ID of this tracked vehicle.

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Sander D

ID of this tracked vehicle.

Post by Sander D » 07 Oct 2005, 18:30

Hi all

I came a cros this picture a while a go on E-bay,but i don't have a clue what kind of vehicle it is.
I have posted it on the ( panzers and other vehicles forum http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=86985 ),but nobody can give a clear awnser.

Well it could be a some sort of german "Grosstraktor" , like some one said in that post ,but i heaven't seen anny pictures of this type of grosstraktor,also the track configuration won't fit .

So my next thoughts where that it could be a beute vehicle,have some one of you seen this type of track configuration on a vehicle?????????

Image([img])

Regards

Sander

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 08 Oct 2005, 07:53

This isn't it, but there does seem to be a family resemblance.

From http://wwi-cookup.com/afv/german/a7v/mfa7v02.jpg

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 17 Oct 2005, 17:42

Grease Spot wrote :
This isn't it, but there does seem to be a family resemblance
Maybe after 15 beers,

It's a big mistery vehicle whit no ID yet.

Cheers

Sander

medieval dudes

an idea

Post by medieval dudes » 19 Oct 2005, 18:24

Grease_Spot wrote:This isn't it, but there does seem to be a family resemblance.
You are right Grease-Spot... just look at the tracks and the same principle of small wheels is used by both models: very small wheels in a large number close together :idea:. So could the vehicle Sander posted be the inside of the A7V - Wotan without the armor plates covering it???!!?!

Greg :D

Ace31

Re: an idea

Post by Ace31 » 19 Oct 2005, 18:47

medieval dudes wrote: :idea:. So could the vehicle Sander posted be the inside of the A7V - Wotan without the armor plates covering it???!!?!

I don't think so... where are, for example, the side-ports for tank entrance/exit, or for the use of the machine-guns? It seems only a one-piece plate...

And the trakcs type is different: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/ww1/A7V-diagram.jpg

MadderCat

Post by MadderCat » 20 Oct 2005, 09:26

reminds me a little of an LVT but the upper parts and upper tracks won't fit

MadderCat

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 20 Oct 2005, 13:19

Ace31 wrote:
medieval dudes wrote: :idea:. So could the vehicle Sander posted be the inside of the A7V - Wotan without the armor plates covering it???!!?!

I don't think so... where are, for example, the side-ports for tank entrance/exit, or for the use of the machine-guns? It seems only a one-piece plate...

And the trakcs type is different: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/ww1/A7V-diagram.jpg
Right. And I wasn't trying to suggest that it was only a modification of the earlier vehicle. Only that it might have been a product of the same designers, or at least drawn inspiration from the earlier design.

The thing that I find confusing is trying to guess the nationality of the men in the photo. In part, they look ver German somehow to me, but they also could be English. On the other hand, the wheeled vehicle at the edge of the pic definitely looks British. But that means little because either vehicle could be captured. Very odd...

:?

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 20 Oct 2005, 13:58

Again, not a perfect match, but tantalizingly close. From the Missing Lynx gallery.

There are other versions of the LTV that are a closer match, but still none are exactly the one in the original pic.

medieval dudes

Post by medieval dudes » 20 Oct 2005, 19:38

Grease_Spot wrote:
Ace31 wrote:

Right. And I wasn't trying to suggest that it was only a modification of the earlier vehicle. Only that it might have been a product of the same designers, or at least drawn inspiration from the earlier design.

The thing that I find confusing is trying to guess the nationality of the men in the photo. In part, they look ver German somehow to me, but they also could be English. On the other hand, the wheeled vehicle at the edge of the pic definitely looks British. But that means little because either vehicle could be captured. Very odd...

:?
Ok I understand... Your point Ace with the machine gun confirms it all I guess :x ... It really is a hard vehicle to ID..... :x :x :x :( :( :( :(

Thanks for the correction guys

Gregory :D

mietek

Post by mietek » 21 Oct 2005, 13:03

Hi.

Actually yesterday I found also this picture at Taki's webpage:
http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/newfolder/LVT.JPG

mietek

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 21 Oct 2005, 17:35

Hi all,

I have no ID yet,but it ain't a LVT or a version of it.

The angle of the tracks of the ID vehicle won't fit ,just like MadderCat.
Also the ID vehicle has 12/13 wheels in the straid part of the lower track while the LVT has 8 pair,also the LVT has Diagonal curved(early version till LVT-1 ) or W shaped Grouser (the others ones ),you can't see the on the ID one.

The picture below come from AMTRACS in action, armour number 31 squadron/signal

Cheers

Sander

Matt Gibbs

Country

Post by Matt Gibbs » 28 Nov 2005, 02:06

How do we know it is even German? the back end of the wheeled vehicle in the background looks very much like the rear of a Morris Commercial Quad 25pdr Gun Tractor to me.
Kind regards
M Gibbs

Michael Emrys

Re: Country

Post by Michael Emrys » 28 Nov 2005, 02:30

Matt Gibbs wrote:How do we know it is even German? the back end of the wheeled vehicle in the background looks very much like the rear of a Morris Commercial Quad 25pdr Gun Tractor to me.
That thought has been bothering me as well. Sometimes I look at the soldiers and they look German and other times they look English (could that guy on top of the vehicle, the one farthest from the camera, be wearing a beret?). But the fact that the vehicle in the background could be a Quad is not in itself conclusive, since it could be captured equipment, as could the mystery vehicle for that matter.

More and more though, I incline toward thinking that the picture was taken on a British base somewhere, that it is either an experimental prototype or a limited production item, and that possibly the picture was taken after the war.

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 28 Nov 2005, 11:05

Hiya GS;
Yeah I wondered about the captured vehicles park take on things later on. However, as you say the chap on the vehicle just may be wearing a beret, these came in with the Tank Corps pre war though so it doesn't mean its post war, but it could be. The side caps also were of course an OR's thing here in the UK, and most places! This doesn't help. I do wonder about the perhaps "shiny" buttons that the guy standing in fron of the vehicles seems to be wearing, I don't believe I've seen anything like that on German uniform photos, of Tank crews.
Its a shame we haven't got a closer view of a better copy of the photo to look at, a lot of detail may be lost in the scan or it may be a poorly focussed pic in the first place!
Kind regards
M Gibbs

Sander D

Post by Sander D » 28 Nov 2005, 18:16

Hi guy's,

Searching through my files on beute stuff i came a cross this picture

It are german soldiers, the soldier sitting on the right of the beute Morris Commercial Quad 25pdr Gun Tractor is the same one who is the farthest away on the the unindentified vehicle.
Also the soldier standing on the left, stands on the other picture on the right with his jacket on.

Image)[img]

So it still be a mistery vehicle........

Cheers

Sander

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”