360 degrees by handwheel operation. Werfer elevation 45 degrees. The programmed fire sequence (firing order) permitted the firing of all 48 rockets in a single salvo.

Ammunition:
- Wing-stabilized 8 cm rockets. Smoke and high explosive shells (the rockets could also be shot by airplanes).

Hitler ordered full-scale tests with this weapons system in March 1944. It was intended to be used particularly by units of the Waffen-SS.

Weight of the werfer (with two salvos of ammunition) 6850 kg
Weight of the werfer (without ammunition) 6200 kg

The length of the launching rails was 1860 mm, the maximum range 5300 m. In the vehicle were carried:
- 232 high-explosive projectiles
- 56 smoke projectiles

The weapon system was a reproduction of the Soviet "Katyusha" (Stalin organ) and was originally intended for the Panzerwerfer 42 (armored version of the MAULTIER).

Full and partially-armored carrier vehicles received a modified cooling and exhaust system since they were built lower compared to the original vehicles because of armoring and thus the target surface was reduced. After the war one of these armored half-track vehicles was equipped by the French army with a 15 cm Panzerwerfer 42 (10-tubed) of German design. It remained an experiment only.
********************************************************************************************************
So, the Reihenwerfers were essentially multiple mortar carriers and the Raketenwerfers were multiple rocket carriers.

Summary of source material:
As Alan McCoubrey mentions in the thread that I linked above, Kortenhaus' information regarding these vehicles is conflicting. On Page 13 of the German version, he states that Baustab Becker produced "12 Reihenwerfer mit Zgkw. SOMUA" (on SOMUA chassis)" (while
Spielberger - and Spielberger apparently obtained his info directly from Becker as he cites the "Alfred Becker private archive" as one of his sources - states that there were 36 light Reihenwerfers (MCG) and 16 heavy Reihenwerfers (MCL) created by Baustab Becker). Then, on Pg. 15 Kortenhaus states that the 10.Kompanie of both Pz.-Gren.Rgt. 125 & 192 were equipped with "vier Reihenwerfer, je 24 Rohren 8,14 cm" (four Reihenwerfers, each with 24 8.14 cm mortar tubes). Neither type of Reihenwerfer had 24 tubes. The information on Pg 586,however, is in line with Spielberger: "10.Werfer-Kompanie mit vier Reihenwerfer 8,14 cm (16 Rohre) auf SOMUA MCG (f)" where "16 Rohre" is the 16 mortar tubes, the correct number for the light Reihenwerfer.

As for the Raketenwerfer, Kortenhaus (Pg. 16 & 587) indicates that these compose the 10.Batterie of Pz.-Art.-Rgt. 155, but gets the chassis info incorrect on pg. 587:
Pg. 16: 10. Raketen-Batterie - vier Raketenwerfer, 48 Rohre (8,14 cm)
Pg. 587: 10. Batterie mit zwei Unic P107(f) (sic) Mehrfachwerfer (should be SOMUA MCL)
The number of vehicles present also does not match (Pg. 10 says vier (four) and Pg. 587 says zwei (two).)

The English translation gets it even worse. Not only did the translator repeat some of Kortenhaus’s mistakes, but he compounds them by translating “Reihenwerfer” as “multiple rocket launchers”:
Pg 26: 12 multiple rocket launchers on SOMUA prime mover - compare Kortenhaus Pg 13 above
Pg 28: 10. Kompanie with four multiple-rocket launchers, 24 tubes each (8.14 cm) - compare Kortenhaus Pg 15 above
Pg. 441: 10th Werfer-Kompanie with four Reihenwerfer (multiple-rocket launchers) 8.14 cm (16 tube) on SOMUA MCG (f) - compare with Kortenhaus Pg 586 above

