armor protection against british 2 lber and french 47 mm

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
M.Rausch

Post by M.Rausch » 11 Jul 2005, 15:31

First, thank you for your kind words to David and me :)
AFAIK, there was no difference between the PzGr 40 for the PaK and the KwK and the production data on your homepage suggests the same.
The only difference was, that different primers were used. Like for all other ammunition types for the 3.7 cm Pak and 3.7 cm Kw.K., the ammo could be exchanged if the primer was exchanged. The 3.7 cm Pak ammunition had the primers Zündschraube C/13 m. Kd., C/13 n.A. or C/13 n.A. St., the 3.7 cm Kw.K had the Zündschraube C/23.
So I think it would be wrong to assume that 71,700 produced were for the KwK exclusively. As I read it, the document actually says they were for KwK as well as PaK?
You were completely right, if the already published sources were the only I have. I have also the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 production sheets for the 3.7 cm Kw.K. and 3.7 cm Pak for the whole war, where the monthly production was listed separately for both guns. These sheets will be published as next in my article and show, that the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 production for the 3.7 cm Pak started officially in autumn 1940, several months after the Battle of France had ended. The production number of 71,700 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 is listed as production during June 1940 for the 3.7 cm Kw.K. on these sheets.

Another interesting point is that the OKW list of ammunition consumption during the Battle of France tells for the 3.7 cm Kw.K. the fired rounds for the 3.7 cm Pzgr., 3.7 cm Sprgr. and 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40. For the 3.7 cm Pak only the usage of the 3.7 cm Pzgr and 3.7 cm Sprgr. is listed (source: war diary of the supreme command of the Wehrmacht (OKW) 1940-1941 volume 2, publishing house Bernard & Graefe, publisher Percy E. Schramm, arranged and described by Hans-Adolf Jacobsen, ISBN 3-7637-5933-6, page 1110, tabular description of the appendix 3 of OKH/GenStdH/GenQu/Abt. I Qu 2 (III), Nr. I/58/42 g.Kdos., 5th January 1942)

But there is also another possibility, that both of us are right.

It was a really simple task to convert the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 for the 3.7 cm Kw.K. for usage by the 3.7 cm Pak. So I am right if I say the production of the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 in June 1940 was only for the Kw.K., but you can be also right when we assume, that some of these rounds were simply converted. I only lack a primary source till now, proving that the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 was fired by the 3.7 cm Pak during the Battle of France. I hesitate to use anything other than primary sources for this, since the usage of secondary sources like books can bring the problems illustrated already in this thread.

When my family and other time consuming works like my book project are allowing it, I'll publish these documents and the article will show in its final version the whole German Pzgr. 40 production during WW2.

If you are interested in details before or even better, if you have original sources helping me with my book, please contact me under the email address on my website: [email protected].

Regards, Michael

Markus Becker

Post by Markus Becker » 11 Jul 2005, 18:29

Michael, David,

when you mention the book of Thomas Jentz, you are talking about "Die deutsche Panzertruppe. Bd.1 und Bd.2"?

Regards, Markus

cbo

Post by cbo » 11 Jul 2005, 20:39

M.Rausch wrote: But there is also another possibility, that both of us are right.

It was a really simple task to convert the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 for the 3.7 cm Kw.K. for usage by the 3.7 cm Pak. So I am right if I say the production of the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 in June 1940 was only for the Kw.K., but you can be also right when we assume, that some of these rounds were simply converted. I only lack a primary source till now, proving that the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 was fired by the 3.7 cm Pak during the Battle of France. I hesitate to use anything other than primary sources for this, since the usage of secondary sources like books can bring the problems illustrated already in this thread.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'd agree that primary sources are preferable, but given that the reference in Strauss is quite specific as to the date and delivery of the PzGr. 40, I thought it worth mentioning. On a side note, the same section of the book also states that PzJgAbt 38 had no HE for their 3,7cm PaK in the campaign in Poland and only recieved this type of ammunition later.

Looking forward to the next part of your article!

Claus B

M.Rausch

Post by M.Rausch » 11 Jul 2005, 22:54

@ Markus Becker

You are correct, these are the books we talk about.

