Obituary research

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Felix C

Obituary research

Post by Felix C » 12 Dec 2014, 14:11

I presume obituaries can provide personal aspects of the deceased which may be useful in tracing career activities in and out of the service.

Is there an archive for obituaries? Seeking one for a gentleman who deceased in Hamburg in March 1972. I also guess some of the newspapers have gone out of business or been amalgamated,etc.etc.

Pardon if in the incorrect section.

Annelie

Re: Obituary research

Post by Annelie » 12 Dec 2014, 14:46

There are archives for obituaries of famous people but for most there is usually an local
area record kept for obituaries sometimes by funeral homes and also of course by
newspapers. Can take a long time searching or maybe they haven't even been an
announcement of the obituary.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 12 Dec 2014, 15:54

Hello,

here's the link to the archives of the daily Hamburger Abendblatt for 1972 http://suche.abendblatt.de/ashao/calendar.php?y=1972

When you select a date a new web page opens. Scoll down there a bit and you'll find small images of each newspaper page for that day so you don't have to got through all complete copies but can selcect just the relevant pages for magnification.

Best regards
Torsten

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 13 Dec 2014, 13:58

Thanks to everyone. I wrote to a gentlemen who has an archive site but he did not find the fellow I am looking for. Will try the above.

Return to “Archives”