The only history of the 21.PD neu that was widely available from 2002 to 2007 was the Editions Heimdal book by Jean-Claude Perrigault 21.Panzer-Division. On Pg 218-219 he lays out the OOB of the division which for the most part matches Kortenhaus’, but his wording for 10./Pz.-Art.Rgt. 155 is different (2 Reihenwerfer So à 24 ramps). While he uses the term Reihenwerfer, it is clear that he means Raketenwerfers as, on Pg 225, he describes the demonstration of the Raketenwerfer on the coast at Lion-sur-Mer/Rivabella on 30 May, 44: “Il s’agit de quatre engins de la 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 (III.Abteilung) dont les châssis français “Unic” (sic) portent chacun 24 rampes lance-fusées russes type “Katioucha” (Orgues de Staline).” [It concerned four vehicles of the 10. /Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 (III.Abteilung) on French “Unic” chassis, each carrying 24 rails for Russian Katyusha-type rockets (Stalin Organs).” Perrigault cites the information on Pg 218-219 to Alain Verwicht

Alain Verwicht (Panzer Voran! No. 6), Pg. 30 & 31, indicates that the 10. Kompanie of both Pz.-Gren.-Rgt. 125 & 192 was the “schwere Werferkompanie (Sfl.) armée de quatre 8,14 cm schwerer (sic) Reihenwerfer (16 Rohre) auf SOMUA MCG (f)…” He does not refer to the artillery in this issue, but in Panzer Voran! No. 12, Pg 26-29 he includes a section on the Raketenwerfers in which he states that the 10./Pz.-Art.Rgt. 155 was composed of two Raketenwerfers. He also correctly indicates the chassis for the Raketenwerfer as SOMUA, not Unic P 107.

Allocations:
We must first make the caveat that the Gliederungen for the 21.PD are, as are those for many other Divisions, problematical. The Reihenwerfers are included but the Raketenwerfers are not. Both existed and were used by 21.PD as photographic and other documentary evidence proves. For this reason it is necessary to support the Gliederungen with independent sources.

Evidence related to the Reihenwerfers:
Since the Reihenwerfer was a “home-made” weapon, there is no standard symbol for one. Because of this, a special symbol for the Reihenwerfer is indicated at the top, left-hand corner of the ones that I have copies of (July 43 & June, July & August 1944):

The initial Gliederung for 21.PD dated 15.7.43 which was included with Anlage 1 zu OKH Chef H Rüst und BdE AHA Ia(I) Nr. 3515/43 g.Kdos, Ausbau der schnellen Brigade West zu einer Pz.Div. contains the same symbol for Reihenwerfer and, in addition, specifies that they are 16 tube (Werfer) version. In this initial setup, there are 4 allocated to the 4. and 8. Coy each of Pz.-Gren.Rgt. 125 (192 having not been created yet) and 4 are allocated to the StuG Abteilung. There was no 10./Pz.-Art.-Rgt. 155 at this time yet:

Almost one year later, by June 1944, this symbol is used, as expected, for the 10. Kompanie of both Pz.-Gren.Rgt. 125 & 192 and in the case of the two Pz.Gren.Rgt., it is stated again, in writing below, that each have “4 Reihenw So”. The Reihenwerfer symbol is represented once again on the Gliederungen, but in the place where Kortenhaus, Perrigault, Verwicht et al. have all before stated that should contain 2 (or 4) Raketenwerfers, in the 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155:

As mentioned above, the initial Gliederung shows that 4 Reihenwerfers were included in the Stab of StuG-Abt. 200. In his book Fire Brigades, Kamen Nevenkin states that by 11.10.43, the 5./StuG.Abt. 200 was equipped with Reihenwerfers and this Batterie was integrated into Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 as the 10.Batterie. So, the Reihenwerfers that are shown as part of the Stab in the initial Gliederung became the 5.Batterie/StuG-Abt. 200 (or, as is hinted to as a possibility in a map shown below, the Reihenwerfers remained as part of the Stab and a separate 5.Batterie was set up later) which later became 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 per Oberkommando des Heeres GenStdH/Org.Abt. Nr.I/4632/43. g.Kdos date 11.10.43 (from BAMA RH-10/23 as kindly informed by Mr. Nevenkin and the document kindly provided by a friend):
(Translation: The 5th (Reihenwerfer) battery of Sturmgesch.Abt.200 is organically incorporated as the 10. battery of the Pz.Art.Rgt.).