@ cbo

I see Strauss also as strong indication. But having a collection of over 100,000 document pages for the Heer and Luftwaffe with about 35,000 of them already scanned in, I am simply not satisfied until I find a primary source as proof :) I have seen too many nonsense published in books during the last 60 years, with the Bf 109 F-4 performance data a primary example of lack of good, detailed and accurate research.

There is a strong indication of a "late" start of production of the 3.7 cm Sprgr. The ammunition service manuals for the 3.7 cm Pak from January 1938 and 3.7 cm Kw.K. from April 1939 contain only the 3.7 cm Pzgr. and its training variant, but no Sprgr. The productions sheets hold the data for the sum of the 3.7 cm Pzgr and Sprgr. production. But I luckily got the "cover pages" (Deckblätter) for the Kw.K. manual and according to these the 3.7 cm Sprgr. 18 was introduced also in April 1940, the 3.7 cm Sprgr. 40 in February 1941.

When I had a look on these production sheets I could also reread the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 production sheets for 1940. I made a mistake of a few months. Officially the production of the 3.7 cm Pzgr. 40 for the 3.7 cm Pak started in July 1940 with 59,700 rounds produced.

Regards, Michael

Pachy

Post by Pachy » 12 Jul 2005, 18:22

cbo wrote:As for the Char B cooling intake being penetrated by the 3,7cm PaK at Stonne, I thought that was a well established fact after Frieser published his book?
As I pointed out above, either there is an error in the report, or they were not aiming at the cooling grille. Unfortunately the known photographs of the wrecks are not very helpful.

BTW, are we sure they were using a 3,7 cm PaK? It's not explicitely mentioned in Frieser's book.

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 12 Jul 2005, 20:45

Pachy wrote:BTW, are we sure they were using a 3,7 cm PaK? It's not explicitely mentioned in Frieser's book.
Frieser has a diagram of IRGD's organisation which states 14. Kp 12 PAK 3,7cm on p. 201, dated 10 May 1940.

On p. 260 is the description of battle from the AAR, stating clearly that three Char B Chinon, Gaillac, and Hautvilliers, were destroyed by Hindelang's platoon. The credit for trying to destroy by firing on the colling grille is given to Obergefreiter Giesemann, gun commander of the left gun, which is destroyed shortly after, leaving Hindelang's platoon with only one gun.

Source is always the AAR previously cited by David.

All the best

Andreas

Pachy

Post by Pachy » 12 Jul 2005, 22:35

Andreas wrote:Frieser has a diagram of IRGD's organisation which states 14. Kp 12 PAK 3,7cm on p. 201, dated 10 May 1940.
Speaking theorically, they could have used something else five days later. There are numerous examples of French equipment being used almost immediately after its capture, AT guns in particular.

It's interesting to notice that the report mentions that the German gun crews were shooting at the right flank of the B1s, and indeed photographs from Antoine Minser's site show what looks like an impact on the right side of n°354 Chinon.

Of course, the cooling grille is on the left flank. But this could be an error in the report given the direction of the attack and the location of the gun crew in the village.

It's unfortunate that none of the three B1s have been photographed on their left side.

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 13 Jul 2005, 09:36

Hello,

What also happened in several cases is that repeated hits damaged the big hatch/door (on the right of the tank), which could not be closed anymore. I have read one or two accounts where one crew member had to hold it closed or where a German shell entered the tank via this opening. In that case it would clearly be a "black square" that is targeted, unlike the air intake shutter which has no reason to be black at all. This is no exhaust shutter, only an intake for fresh air. It could possibly appear black in some light conditions perhaps but it is not a black square.

