Panzers stopped by unconventional means

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
PF

Panzers stopped by unconventional means

Post by PF » 07 Oct 2005, 14:12

In Ladious Fargo's Bio of General Patton-it is reported that during the Invasion of Sicily that a
panzer tank that was firing on US forces was blown up after a direct hit by a US Navy gun. (For
reference only).
In at least one instance German Tanks could be stopped by indirect means--I remember reading of a account where a large calibur bomb dropped by an ariplane directly in front of tank causing it to topple over into the shell hole upside down-crew killed. (Also for reference only)
Any other nonconvential ways of stopping German tanks? (Besides anti tank guns such as the
Piat/Bazooka/or anti tank mines)
Last edited by PF on 09 Oct 2005, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Panzerkopf

Post by Panzerkopf » 07 Oct 2005, 16:33

The russians used Molotov cocktails thrown on the engine decks of german tanks to stop them. It has been recorded that they had also trained dogs which they strapped with high explosives and then sent them towards german tanks (early tanks, not the latter heavy ones) where they got under the nose of the tank and the explosives detonated.

But for REALLY unconventional methods of stopping a Tiger, you'd better watch Saving Private Ryan. The paras use socks (!!!), grease and explosives to create their own "sticky bombs" which they stick to the Tiger's running gear. The explosion destroys the track (remember that the Tiger's track under certain circumstances could withstand directs hits or antitank mine explosions) and then the heroic sergeant fires his Thomson through the wide open armored vision slit of the tank driver. Meanwhile the paras pry open the commanders hatch (using their guns for leverage) and fire their M1s inside the turret before throwing in a coupl eof grenades. I guess Spielberg had no idea that the driver's vision slit was protected by 2 inches of armoured glass and that a commander's hatch would've been locked if the commander decided to proceed buttoned up. VERY good stuff, simply hilarious.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 07 Oct 2005, 16:38

Here's few cases from earlier discussions:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ht=satchel

Cheers/Juha

Blistex

Post by Blistex » 09 Oct 2005, 07:03

Panzerkopf wrote:Meanwhile the paras pry open the commanders hatch (using their guns for leverage) and fire their M1s inside the turret before throwing in a coupl eof grenades.
Also would there have been any tigers in 1944 with old style hatches? The one shown in the movie had a hatch that flipped up insted of slid open.

bryson109

Post by bryson109 » 09 Oct 2005, 18:06

Panzerkopf wrote: It has been recorded that they had also trained dogs which they strapped with high explosives and then sent them towards german tanks.
It was the Russians who used dogs, but gave up on the idea since the dogs could not tell German tanks from Russian tanks.

bryson109

Post by bryson109 » 09 Oct 2005, 20:08

Acolyte

Post by Acolyte » 09 Oct 2005, 20:59

bryson109 wrote:Unusual way of stoping a T-34
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=123760
That event might as well have been staged by German propagandists.

Rich Yankowski

Post by Rich Yankowski » 09 Oct 2005, 21:40

Bilstex,if you really look at the 'Tiger" in SPR,you'll notice that the running gear and tracks are from a T-34 variant,so why would it make sense for the special effects people who made the tank to get the proper commander's cupola.
I talked to a Russian that served in Stalingrad who stated that they also dropped their cocktails directly into the commander's hatch,since the hatches were often left open.I suppose the hatches were left open so that the commander could get a better impression of what was happening around the tank.Plus having the hatch fully or partially open would allow fumes inside the tank to be vented,as when the main armament fired often.

I read in several books one way that German tanks were put out of service,but it wasn't in actual battle.This occured in the winter on the Ost front,when the Germans piled hay around their tanks to help keep out the effects of the bitter cold.While it kept the tanks(and vital fluids) warm,it was also a welcome home for Russian mice.These same Russian mice had the habit of eating the insulation off the tank's wiring,so that when the time came to start the vehicle,nothing happened.

Rich Yankowski

Post by Rich Yankowski » 09 Oct 2005, 21:53

During the Russian Finnish War,there were stories of Finnish soldiers sking up to Russian tanks while they were slowly moving,and actually removing the bolts that held on the wheels,causing the tracks to come off.

PF

????

Post by PF » 12 Oct 2005, 16:22

Remove Bolts from Moving tanks??????
WELDED BOLTS?????

Ome_Joop

Post by Ome_Joop » 12 Oct 2005, 20:47

I've read about russian tankers driving their tank into the enemy tank...Doesn't seem like a normal way to hit the enemy :|

PF

Post by PF » 13 Oct 2005, 19:43

To last post-
Alleged WW 2 USSR soldier saying:
"If you can't move-become a fortress.
If you out of ammo-become a hero."
Likewise USSR AIrmen would ram a EA-if they ran out of ammo-they never gave up !!!!

MadderCat

Post by MadderCat » 13 Oct 2005, 19:52

@Rich Yankowski
i recall reading that the finns used logs which they threw in the running gear

MadderCat

taipohh

Post by taipohh » 13 Oct 2005, 20:53

i read from some book that in france the german tanks motor covers were open,and the french would emerge from a foxhole and cut the fuel line with bayonet..

Rich Yankowski

Post by Rich Yankowski » 14 Oct 2005, 00:27

PF,it's been years since I read that,and I can't remember what book I read it in,but when I find it again I'll post title and author.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”