This order shows that at least at one point in its existence, the 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 was composed of Reihenwerfers. Zetterling also support this Batterie being composed of Reihenwerfers.

I think there is no debate over the allocations of the Reihenwerfers to the Panzergrenadier-Regiments so I will make no comment about that except that I have stated in prior posts that the light Reihenwerfers (16 tubes, MCG chassis) were allocated to the 10. Kompanie of each Pz.-Gren.Rgt. and that the heavy Reihenwerfers were allocated to the 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 (and possibly to StuG.Abt. 200). I cannot now recall on which evidence that I based those prior statements, so I am hesitant to consider that a proven fact at this point.

Evidence related to the Raketenwerfers:
While there is no mention either way of the Raketenwerfers in the Gliederungen, there is reliable evidence that a platoon of Raketenwerfers were included in the Stab of StuG-Abt. 200. The following photo shows a SOMUA MCL Raketenwerfer being inspected by Rommel very shortly before D-Day. One can clearly see the tactical sign for a StuG unit with the “St” for Stab inside:

Also, the officer on the left is Major Becker, the CO of StuG-Abt. 200, but one can also argue that Becker was present not as the CO of StuG-Abt. 200, but rather as the head of Baustab Becker, the one who oversaw the design and construction of the weapons being demonstrated.

There is also documentary evidence (that I am not at liberty to share at this time) of this Zug within the Stab of StuG-Abt. 200 long after D-Day. The number of vehicles in this Zug, however, is not indicated in any source that i have currently. In the Wochenschau clip showing Raketenwerfers firing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLds95LdAA, at 7:50) it appears that there are at least 3 firing. Since only six were made, this would possibly allow for another Zug of three, but I am more inclined to think that any that were not allocated to this Zug were held as replacements. It does not, however, prove that two or three Raketenwerfers were not, indeed, allocated elsewhere, but further circumstantial evidence, presented next, indicates that all 6 produced were possibly retained in one Zug.

This circumstantial evidence is available in some maps of StuG-Abt. 200 locations during Operation Goodwood, which were taken from Maj. Becker’s diary, as published in Over the Battlefield, Operation Goodwood by Ian Daglish. On one map there is a symbol which I have never seen before (A.) and another one matching the symbol for Reihenwerfer (B.) as used on the Gliederungen. The map indicates that there were 6 of the “unknown” half-tracked vehicle and 2 of the Reihenwerfer:

Unfortunately, if there is a key for the symbols , they were not included in the book. I have been unable to obtain a copy of Becker’s diary (I know someone who has it but they refuse to share it). A pity, because this diary would probably clear up many questions. There are several possibilities for the mystery vehicles. According to the Gliederung, Stug.-Abt. 200 did have six 2 cm AA guns as part of the Stab (presumably on Unic P107 chassis), but the symbol employed is not even close to that for an SP AA. There were also a total of 6 Raketenwerfers produced by Baustab Becker according to Spielberger, so another possibility is that this symbol represents the Raketenwerfers. Since all of the other symbols on the map are standard symbols, it is probable that the angled, one-pronged arrow is, like that for the Reihenwerfer, a symbol that was created by Becker to represent the Raketenwerfer as there was no standard symbol available (which presumes that the Raketenwerfer was considered distinct from the Nebelwerfer).

In summary, apart from suspect secondary sources, there are no indications that Raketenwerfers were ever allocated to 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155, while we do have primary documentation that the 5./StuG.Abt. 200, which was composed of Reihenwerfers was transferred to Pz.Art.Abt. 155 to become the 10.Batterie. There is also photographic and other documentary evidence indicating that the Raketenwerfers were integrated into the Stab of StuG.Abt. 200. While this evidence is not absolutely conclusive, I believe that the case for the 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 being equipped with Reihenwerfers is much stronger than it being equipped with Raketenwerfers.