Regards,

David

cbo

Post by cbo » 13 Jul 2005, 09:44

Andreas wrote: On p. 260 is the description of battle from the AAR, stating clearly that three Char B Chinon, Gaillac, and Hautvilliers, were destroyed by Hindelang's platoon. The credit for trying to destroy by firing on the colling grille is given to Obergefreiter Giesemann, gun commander of the left gun, which is destroyed shortly after, leaving Hindelang's platoon with only one gun.
As I read it, it does not specifically say that the three French tanks were destroyed by Hindelangs guns. It describes the situation where Giesemann spots the air-intake grille and fires his gun at it, resulting a spurt of flame from the tank. Then both guns are directed to fire on this spot on the tank: "Die beiden Geschütze feuern jetzt nur noch auf diese kleinen Vierecke in der Flanke der 32-tonner." It seems to me they might still be talking about the same, single tank.
Then one of the remaining two German guns are destroyed and Hindelang withdraws the other. The quote from the AAR then ends: "Die drei 32-tonner sind erledigt" - "The three 32-ton [tanks] are destroyed."
It does not seem impossible that some of these tanks might have been knocked out by tank fire from the village as is suggested on Minsers homepage.

In any case, I dont think it can be solved unless you get the full report as Frieser only quotes it in part.

Claus B

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 13 Jul 2005, 09:53

cbo wrote:As I read it, it does not specifically say that the three French tanks were destroyed by Hindelangs guns. It describes the situation where Giesemann spots the air-intake grille and fires his gun at it, resulting a spurt of flame from the tank. Then both guns are directed to fire on this spot on the tank: "Die beiden Geschütze feuern jetzt nur noch auf diese kleinen Vierecke in der Flanke der 32-tonner." It seems to me they might still be talking about the same, single tank.
Claus - I agree someone should go down to the archives, but the passage is clearly talking plural. 'diese kleinen Vierecke in der Flanke der 32-tonner' is plural, it refers to at least two tanks, if it referred to one tank it would read 'das kleine Viereck in der Flanke des 32-tonners'. From reading the whole passage without trying to overanalyse it (it was an AAR, not a literary criticism project ;) ), it sounds reasonable to me to infer that all three tanks were destroyed by Hindelang's crew. YMMV.

Unfortunately I am away from my library from now until Monday, but maybe someone can post the whole passage in German?

All the best

Andreas

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 13 Jul 2005, 12:23

Hello,

What is sure is that the overall situation on this precise point of the front in the Mont-Dieu / Mont-Damion area, 15 km south of Sedan (where the combats will last from 15th to 25th May) is rather intricate on 15th May. Many different units are involved it is not a simple duel between 3.7cm PaK and 3 Renault B1 bis tanks.

In this area (Mont-Dieu and Mont-Damion hilly woods, Stonne, Le Chesne, Tanny etc.) Guderian engages at first the "Grossdeutschland" motorized infantry regiment, the 10.PzD and engineer elements from the 1.PzD. During the following days he engages elements of the 2.ID (mot) and finally the 16.ID and 24.ID. The presence of elements of both the 1.PzD and the 10.PzD is also confirmed by the Germans POWs captured by the French troops.

During the 2 first days there is a total theoretical strength of about 350 German AFVs in the area of Stonne. The 10.PzD has roughly 275 tanks. The Panzerjäger Abteilung 521 (18 Panzerjäger I) is attached to the 10.PzD and the "Grossdeutschland" regiment includes Sturmgeschütz-Batterie 640 (6 Sturmgeschütze III Ausf.A). Auflklärung Abteilung (AA) 90 (10.PzD) has a strength of 56 armored cars. Later engaged the AA 2 (2.ID mot.) contains 26 armored cars and the 16.ID has an armored car platoon of 3 armored cars, of which 2 are armed. The Germans troops had also strong support from the Luftwaffe and the town will be bombed several times. To defend the Mont-Dieu area, the French troops include the 3e DCR (reduced to about 130 tanks instead of 160 tanks), the 3e DIM and several reconnaissance groups but they are incomplete on 15th May. The 3e DIM is only arriving in the area.

Early in the morning of the 15th May 1940, the GD infantry regiment supported by tanks of the 10.PzD assaults the town of Stonne, which is defended by the first battalion of the 67e RI and several troops from the 6e GRDI. The French position is attacked on the front and on the flanks. The French are pulled back and 7 German AFVs are reported to be knocked out (e.g. Panzer IV n°711 is destroyed by the 25mm AT gun from Sergeant Durand but mainly due to the intervention of the 3/49e BCC with its B1bis tanks).

