The New 'Free NARA Rolls' List

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
guardsman78

Re: The New 'Free NARA Rolls' List

Post by guardsman78 » 27 Nov 2016, 21:03

Hello,
as a newcomer too, i can't send PM yet. Tried to download RH-10 "Führer-Begleit-Division" and "Führer-Grenadier-Division" but it doesnt work.
My e-mail: [email protected]
It would be nice if you could send it to me.
Thanks!

tzt4

Post by tzt4 » 03 Dec 2016, 01:02

Hello John,
I've discovered that T311 R140 (Armeegruppe G) on the FTP site is Incomplete. It has the KTB War Journal entries (file 75141/1 and /2) but is lacking much of the Anlagen (much of file 75141/3 [1-31 July 44] and all of /4 [1-31 Aug 44]). A less critical thing is that it is missing all the frames with the introductory index cards to the sections in the roll.

Mori

Post by Mori » 03 Dec 2016, 15:30

tzt4 wrote:Hello John,
I've discovered that T311 R140 (Armeegruppe G) on the FTP site is Incomplete. It has the KTB War Journal entries (file 75141/1 and /2) but is lacking much of the Anlagen (much of file 75141/3 [1-31 July 44] and all of /4 [1-31 Aug 44]). A less critical thing is that it is missing all the frames with the introductory index cards to the sections in the roll.
This remark should probably go to the other thread ;)

Some of JC's rolls are incomplete, and a few are also mislabelled. That's not many of the 1700+ rolls on the FTP server, but it's always annoying to come across one such roll. Telling John is a bit risky because at some point his reaction was to remove whatever was on the server rather than labelling it "incomplete" or adding the missing part.

Also, almost of the rolls he proposes are under low-resolution format, which is most of the time fine for text but never for maps. The few rolls that are high-resolution are probably left so by mistake.

Radar

Post by Radar » 10 Dec 2016, 09:37

Hallo Mori,
Don't forget, John is doing us a favor by making all these rolls available for free. I really appreciate that service.
If you have a need for high resolution or being not satisfied what you get, contact NARA and buy them. But they don’t give you the information for free. Don’t forget to put them afterwards in the net for free too.

Mori

Post by Mori » 11 Dec 2016, 22:13

Radar wrote:Hallo Mori,
Don't forget, John is doing us a favor by making all these rolls available for free. I really appreciate that service.
If you have a need for high resolution or being not satisfied what you get, contact NARA and buy them. But they don’t give you the information for free. Don’t forget to put them afterwards in the net for free too.
I think I have proven the ability to share material without asking for anything in return :)

About John: I believe his FTP was a major change for the whole community. Many people realized that their coveted collections could become valueless in a split second, and some even changed their behavior by sharing rather than concealing data.

I know someone has to pay (in dollars or in time) to get copies of archives. But I don't see why a given archive should be paid more than once. I think it's problematic for the person who made the initial effort to insist in fellow scholars wasting their time/money in doing the same. It's much more "profitable" for each scholar to get different archives, then to share.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 12 Dec 2016, 10:01

Mori wrote: About John: I believe his FTP was a major change for the whole community. Many people realized that their coveted collections could become valueless in a split second, and some even changed their behavior by sharing rather than concealing data.
People don't seem to realise that John's major contribution to the community is the OKW maps he copies and posted for free along with some of the aerial photographs he had on his site. All the T-series NARA rolls (and some others) you see for free were not his idea. SturmPanzer and John had a couple of NARA rolls available on their sites. This inspired me to make some larger posting of NARA T-series material here on Axis Forums. I gave John permission to copy any of the material posted on Axis Forums and put it on his site. Behind the scenes there was a lot more material was being traded privately. John got a copy of all this material and published it on his FTP without asking anyone if it was okey. Now lots of people were pissed off and John being an abrasive person just made matters worse. This free list on Axis Forums hasn't pleased everyone either so there are a number of people that are none too happy with me either. People who purchase NARA material are now more carefull about who they share the material with usually clearly state that the material is not to be shared.
Mori wrote:I know someone has to pay (in dollars or in time) to get copies of archives. But I don't see why a given archive should be paid more than once. I think it's problematic for the person who made the initial effort to insist in fellow scholars wasting their time/money in doing the same. It's much more "profitable" for each scholar to get different archives, then to share.
I believe in this 100%. Archival material should be shared with everyone. It benefits everyone who is interested in the subject material. That said some, some consideration for the person who purchases the material has to be made.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 12 Dec 2016, 11:28

Well, being one of those that started to connect researchers at to motivate them to exchange their material in digital form I am very pleased what had happened over the last decade :milsmile:

Jan-Hendrik

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 12 Dec 2016, 14:42

Radar wrote:Don't forget, John is doing us a favor by making all these rolls available for free.
Indeed. Unfortunately, some people tend to take free services for granted. But the fact is, John did a great service to many researchers (myself included), saving them a lot of money and time.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 12 Dec 2016, 16:31

...not about to talk about time& money. If I remember ordering the first rolls....to gather a bunch of people, to select what we want to order, to make them digital 8O

Jan-Hendrik

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 12 Dec 2016, 22:06

I have spend many, many hours scanning microfilms by means of a very slow working Primefilm 1800i ...

Mori

Post by Mori » 12 Dec 2016, 22:37

Jeff Leach wrote:This free list on Axis Forums hasn't pleased everyone either so there are a number of people that are none too happy with me either. People who purchase NARA material are now more carefull about who they share the material with usually clearly state that the material is not to be shared.
For a time, I had this concern too. But I wouldn't hear of new rolls every week if such was the usual behavior.

Mori

Post by Mori » 12 Dec 2016, 22:38

Oh, and in case you did not yet know about this site, 84 rolls are available here: http://znaci.net/NARA/T316.php?unit=909

Walter Jorg

Post by Walter Jorg » 18 Dec 2016, 13:05

Hello,
Looking NARA microfilm T78 rolls 606, 608 and 613
Please help.

Richard Hedrick

Post by Richard Hedrick » 18 Dec 2016, 17:06

I would like to present an alternate view to the concept of cart blanch sharing. Over the years I have ordered well over $10K worth of material from NARA and have come to realize that sharing material actually ends up costing me more money. It has been my experience that I am able to acquire needed or desired material only from NARA (and BAMA) and private trades. (The free stuff available I either have or do not need or want.) If I make all my material available for free then I would not have unique material available to trade for other material that I need and would have to purchase yet again. I suspect there are others that have come to the same conclusion. Probably quicker than I did. :)

Also the financial expense is not the only cost incurred, the expense in time is much greater as I know many others can attest to. While the files that Jeff provides for download are a great contribution to the community his real gift to us is his willingness to donate his time in something that in no way benefits his own personal research.

I know we like to vilify the non-sharers but this issue is far from being black and white.

Cheers,
Richard

Mori

Post by Mori » 20 Dec 2016, 11:51

Walter Jorg wrote:Hello,
Looking NARA microfilm T78 rolls 606, 608 and 613
Please help.
Never seen them anywhere... Seems you need to order them to NARA.

Return to “Archives”