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 01 Feb 2015, 13:48

Sam, Great research, I love it when this sort of thing is done here.
Three things about the primary source showing the Reihenwerfer in "5th Battery" of StuG Abt 200 and I apologise if I've missed them being explained already ;
1. The date of the document is October 1943.
2. The map you have for Goodwood, and a photograph of a 105mm armed Hotchkiss in the collections of both IWM and The Tank Museum, clearly show that by July 1944 the 5th Battery was a normal gun equipped unit.
3. The document refers to the Reihenwerfer while the photograph (is there a date for that by the way, I can't find it in BA) clearly shows a Vielfachwerfer.

Isn't it odd that the half-track symbols on the Goodwood map have been drawn in mirror image ? Is it possible that the odd sign with the 6 beside it is an incomplete Signals lightning flash ? 200 had six signals Unics didn't it ? It also had six Flak equipped Unics but I can't make that Symbol into a Flak sign even when I try .
I would disagree with you however on the other symbol. The symbol used on the Gliederung to depict the Reihenwerfer is three conventional Mortar Symbols drawn side by side creating those three diagonal lines while the symbol of the Goodwood map is a rectangle drawn at an angle with lines in it making little boxes. I have no idea what it refers to but I don't see it as the Reihenwerfer symbol from the Gliederung. To me it looks like the "Fuel" Symbol drawn on its side .
Last edited by Alanmccoubrey on 01 Feb 2015, 14:16, edited 4 times in total.
Alan

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 01 Feb 2015, 14:07

Just found the Vielfachwerfr /Rommel/Becker series on the BA, it is dated 30th May 1844 !
Alan

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 02 Feb 2015, 05:11

At some point after 5.(Reihenwerfer)/StuG.Abt. 200 was transferred to Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 to become the 10.Batterie of the latter on 11.10.43, the creation of a new 5./StuG.Abt. 200 was commenced, but not with Reihenwerfers again, but, rather, with 7,5 cm Pak 40 auf Ho & 10,5 cm le FH 16 auf Ho like Batteries 1-4.

I suppose the symbol in Box A. could be a mistake, an incomplete Signals symbol, but a correct one is shown just above Box B (fully tracked, possibly indicating a Großer Funk- und Befehlspanzer 38H) and the angles are quite different. I don't believe the one in Box A. to be a mistake.

brano

Post by brano » 02 Feb 2015, 23:28

Possibly 8cm prototype in Slovak National Uprising???

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/tit ... 4-1/t/9004
http://www.ioh.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t ... start=1150
http://www.ebay.de
Marian Uhrin - Armoured Force Regiment, 1944, Museum of the Slovak National Uprising, year 2012 ISBN: 978-80-89514-14-4

Datacom and location listed on the back of the photo:
Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia, 09/17/1944

If datacom and localization right could be a vehicle SS-Kampfgruppe Schill, mentioned by the written source cited above. It is interesting that the vehicle has an extended cab, which had first (prototype?) Machines. It is known that such a vehicle cabin had a rocket launcher with 8 cm (see. Figure below - a combination of the extended cab and 15 cm rocket launcher I have not seen, but it is of course possible). Since the equipment is identifiable, it is possible that this vehicle has a 8 cm rocket launcher (?). To support this hypothesis and clearly identifiable folding bench on the side of the body to the level of storage compartments. This bench can be seen in version 8 cm with a rocket launcher. Conversely, the presence of absence of support for 8 cm launcher, which was located on the roof of the driver's cabin. The vehicle has an abnormally positioned license plate, which assembled the blinds, not the sun. It is possible that this is a prototype version of 8 cm ???
Attachments
knetfred-13_142 (1).jpg

Rui

Post by Rui » 02 Feb 2015, 23:43

brano wrote:Possibly 8cm prototype in Slovak National Uprising???