At 5h30, the 1st company of the 45e BCC (Hotchkiss H39 tanks) moves from the Grandes-Armoises to Stonne and they eliminate several German positions. At 7h30 they are next to the town but 2 Hotchkiss tanks are lost and they move back.

The 3rd company of the 49e BCC (Renault B1bis tanks) carries on. They move into the town and the Germans have to evacuate the town. At 9h30 the French tanks are deployed on the southern edge of the town. Since no French infantry has followed the heavy tanks, the town is later occupied again by the Germans.

A renewed attack is launched at 10h30 with several tanks from the 45e BCC (Hotchkiss), 49e BCC (Renault B1bis) and one platoon of the 4e BCC (FCM36) supported by 1 infantry company of the 51e RI. The town is captured and again in French hands. The combats are very intense and the infantry is fighting house by house. During their approach, the French tanks are already engaged by German AT guns (not from AT company of the GD IR in that case ... other AT guns ? infantry guns ? AA guns ? tanks ?).
The 14th AT company of the GD infantry regiment (Lieutenant Beck-Broichsitter) is engaged later. This lieutenant describes a very confuse situation (in French in "Les combats du Mont-Dieu" by Gérard Giuliano), a German tank abandonned in a ditch, German guns hidden on a hill behind him and firing on the French troops, they hide behind a house to avoid a French tank which moves very closely etc.
Three 3.7cm PaK are deployed and engage 6 French tanks. The losses among the German infantry and gunners are increasing under the French fire. Then they report having engaged about 10 French tanks on a large front. The duel will last about 1 hour.
Several German infantry companies move gradually back. Lieutenant Beck-Broichsitter reports then the help of German "canons automoteurs" in the French version, which means self-propelled guns. Does that mean the StuG III of the Sturmgeschütz-Batterie 640 included in the "Grossdeutschland" IR, the Panzerjäger I of the Panzerjäger Abteilung 521 (10.PzD) or other elements ? He also reports that 4 infantry guns are deployed in support (7.5cm leIG or 15.0cm siG ?) to engage the French troops. The German losses are increasing, several AT guns are scattered with splinters but continue to fire. Until yet they do not report having destroyed a French tank.

At this moment the AT platoon of Hindelang is attacked by 3 Renault B1bis tanks. Corporal in Chief Giesemann targets an area on the 'right' side of one tanks and fire burst out of the tank. Two Pak (what about the third ? already lost ?) then target this area on the French tanks. Quickly a direct hit destroys one of the two German AT guns. Hindelang moves then back with its remaining AT gun and the 3 heavy tanks are said out of combat. The French troops take again the town of Stonne.

3 Squadrons of Ju-87 'Stuka' bomb then the town. This action is followed by heavy shelling of the German artillery. At 12h30 the French troops move temporarily back under this intense fire. About 3 hours later, B1bis tanks of the 49e BCC occupy the town again and the defense is now in the hand of elements of the 67e RI. The French tank move back and the town is only defended by infantry and AT guns.
During the evening a strong German attack takes again the town, the troops of the 67e RI are deployed on the southern edge of the town. The GD infantry regiment was supported by all the infantry companies of the 10.PzD.

The 14th AT company of the GD infantry regiment had following losses at the end of the day : 13 KIA, 16 WIA, 12 vehicles destroyed and 6 AT guns destroyed (50%). They claim the destruction of 33 French tanks on that day but the real number of knocked out French AFVs is about 3 times smaller.

The presence of Panzer IV of the 10.PzD and of Panzerjäger I is confirmed in the town and in the vicinity by various photographies of German wrecks, several of them being still abandoned and photographied in 1941.

Possession of the town on 15th May (according to Frieser - German time) :
8h00 : German
9h00 : French
9h30 : German
10h30 : French
10h45 : German
12h00 : French
17h30 : German

At the end of the 15th May the 3e DIM is now rather complete to face the German troops.

- 16th May :
7h30 : French
17h00 : German

The 16th May will see the involvement of 2 companies of the 41e BCC (and the action of Billotte and Malaguti) supporting the action of the 3rd battalion of the 51e RI. The attack is preceeded by an artillery preparation of 45 min made by the 242e RA (155mm C).

