Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Names of German POW's in USA WWII

Discussions on archives, copyright and similar issues.

Names of German POW's in USA WWII

Postby tunabyte on 02 Apr 2010 07:54

I am looking to find a list or archiv of names of German POW's held in the USA (Texas) in WWII. My grandfather was taken as a POW and held in Texas until the end of the war. I would like to find out which POW camp he was held in and any details about it. One of the problems though is how he used his name. His correct name is Kurt Gunther Emil von der Linde. Many times our last name was written as v.d. Linde and also van der Linde. He used the last name van der Linde to immigrate to the US because he was afraid they wouldn't let him in if they new he was a German soldier. Also, I speak very little German so I have a hard time finding information on the German web sites.

Thank you for any help or suggestions,

Kurt v.d. Linde
tunabyte
United States

Re: Names of German POW's in USA WWII

Postby Penn44 on 02 Apr 2010 09:19

Contact these two Texas A&M professors mention in the article:

http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2084131/i/Universi ... n_POWs.pdf

They should have knowledge of the available resources.

You may find something in the US Army Provost Marshall records at the National Archives (NARA), College Park, Maryland such as camp rosters. You'll need to visit there in order to go through the file boxes.

NARA also has US military keep interrogration reports on thousands of German POWs. Years ago, I remember seeing a binder with the names of the Germans for whom there was an interrogation report. If there is an interrogation report on your grandfather, it would probably list the interrogation center (and perhaps interrogator) that conducted the interrogation.

Once you know what camp(s) your grandfather was in, there is a long shot is there a mention of your grandfather in the Army Counter-Intelligence Corps files, too. If I have seen some of these reports that mention the activities of different Germans by name - blacks/Nazi, grays/neutral, and whites/anti-Nazi.

You can also write the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Switzerland. During the war, they kept index cards on all POWs reported to the ICRC. They should have an index card on your grandfather. The card might mention a camp.

Did your grandfather mention any kind of outside-the-wire work details he was on? If he worked on a somewhat unique POW detail that could help you locate the camp.

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.
Penn44
Banned
United States

Postby tunabyte on 04 Apr 2010 04:12

Thank you for the info. My grandfather never spoke of his time as a P.O.W. and I didn't find out until long after his death. It wasn't until I became interested in my family history and started asking my father questions. I am curious to find out what his rank was. He had a college degree so I am curious to know if he started as an officer as we do in the U.S. I know that he was in a jeep crossing a bridge and his jeep wound up in the river below. I am not sure if he was shot at or the bridge was blown up, but he was pinned in the jeep in the water and American soldiers rescued him. I hope to find out more details about his capture in my research. I am writing a book about the experiences of my family during WWII in Germany. There is a very unique story that I hope to get published.
tunabyte
United States

Postby Penn44 on 04 Apr 2010 08:02

Write the German government at the below address for your grandfather's military personnel records:

Deutsche Dienstelle (WASt),
Postfach 51 06 57
D-13400 Berlin
Germany

The records should contain your grandfather's rank and other information.

I recommend you include in your letter the variations on of his name he used, his date of birth, and birth place if you know it.

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.
Penn44
Banned
United States

Postby tunabyte on 04 Apr 2010 17:45

Thank you again for the great information.
tunabyte
United States

Return to Archives & Documentation