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/tit ... 4-1/t/9004
http://www.ioh.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t ... start=1150
http://www.ebay.de
Marian Uhrin - Armoured Force Regiment, 1944, Museum of the Slovak National Uprising, year 2012 ISBN: 978-80-89514-14-4

Datacom and location listed on the back of the photo:
Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia, 09/17/1944

If datacom and localization right could be a vehicle SS-Kampfgruppe Schill, mentioned by the written source cited above. It is interesting that the vehicle has an extended cab, which had first (prototype?) Machines. It is known that such a vehicle cabin had a rocket launcher with 8 cm (see. Figure below - a combination of the extended cab and 15 cm rocket launcher I have not seen, but it is of course possible). Since the equipment is identifiable, it is possible that this vehicle has a 8 cm rocket launcher (?). To support this hypothesis and clearly identifiable folding bench on the side of the body to the level of storage compartments. This bench can be seen in version 8 cm with a rocket launcher. Conversely, the presence of absence of support for 8 cm launcher, which was located on the roof of the driver's cabin. The vehicle has an abnormally positioned license plate, which assembled the blinds, not the sun. It is possible that this is a prototype version of 8 cm ???

Hi, possibly the same vehicle, at the factory photo. 8-)
Rui wrote:Note the extended cabin:

Probably from eBay
Link from the site: http://forum.motag.de/viewtopic.php?p=4 ... d642e147ca

Link from the site: http://www.zvlastnezbrane-galeria1.estr ... werfer/586
This photo also appears on Spielberger, Walter J. Beute-Kraftfahrzeuge und -Panzer der deutschen Wehrmacht.

In the Spielberger book states that this version was made in March 1942 in Waffenfabrik Brünn (Brno, Czech Republic)

According to Chamberlain in Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two, the production of Opel Maultier with armored body began in March of 1943, initially the 15cm Panzerwerfer 42 auf Sf (Sd.Kfz. 4/1).

Spielberg could be wrong in the date? Because in 1942, started the Maultier production and only in 1943 the armored version, the Sd.Kfz. 4/1 (15 cm Panzerwerfer auf Maultier), started.

Spielberg also says the cabin was extended from the "original" Sd.Kfz. 4/1. Only I have see this type of cabin on a vehicle with the 8cm Raketen Vielfachwerfer. The 8cm Raketen Vielfachwerfer auf Fahrgestell Maultier also was mounted on the "original" Sd.Kfz. 4/1 chassis. Was this vehicle, the prototype?

Regards,
Rui

Rui

Post by Rui » 03 Feb 2015, 01:34

Good article, Sam. As usual. :thumbsup:

In the map of the Op. Goodwood, what I can interpret is the following:

StuG.Abt.200 Command
6 x half-tracked vehicles => Probably the 6 Fu. P107 mentioned by Martin Block in Panzerjäger-Abteilung 200
2 x half-tracked vehicles => Probably the 2 Somua HT with the 8cm Rocket Launchers (BM-8-48)
Armored SP Signals => Probably the Großer Funk- und Befehlspanzer 38 H (f)?
Armored SP Abt. Command => Probably the Großer Funk- und Befehlspanzer 38 H (f)?

3/200
1x Platoon (zug) with armored SP vehicle
2 x Platoons (zugs) with 3 armored SP AT vehicles each
1 x Platoon (zug) with 4 armored SP artillery vehicles

4/200

5/200

Does anybody knows what was:
=> The armored SP vehicle in each company of the StuG.Abt.200? Could be the Großer Funk- und Befehlspanzer 38 H (f)?

=> The armored SP Signals vehicle in Armored SP Signals of the StuG.Abt.200? Could be the Großer Funk- und Befehlspanzer 38 H (f)?

=> The armored SP Abt. Command vehicle in Armored SP Abt. Command of the StuG.Abt.200? Could be the Großer Funk- und Befehlspanzer 38 H (f)?

In Jentz's Panzer Tracts No.10: Artillerie Selbstfahrlafetten, shows that were converted only 24 Geschützpanzer le.F.H. 16 und 18 Hotchkiss. With 4 of that vehicle, it's means that, 6 x platoons (zugs) could be equipped with that vehicle. And 3 x 7.5cm Pak40 auf Ho in each platoon, 6 in each 5 companies, given a total of 30 SP AT on Hotchkiss vehicles, plus 1 in Stabkompanie.

