Help to find sPz.Abt. 502 Primary Sources

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
pintere
Financial supporter

Help to find sPz.Abt. 502 Primary Sources

Post by pintere » 13 Jan 2015, 01:37

To all,

I have a fascination with the Heavy Tank Battalion 502, herein called sPz.Abt. 502. I went through the section on it in Wolfgang Schneider's "Tigers In Combat", and have a great desire to learn more. However, I have a feeling I've reached the limits of research on it just reading books. I want to go back to where the authors got all of this information, in other words, right to the source! :thumbsup:

I want to get a hold of all available primary source material about sPz.Abt. 502. AAR's, combat diaries, even contemporary newspaper articles. I have a copy of "Tigers in the Mud", which has a few of all the above in it as appendices. This leads me to believe there must be more somewhere. After all, it would be a bit of an odd coincidence if the only surviving primary source material is what is pertinent to Otto Carius.

Here is the problem. I don't know where to look, how to get a hold of the material, or even how much material about it still survives. Still, Schneider's book is packed with info. That had to come from somewhere. So I am bringing this up in the forums here (it's my first thread, BTW), in the hopes I might get some leads. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

rytufrontas

Re: Help to find sPz.Abt. 502 Primary Sources

Post by rytufrontas » 06 Feb 2015, 13:17

Hello,

Try the following ones in BAMA
Erfahrungsberichte über den Einsatz im Bereich der 18. Armee und der 16. Armee (Jan. 1943, Aug. 1944):
RH 39/583
RH 39/759

I also would be grateful if someone have these and would like to share.
rytufrontas.net - Lithuanian project dedicated to military history on the Eastern Front 1941-1945

pintere
Financial supporter

Post by pintere » 18 Feb 2015, 16:50

rytufrontas wrote:Hello,

Try the following ones in BAMA
Erfahrungsberichte über den Einsatz im Bereich der 18. Armee und der 16. Armee (Jan. 1943, Aug. 1944):
RH 39/583
RH 39/759

I also would be grateful if someone have these and would like to share.
Thanks for the response. I had given up hope anyone would reply. But I was just wanting to ask, what exactly is BAMA? I'm still fairly new to archival research, so if you wouldn't mind giving me some directions, I would be most grateful.

rytufrontas

Post by rytufrontas » 19 Feb 2015, 15:27

BA-MA is Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv. It's part of national Archives of Germany.
rytufrontas.net - Lithuanian project dedicated to military history on the Eastern Front 1941-1945

Return to “Archives”