The combats will rather be intense. In two days (15-16th May) the GD infantry regiment alone will loose 103 KIA, 439 WIA and 27 MIA (569 men). The GD and the 10.PzD are then replaced by the 16.ID in front of Stonne (beside the 24.ID).

- 16-17th May night : Stonne remained unoccupied

- 17th May :
9h00 : German
11h00 : French
14h30 : German
15h00 : French
16h30 : German
17h00 : French
17h45 : German

Regards,

David
Last edited by David Lehmann on 13 Jul 2005, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 13 Jul 2005, 12:32

David Lehmann wrote:At this moment the AT platoon of Hindelang is attacked by 3 Renault B1bis tanks. Corporal in Chief Giesemann targets an area on the 'right' side of one tanks and fire burst out of the tank. Two Pak (what about the third ? already lost ?) then target this area on the French tanks. Quickly a direct hit destroys one of the two German AT guns. Hindelang moves then back with its remaining AT gun and the 3 heavy tanks are said out of combat. The French troops take again the town of Stonne.
David

IIRC the third one was lost almost immediately.

I agree it is entirely possible that somebody else destroyed these three French tanks with different weapons, but to me at least the AAR is making the claim that it was Hindelang's platoon that did it. It may well have been wrong regarding that claim, that would not be the first or the last time an AAR was in error either.

All the best

Andreas

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 13 Jul 2005, 12:45

Andreas,

I did not wrote or meant they did not, I just tried to show a more general view of the situation. It was not a simple 'duel' but an intense battle.

Regards,

David

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 13 Jul 2005, 12:48

David Lehmann wrote:Andreas,

I did not wrote or meant they did not, I just tried to show a more general view of the situation. It was not a simple 'duel' but an intense battle.

Regards,

David
David

I know - should have made that clearer, it was more a response to Claus' post, not yours. Thanks for taking the time to broaden the picture here.

All the best

Andreas

David Lehmann

Post by David Lehmann » 13 Jul 2005, 15:05

Hello,

Colonel Gérard Saint Martin wrote that on the 15th May in the area of Stonne the German AT elements had been reinforced by several French 47mm SA37 guns (page 205 of his book). This gun is clearly able to knock out a Renault B1bis. I am not saying that in that precise case the German gunners were manning such a gun but the presence of these guns (and the reported ammo used during the battle of France prove that they used them), the presence of tanks, self-propelled guns, infantry guns etc. make the picture perhaps more intricate than at the first look.

More detailed action on the 16th May 1940 in Stonne :

On 16th May 1940, at 01h30, the 41e BCC is ordered to attack Stonne with its 1st and 3rd companies.
The 41e BCC was created on 16th November 1939 with troops of the tank park n°511 and Renault B1bis tanks. The battalion will be integrated in the 3e DCR, the last French armoured division formed before the beginning of the combats, on 20th March 1940. The battalion itself will have 6 months of intense training thanks to a good core of active officers and NCOs. The training at the company and battalion level is then rather good but the unit had only one training at the divisional scale on 9th May 1940.

Commander : commandant Malaguti
Staff commander : capitaine Cornet
Intelligence officer : lieutenant De Witasse
Signal officer : lieutenant Sery

1st tank company : capitaine Billotte
2nd tank company : capitaine Gasc
3rd tank company : capitaine Delepierre
Headquarters / Reserve company : capitaine Simo

During May/June 1940 all the tanks will be lost and the battalion will have 43 KIA (8 officers, 14 NCOs, 21 corporals and men).
The battalion will be engaged without interruption. The main engagements are in the Mont-Dieu area (15 km south of Sedan) during May, around Perthes and Rethel south of the Aisne River in a counter-attack against the 1.PzD during June and many smaller sacrifice missions (defense of bridges at Pogny etc.). The last tank of the battalion is lost on 15th June 1940.

The battalion has been awarded 8 Legion of Honour medals, 22 Military medals and mentioned in dispatches many times (64 times by the regiment, 34 times by the brigade, 43 times by the divisions, 13 times by the Army and 29 times by the Army Corps).