Rui

Post by Rui » 24 Jan 2017, 01:20

Sam Wren wrote:REIHENWERFERS: carried two rows of French 8.14 cm Brandt mortars. There was an attachment holding the mortar bombs which allowed the mortar shells to be fired in two salvoes or all at one time. There were two versions:
leichter Reihenwerfer (16 tubes) auf Somua MCG, S 307 (f) - two rows with 8 mortar tubes in each row
schwerer Reihenwerfer (20 tubes) auf Somua MCL, S 303 (f) - two rows with 10 mortar tubes in each row

RAKETEN VIELFACHWERFER: was a rocket launcher with two rows of rails with each row containing 12 rails. Each rail could hold a rocket on top and one on bottom simultaneously, with the possibility of a total of 48 rockets being fired in one salvo.

ALLOCATIONS (based in part on Kortenhaus's history of 21.PD but I have found no documentation supporting that the MCGs were used by the Pz.Gren.Rgts and the MCLs by artillery regiment):
l.Reihenwerfer auf Somua MCG S 307 (f) - 10./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 125 & 10./Pz.Gren Rgt. 192 of 21st Pz.Div. (4 in each company)
s.Reihenwerfer auf Somua MCL S 303 (f) - 10./Pz.Art.Rgt. 155 (2 vehicles)

8-cm-Raketen Vielfachwerfer auf Somua MCL, S 303 (f) - Stab, Stug.Abt. 200 (unknown number but max of 6 per Spielberger)
Hi Sam, what do you think about this image?
Spearhead: France 1944 wrote:Image
This chart is from 1 May, 1944, 7AOK Kriegtagbuch 1.5.44, National Archives,
Captured German Documents section 312, roll 1566.
Link from the site: http://www.spearhead1944.com/gerpg/21ger_rec.htm

Tactical symbol of a half-tracked multi-mortar launcher in:
a) Division Stab = ?
b) Pz.Gren. Rgt. 125 = 4
c) Pz.Gren. Rgt. 192 = 4
d) Pz.Art.Rgt.155 = ?

(The equipment numbers are given by the source site)

According to the after battle report of Edgar Feuchtinger to the allies ("MS # A-871 - 21st Panzer Division in Combat against American Troops in France and Germany"), the 21. P.D. had:

("...") = citation from the after battle report

4 = 4./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 125 ("self-propelled armored troop carrier with four heavy rocket projectors")
4 = 8./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 125 ("self-propelled armored troop carrier with four heavy rocket projectors")
4 = 10./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 125 ("multi-barreled shell mortars with 24 muzzles each")

4 = 4./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 192 ("self-propelled armored troop carrier with four heavy rocket projectors")
4 = 8./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 192 ("self-propelled armored troop carrier with four heavy rocket projectors")
4 = 10./Pz.Gren.Rgt. 192 ("four multi-barreled shell mortars with 24 muzzles each")

4 = 10./Pz.Art.Regt. 155 ("rocket-launchers of 48 muzzles on armored self-propelled (cal 8)")

4 = 5./StuG.Abt. 200 ("multi-barreled shell-mortars like those of the 125th and 192nd Panzer Grenadier Regiment's")

My personal conclusion:
I presume these totals are for Reihenwerfers:
16 = ("self-propelled armored troop carrier with four heavy rocket projectors")
12 = ("multi-barreled shell mortars with 24 muzzles each")

And this are the Raketenwerfers
4 = ("rocket-launchers of 48 muzzles on armored self-propelled (cal 8)")

I also think that, the 2 other Raketenwerfers were in the Stab of the StuG.Abt. 200...

Sources:
Edgar Feuchtinger. MS # A-871 - 21st Panzer Division in Combat against American Troops in France and Germany

Regards,
Rui

ju55dk

Reihenwerfer.

Post by ju55dk » 19 Oct 2021, 16:08

16 mortars mounted on french vehicle 1943.
16 Morter.jpg
BAMA
Junker

Yoozername

Re: Reihenwerfer.

Post by Yoozername » 19 Oct 2021, 21:10

I always wondered if they were fired at the same time (electrically), or some ripple fire. Anyway, this might be interesting...

https://blog.sturmpanzer.com/reihenwerf ... tion-kstn/

http://downloads.sturmpanzer.com/Docume ... N_1139.pdf

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”