Bad news from TsAMO (Wehrmacht-files)

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Rostislav

Bad news from TsAMO (Wehrmacht-files)

Post by Rostislav » 29 Oct 2007, 11:26

I was refused in access to documents 45 infantry divisions which are stored in TsAMO (Podolsk).
The reason - these documents are not translated on Russian and consequently access to them is forbidden for all researchers.
Employees of archival management consider, that as the text of these documents it is unknown, it can contain the classified information.
I consider, that these documents will be never translated on Russian (the archive does not have on it forces and desire), therefore if rules of access to these documents will not change researchers never can work with them.

However I wish to notice:
1) Is various variants which can to help you (Russia - the special country). But I do not have time and money that them to use.
2) Written by me concerns to documents only regimentern and divisions of Germany. Documents of an army part, groups of armies and so on are translated also access to them is possible. Documents of the Soviet parts are accessible to you also. However, I consider that the most interesting information for today - in documents regimentern and divisions.
3). The answer to my inquiry has come in 2 months (I live in Moscow)
4). They have what documents of 45 divisions? They have not specified. I shall write once again...

Frederick L Clemens

Post by Frederick L Clemens » 17 Jan 2008, 20:16

That is sad news. Imagine an archives with German WW2 documents and
- they don't have people there who read German
- they still worry about state secrets that might hurt them

Somebody please launch a revolution in Moscow and seize control of the archives for all historians!!!

AMVAS

Re: Bad news from TsAMO (Wehrmacht-files)

Post by AMVAS » 26 Feb 2008, 19:53

TsAMO is famous for unexpected restrictions...
All the time I wonder how my friend can stay in it the whole days and weeks working... :?

Rostislav

Post by Rostislav » 17 Aug 2008, 18:21

Recently I talked with one of those researchers who often happens in TsAMO. He has explained me, that the main reason of that documents of German army do not give out to researchers not that they are confidential. The reason that they till now are not allocated on archival funds (i.e. till now lay how them have brought from the Soviet-German front). Therefore documents are not ready for research work. They lay so already almost 70 years. Possibly, will lay still very long - in archive there are no the people knowing foreign language. It is difficult to believe in it, but I think that it is the truth (especially if documents concern to divisions or Regiments, battalions and so on).

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 16 Sep 2008, 20:40

I imagine what number of Italian, romanian and Hungarian documents are stored unsorted there... 8O

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 27 Nov 2013, 12:25

HI all,

I just wanted to check if the situation had changed in these past five years? Is there something like an online list of captured German materials stored in Russian archives?

Thanks in advance,

G.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 27 Nov 2013, 21:20

G. Trifkovic wrote:HI all,

I just wanted to check if the situation had changed in these past five years? Is there something like an online list of captured German materials stored in Russian archives?

Thanks in advance,

G.
According to my information there exists an agreement between Russian and German sides about digitalizing of captured records. No any index still exists. I obtain only index of translated records, which is ~3% of all records.
According to my information the equipment reserved for those works are not used now and no information when those works can start

Regards
Alex

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 27 Nov 2013, 23:32

AMVAS wrote:
G. Trifkovic wrote:HI all,

Thanks in advance,

G.
According to my information there exists an agreement between Russian and German sides about digitalizing of captured records. No any index still exists. I obtain only index of translated records, which is ~3% of all records.
According to my information the equipment reserved for those works are not used now and no information when those works can start

Regards
Alex
Thanks Alex! Please post any new information you obtain.

Cheers,

G.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 28 Nov 2013, 21:17

G. Trifkovic wrote:
Thanks Alex! Please post any new information you obtain.

Cheers,

G.
No good information. here exists a deep conflict between administration and some part of researchers. This can result in further restrictions in access to TsAMO documents

ain92

Post by ain92 » 19 Dec 2013, 18:34

Hello all,
the conflict was exposed to the public (with some details) by Yu. I. Pasholok here (of course, anyone reading the post should remember that this is the concerned person's point of view).
With best regards, Ilya.

AMVAS

Post by AMVAS » 19 Dec 2013, 18:53

ain92 wrote:Hello all,
the conflict was exposed to the public (with some details) by Yu. I. Pasholok here (of course, anyone reading the post should remember that this is the concerned person's point of view).
Just which case I had in mind

Return to “Archives”