At 3h00, the 1/41e BCC and the 3/41e BCC are moving to the departure line in the woods of Fay. The Renault B1bis tanks will open the way to the III/51e RI of the 3e DIM (3rd battalion of the 51st infantry regiment). The infantry will be accompanied by Hotchkiss H39 tanks from the 2/45e BCC.

The troops could not perform a reconnaissance of the area before the attack and the intelligence about the enemy is very limited. The 41e BCC is not aware if the town is currently in French or German hands when it starts moving.

The B1bis tanks will advance in an inversed V formation. The B1bis "Vienne" of commandant Malaguti is leading the attack.

On his left the 1/41e BCC commanded by capitaine Billotte with 7 tanks :
• B1bis "Eure" (capitaine Billotte)
• B1bis "Lot" (lieutenant Delalande)
• B1bis "Vauquois" (lieutenant Bourgeois)
• B1bis "Volnay" (lieutenant Pignot)
• B1bis "Tarn" (lieutenant Rabin)
• B1bis "Beaune" (lieutenant Adelmans)
• B1bis "Sambre" (lieutenant Bramant)

On his right the 3/41e BCC commanded by capitaine Delepierre with 7 tanks :
• B1bis "Somme" (capitaine Delepierre)
• B1bis "Doubs" (lieutenant Bricart)
• B1bis "Meursault" (sous-lieutenant Guyhur)
• B1bis "Trépail" (lieutenant Dive)
• B1bis "Muscadet" (sous-lieutenant Soret)
• B1bis "Moselle" (aspirant Léonard)
• B1bis "Vertus" (lieutenant Hachet)

At 4h30 the 5th group of the 242e RATTT (12 155mm C guns) makes a 45 minutes artillery preparation on Stonne, the 'Pain de Sucre' hill (the dominating hill east of Stonne) and the south edges of the Grande Côte woods.

The woody hills of the Mont-Dieu area are dominating the plain 15 km south of Sedan. The town of Stonne and its hill called the "Pain de Sucre" (335m high) are located between the Mont-Dieu and the Mont-Damion. At Stonne the German advance could be stopped. From Stonne a French counter-attack could be launched on the flank of the German columns. The conquest of Stonne is therefore of importance for both German and the French armies on 15-16th May.

At 5h15, the 1/41e BCC encounters German elements. These troops are from the "Grossdeutschland" infantry regiment, supported by 2 tanks and an AT defense organized in depth. The 2 German tanks are quickly destroyed. Commandant Malaguti himself said about the Germans of the elite regiment : "beautiful warriors, they fired at us until we were at 100m of them. Then they ran away, fall down and simulated death or stayed in their foxholes until we killed them".

The 3/41e BCC reaches its first objective after 12 minutes and destroys the water tower of Stonne on which the Germans had deployed MGs. The French tank company stops and fires on the edges of Stonne to neutralize MGs and AT guns.

The 1/41e BCC outflanks Stonne by the north-west but capitaine Billotte is hampered by several cliffs and important slopes. He has to move to the right, arriving in Stonne itself (from the north-west) before the battalion commander. The B1bis "Eure" arrives nose to nose with 13 German tanks of the Pz.Rgt.8 (10.PzD) in column in the main street of the town. The first tank is only at 30m. Billotte orders the driver (sergent Durupt) to target the last tank with the 75mm SA35 hull gun while he destroyed the first tank with the 47mm SA35 turret gun. The first shots destroyed simultaneously the first and the last German tank of the column, the others could hardly move. In several minutes, the B1bis "Eure" advances in the street and neutralize the 11 remaining tanks while numerous shells are hitting the armor of the B1bis without penetrating it. 2 Panzer IV and 11 Panzer III are reported as being destroyed. Billotte crosses the whole town and destroys also 2 3.7cm PaK next to the 'Pain de Sucre'. The armor of the B1bis revealed later that it is scattered with 140 impacts and gouges, none of the projectiles penetrated the armor according to the war diary of the 41e BCC. One can see here a kind of small 'Villers Bocage'.

