Seeking advice about vintage photos

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Ken_NJ

Seeking advice about vintage photos

Post by Ken_NJ » 17 Sep 2014, 19:52

Not sure where this would go on the forum, it's about vintage photos so this seems like the most likely place.

A friend of mine has 100+ photos like the ones attached. Someone had sent them to her father years ago and her father has since passed. I think she found them in her father's things. I took a photo of the front and back of these samples with my iPhone so I can try and find out more information about them for her. These are all photos of the European and Pacific theaters of war during WWII. They each have a typed information page about what the photo is about and when it was taken. The back of the photo is stamped with I guess with copyright verbage of some sort.

They look like they are grouped in the many envelopes by date. So the Pacific and European images are mixed together. She is not entirely sure what to do with them, me neither. Some of the photos have names on them. She would love to see if family members, if they can be found, know about the photo or would like an image. This might require posting names online so they could come up in web searches. Also, can they be scanned and posted online? How should they be preserved? And many more questions will arise.

If anyone can help in this endeavor, greatly appreciated.
Attachments
PhotoA3-3 copy.jpg
PhotoA #3
PhotoA2-3 copy.jpg
PhotoA #2
PhotoA1-3 copy.jpg
PhotoA #1

Ken_NJ

Re: Seeking advice about vintage photos

Post by Ken_NJ » 17 Sep 2014, 19:54

Second photo with info.
Attachments
PhotoB1-3 copy.jpg
PhotoB #1
PhotoB2-3 copy.jpg
PhotoB #2
PhotoB3-3 copy.jpg
PhotoB #3

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Re: Seeking advice about vintage photos

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 21 Sep 2014, 04:18

These are photographs taken by Allied war correspondents. While it might be possible to find out more about some of the soldiers, chances are that it will be an up-hill struggle.

These photographs are best kept in collector-grade photo pockets (regular photo albums and most paper contain acid, which will damage the photographs). A search for 'acid-free album' will give you ample results.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”