Obtaining copyrigths of Die Deutsche Wochenschau

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
fanatyk6

Obtaining copyrigths of Die Deutsche Wochenschau

Post by fanatyk6 » 19 Sep 2014, 17:40

Hello,

Does anyone knows where can I buy copyright of Die Deutsche Wochenschau? I wrote to Bundesarchiv and they wrote I should ask by Transit-Filmgesellschaft in München. However I did not receive any reply from them...

Thanks in advance for help.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Re: Obtaining copyrigths of Die Deutsche Wochenschau

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 20 Sep 2014, 13:51

I doubt that they would sell you the copyright. They can license the use of some of the films, but don't expect it to be cheap, and note their comment on not licensing for private use:

http://www.transitfilm.de/en/lizenzen/a ... ienst.html

You can try calling them during business hours, if you don't want to wait for an e-mail reply.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 20 Sep 2014, 18:54

The US Archives hold a lot of these films and they are copyright free. Whilst we are on the subject are there good digital copies of the 1944-45 newsreels available. to purchase?
Have the 'missing' ones turned up yet?
I have never seen 719,728,733,740, 742 & 753

fanatyk6

Post by fanatyk6 » 20 Sep 2014, 22:24

Thanks for help. Michael can you post any adress of the net site of those US archives? So, are Die Deutsche Wochenschau movies copyright free?

skoblin

Post by skoblin » 09 Nov 2014, 11:41

DDWS 719, 728, 733 and 753 exist.
As for obtaining copyright from Transit Films - this will not happen, unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money.
If you do use film from NARA, you will most likely be looking at paying for the costs of reproduction of the film - can be several hundred dollars per reel. Still, this will likely be much less than the cost of obtaining screening rights from Transit.
Also, if you use DDWS film from NARA or any other source, be prepared to show all the pedigree information if you are going to use it publicly, as Transit has been quite aggressive in pursuit of its copyright.
I have had several DDWS films from NARA digitally reproduced at my own cost and have fully itemized which NARA DDWS holdings correspond to which numbered DDWS.

Return to “Archives”