Cost of images from Bundesarchiv

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Richard Hargreaves

Cost of images from Bundesarchiv

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 20 Mar 2009, 19:20

Has anyone bought images from the BA for publication in a book? I ask because it asks for various credit card details before giving the price of said purchase - which is fine if they're cheap, not so much fun if they're a fair whack.

Qvist

Re: Cost of images from Bundesarchiv

Post by Qvist » 21 Mar 2009, 21:41

I don't know the price, but I have the impression from what I have heard from others that they charge a relatively high price for using images in a book. Sorry, not too helpful but perhaps better than nothing.

cheers

fortrees44

Post by fortrees44 » 22 Mar 2009, 18:39

It depends on the number of books to be published, up to 3000 the price is 15,34 € each picture.

Regards

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 22 Mar 2009, 18:56

The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 24 Mar 2009, 00:38

How about all these non-watermarked BA images at Wikipedia Commons? The language at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commo ... _Wikimedia seems a little ambiguous to me, especially the areas I've indicated in bold:
Commons:Reusing content outside Wikimedia
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository

This page is intended for those who wish to reuse material (text and/or graphics) from the Wikimedia projects — on their own website, in print, or otherwise. It focuses on Commons as this is explicitly a collection of reusable media.

The Wikimedia Foundation owns almost none of the content on Wikimedia sites — it is owned by the individual creators. However, almost all may be freely reused without individual permission according to the terms of the particular license under which it was contributed to the project. Depending on what you want to do with it, you probably do not need to obtain a specific statement of permission from the Licensor.

While the copyright and licensing information supplied for each image is believed to be accurate, the Wikimedia Foundation does not provide any warranty regarding the copyright status or correctness of licensing terms. If you decide to reuse files from Commons, you should make your own determination of the copyright status of each image just as you would when obtaining images from other sources.
Warning on images of people: Even if a given image is pre-cleared with regard to copyright, this does not mean the image is pre-cleared with regards to possible personality rights, moral rights or model release, depending on jurisdiction. Take care with context when reusing images of people.

Licences used on Wikimedia projects

Text
All text on all Wikimedia projects, except for Wikinews, is owned by the original writer and licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Some individuals have also licensed their own contributions under additional licenses.

Wikinews is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 license (CC-BY).

Images
Images taken from Wikimedia Commons will be under a free license — possibly the GFDL, possibly something else. See Commons:Licensing.

Clicking on an image in any project will take you to the information page for that image. This will list information supplied by the uploader, including the copyright status, the copyright owner, and the license conditions.

Fair use provision (does not apply to content held on Wikimedia Commons)
Warning. Some content on Wikimedia servers is not available under a free license, particularly certain images on the English Wikipedia. Much of this is under the "fair use" provisions of U.S. copyright law. Before reusing such content yourself, you should check that your planned use of the material is consistent with the "fair use", "fair dealing" or equivalent provisions of locally applicable copyright law. Since this is a complex area of copyright law, you may wish to seek legal advice if you are not an expert in these areas.

Rostislav

Post by Rostislav » 24 Mar 2009, 07:07

Im ordered images and have some problems...Its not for price, but it is better to order images in firma selke only.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 25 Mar 2009, 00:08

BAMA has a special license under their deal with Wikimedia.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... de/deed.en
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 25 Mar 2009, 11:34

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I must say under 16 Euros is extremely reasonable (way cheaper than most archives). I paid upwards of £100 per image for use of some Timepix images in my Poland book. 8O The IWM charge around £50 per image.

I do my utmost to source pictures from anywhere other than archives (easier for 1939-42), but come the war's end, I'm almost entirely reliant on the libraries, which isn't cheap. :(

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 25 Mar 2009, 23:01

I believe NARA has the best prices of all archives.

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 29 Dec 2013, 23:57

Just found this thread as I had the same question as Mr. Hargreaves. I am in need of about 20 images for my book project - the layout is basically done, I just need to replace some images with better quality examples before going to print. I am basically looking for images of German generals - most are quite common - and I have identified the ones I need from the BA.

So, is the pricing basically the same as posted above?

Is the turnaround time after I submit the printed PDF pretty quick?

Also, I have looked at the Wiki Commons section as posted above by Mr. Miller. There are great images but they all seem to download at only 50 dpi so I'm unclear as to how there is a FULL RESOLUTION option (as stated on the site). Am I missing something? It seems I need the higher dpi and the BA examples will suffice as they are all around 300 dpi.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 06 Jan 2014, 20:31

Ok, I'm in. I ht the Aprilroval and have 23 images that I desperately need in my cart. But, the payment system is down and has been since last wee. Anyone know how long its been down or have info as to when it will be up?

Return to “Archives”