Berlin-Lichterfelde R-19, R20 and R-70

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Berlin-Lichterfelde R-19, R20 and R-70

Post by Jeff Leach » 11 Oct 2014, 15:24

Does anyone know if the Berlin-Lichterfelde material

R-19 Central Bureau of uniformed police
R-20 Plenipotentiary for anti-partisan action
R-70 (SU) police units and SS in the USSR

are among the filmed NARA material? If under what reference is it located?

I found these reference in C. Ingrao's, "The SS Dirlewanger Brigade" and they sound quite interesting. I am interested in the operations of the German Police in occupied Russian.

nickterry

Re: Berlin-Lichterfelde R-19, R20 and R-70

Post by nickterry » 17 Dec 2014, 16:49

Jeff Leach wrote:Does anyone know if the Berlin-Lichterfelde material

R-19 Central Bureau of uniformed police
R-20 Plenipotentiary for anti-partisan action
R-70 (SU) police units and SS in the USSR

are among the filmed NARA material? If under what reference is it located?

I found these reference in C. Ingrao's, "The SS Dirlewanger Brigade" and they sound quite interesting. I am interested in the operations of the German Police in occupied Russian.
Hi Jeff,

most of the records in those Bundesarchiv signatures are not in NARA T175. Indeed, R70 consists almost entirely of copies from among other places, BA-MA Freiburg, Soviet and Polish archives. R19 and R20 do have some small overlaps, but most of the files do not match with the EAP's on NARA reels.

I would suggest checking USHMM's archival guide to see how much they have now microfiched from the BA for these signatures - 10 years ago they had not, but I believe they might have now added some materials from R19 and R20. It's also worth looking through their catalogue to see the holdings from Poland etc for different Orpo and SS commands, as a great many files given Bundesarchiv codes originated elsewhere, for example the BA R58 series for the RSHA has added in new file codes for collections originally archived in Warsaw.

Depending on the regions that interest you, there are other places to look, too. The Bundesarchiv Ostministerium files - R6 - as well as documents held by YIVO contain an extensive collection of SSPF Weissruthenien Ereignismeldungen - actually reports every few days listing partisan actions and clashes with troops. Both BA R6 and YIVO materials are microfiched/microfilmed at USHMM. They also have the Kommandostab RFSS records from Prague, which are essential for 1941 across the whole rear.

Return to “Archives”