Malaguti entered the main street (from the south-west) a few minutes after Billotte and fired also at all the possible targets he could spot but none of the German tanks aligned in the street reacted anymore. Malaguti moves south, moves in two other streets and finally exits the town by the south. He spots 2 B1bis wrecks ("Hautvillers" and "Gaillac") from the 49e BCC (attack of the 15th May) and joins the 10th company of the 51e RI.

Billotte contacts the battalion commander (Malaguti) by radio to report that the woods north of Stonne are full of MGs and AT guns firing at him. He moves back to Stonne.

Delepierre, the commander of the 3/41e BCC contacts Malaguti by radio to know if he can carry on with its progression but he is ordered to wait for the French artillery. 10 minutes later, the French artillery lengthens its fire and the 3/41e BCC moves to its next objective. The company arrives in a very rough ground with many gullies and cliffs hidden by dense vegetation. The dangers are hidden and the visual contact between the tanks is made difficult. The B1bis "Somme" is isolated and attacked at 100m by 2 3.7cm PaK. In 2 minutes the armor is scattered by a dozen of impacts. None penetrated the armor but the turret is blocked and the optics of the observation copula are destroyed. One German AT gun is destroyed by a HE shell and the B1bis moves on. Due to a hidden gully the B1bis falls over and lies on the flank. The tank is abandoned, put on fire by the crew. The men manage to reach the French lines again.

On 16th May, the following B1bis tanks involved in the French attack have been lost during or will be abandoned after the attack :
• B1bis "Somme" : immobilized on the flank and scuttled by the crew
• B1bis "Vertus" : MIA (single tank lost possibly due to enemy fire ?)
• B1bis "Meursault" : first immobilized in a gully and against a big tree. It is towed by the B1bis "Moselle" and B1bis "Trépail". The tank will later be scuttled south of the Grandes Armoises due to important mechanical breakdown
• B1bis "Trépail" : the tank experiences engine mechanical breakdown and will be later scuttled

At 5h30 the III/51e RI (10th and 11th companies), supported by the 2/45e BCC (Hotchkiss H39 tanks), begins to move towards Stonne. They encounter German troops which have joined again their foxholes after the passage of the French heavy tanks. Around 7h00 the French infantry controls the town of Stonne.

At 10h00 and during more than half an hour the town is heavily bombarded by the German dive bombers. They are followed until 12h00 by the German artillery. At 15h00 the French tanks (41e BCC and 45e BCC) are ordered to move back to be used in other areas than the town of Stonne itself. At the end of the afternoon, the French infantry moves on the edges of the town because of the heavy German shelling. Reinforcements are arriving (III/5e RICMS from the 6e DIC) and north-west in the woods the German assaults have been defeated by the 67e RI.

Still on 16th May, around 17h00, the B1bis "Riquewihr" (lieutenant Doumecq) from the 49e BCC attacked towards Stonne and encountered a German infantry column, which fired at the tank with infantry weapons including anti-tank rifles, without effect. The B1bis crushed some German troops and pushed into the town defended by the Schützen Regiment 64. When the soldiers saw the bloody tracks of the tank they fled in panic and abandoned Stonne which remained unoccupied for the night. After that action Doumecq was nicknamed 'the butcher of Stonne' by his comrades. The B1bis "Riquewihr" will be the last one of the 3e DCR, abandoned on 18th June 1940 north-east of Dijon.

Sources :
• "Blitzkrieg à l’Ouest, Mai-Juin 40" (Jean-Paul Pallud)
• "Fallait-il sauver le char Bayard ?" (René Boly)
• "L'Arme Blindée Française (volume 1) : Mai-juin 1940 ! Les blindés français dans la tourmente" (Gérard Saint-Martin)
• "Le mythe de la guerre-éclair – la campagne de l'Ouest de 1940" (Karl-Heinz Frieser)
• "Les combats du Mont-Dieu – Mai 1940" (Gérard Giuliano)
• Testimonies of various veterans (René Tuffet, Roger Avignon) including several from the 41e BCC which were used in the book of René Boly.
• War diary of the 41e BCC

Regards,

David
Attachments
51e RI.jpg
51e RI.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
67e RI.jpg
67e RI.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
41e BCC_insignia.JPG
41e BCC_insignia.JPG (34.73 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”